Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to have it

I have attended the informational session, gotten a referral, done research, and chosen my Dr. BUT my delima is diciding on when to have it, I want to have it ASAP but the holidays are coming up and I don't know if it a good idea, I would like some input please from people who have had the LapBand. I have a LOT of health issue going on right now and last vist to my family physican I had another blood pressure pill added and told I was pre-diabetic. I was recently suppose to under go a scope on my knee due to arthitis and sent home because my BP was too high. ALL of my doctors tell me if I loose weight it would help with my knee pain, BP and depression.

ANY input on wether to have it now or after the holidays is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

there is still 3 months until the holidays. if you have it now, you will be recovered before thanksgiving comes around. no you won't be everything and be overstuffed. if it was closer to the holidays, i would personally wait, but you still have time to get it done, recover, and eat some regular foods. the choice is up to you.

There is no time like the present! If you wait until after the holidays, then you're only facing the spring and summer holidays! Live for the moment, dont waste the time because the holidays are always going to be there, every single year!

They say ppl gain like 10 pounds over the holidays. That would be more weight for you to loose after being banded. There is no time like the present!

J

Jump on in and start the process. So what if it is getting close to the holidays. Either you want to loose the weight or you don't. It will always be something - 4 th of July, Labor Day, Birthday's, Anniversary - If you want to loose, get it done and don't care what the calendar says.

I'd say it's never to early to start working to improve your health.

I started my pre-op diet on November 18th (a week before Thanksgiving) and had surgery on December 2nd so I was on mushies for Christmas. Was it easy? No. Do I regret doing my surgery during the holidays? Not for a minute! I am currently 112 lbs down and am looking forward to spending the Christmas holidays in Onederland so I don't regret a thing!

Do it NOW if you are able! I had my surgery 3 days before Thanksgiving, 2010. I sat at the dinner table and had high Protein chicken bullion. It wasn't easy, but i do not regret it at all!

We are constantly making excuses for everything, like when to start a diet or to start exercising... If you use holidays as an excuse, then you will NEVER be ready...There are around 10 major holidays throughout the year!

If you are healthy enough, psychologically ready, and you have jumped through all of the pre-op hoops...then go for it!!!

I'd say it's never to early to start working to improve your health.

I started my pre-op diet on November 18th (a week before Thanksgiving) and had surgery on December 2nd so I was on mushies for Christmas. Was it easy? No. Do I regret doing my surgery during the holidays? Not for a minute! I am currently 112 lbs down and am looking forward to spending the Christmas holidays in Onederland so I don't regret a thing!

Good for you girl!

The timing and the holidays is EXACTLY why I want mine now! I will be healed enough to help out with the holiday preps and be able to eat with my family, just not have sizes that they do!

Thanks EVERYBODY for the replies, I feel so much better about going ahead with it after reading all the comments. You're all right if I don't do it now there will always be another holiday or reason to postpone it and I feel ready now to do it. THANKS!!!!!

Talk about bad timing.... i was on vacation for my last week of pre-op diet which was the first week in Nov. Had my surgery 11/10/09, so no thanksgiving turkey for me, but i did eat the Soup and some very very soft mashed potato...... By Christmas i was better and ate some Soup and reg. mashed potatoes and some green bean casserole.. and i was full and happy.

I say DO IT NOW...... your doing the same thing we all did before our surgery...... you remember the "i'll start my diet on Monday".... that's what your doing. No time like the present......

ANY input on wether to have it now or after the holidays is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Once I made the decision I moved full steam ahead. I started my 2 week liquid the day BEFORE Thanksgiving last year. I was banded 12/9 and had my first solid food on New Years Day. I just kept reminding myself that I had 49 previous holidays to eat goodies.... if I didnt do something soon I may not live to see many more....

Talk about bad timing.... i was on vacation for my last week of pre-op diet which was the first week in Nov. Had my surgery 11/10/09, so no thanksgiving turkey for me, but i did eat the Soup and some very very soft mashed potato...... By Christmas i was better and ate some soup and reg. mashed potatoes and some green bean casserole.. and i was full and happy.

I say DO IT NOW...... your doing the same thing we all did before our surgery...... you remember the "i'll start my diet on Monday".... that's what your doing. No time like the present......

THANK YOU!!!!

Hi! I AM having the same dilemma because i have a huuuuuge family and we always get together for christmas and new years and the entire week relies on food food and more food and by the end of it i always add on a few more kilos... why wait?! I had my first consultation with the clinic on the 28th of september and official consult with the surgeon on the 14th of october, have already done my bloodwork, referral, sorted out things with the insurance company and booked in a date... the 28th of November to leave 3 weeks to get up and running in time for christmas!

so i say get it done, and get it soon! you may be one of the lucky bandits who lose 10-20 pounds in the first few weeks and will feel sexier and healthier during the holiday period! most importantly, you can bring in the new year knowing that it is going to be the start to a new you with fewer health issues, and a guarantee for a longer and prosperous life! so DEFINITELY DO NOT WAIT!! we can be band buddies :D because we will hopefully be having the band around the same time!! good luck!!! wish me luck too! x

I have attended the informational session, gotten a referral, done research, and chosen my Dr. BUT my delima is diciding on when to have it, I want to have it ASAP but the holidays are coming up and I don't know if it a good idea, I would like some input please from people who have had the LapBand. I have a LOT of health issue going on right now and last vist to my family physican I had another blood pressure pill added and told I was pre-diabetic. I was recently suppose to under go a scope on my knee due to arthitis and sent home because my BP was too high. ALL of my doctors tell me if I loose weight it would help with my knee pain, BP and depression.

Hi! I AM having the same dilemma because i have a huuuuuge family and we always get together for christmas and new years and the entire week relies on food food and more food and by the end of it i always add on a few more kilos... why wait?! I had my first consultation with the clinic on the 28th of september and official consult with the surgeon on the 14th of october, have already done my bloodwork, referral, sorted out things with the insurance company and booked in a date... the 28th of November to leave 3 weeks to get up and running in time for christmas!

so i say get it done, and get it soon! you may be one of the lucky bandits who lose 10-20 pounds in the first few weeks and will feel sexier and healthier during the holiday period! most importantly, you can bring in the new year knowing that it is going to be the start to a new you with fewer health issues, and a guarantee for a longer and prosperous life! so DEFINITELY DO NOT WAIT!! we can be band buddies :D because we will hopefully be having the band around the same time!! good luck!!! wish me luck too! x