Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why do i need a sleep study

i had my appointment with the pulmonologist yesterday and without asking me any questions or looking at my chart, she said that she automatically sends her lap band patients for a sleep study. i told her that i do not feel that i need one, i do not snore, moan, have trouble breating at night, wake up tired, smoke or any other risk factors that i see on all the sleep apnea sites. my husband of 18 years said that he has never witnessed me waking up to catch my breathe. my question is, if i am healthy enough to undergo an upper endoscopy next week with anethesia why do i need a sleep study for an hour long lap band procedure? what if i did have apnea, my endoscopy is scheduled before any lung or sleep test is scheduled. my insurance said that depending how the doctor bills the sleep study, i can be responsible fr 25% of the cost. that is unreal. i have decided to go with another doctor that feels that i am not a risk factor for apnea, my neck measures 15 inches and he checked my airway and found i have a large airway so he is not sending me for a sleep study and will only have a chest xray. why do doctors put you through tests that are not necessary.

Alot of overweight people have sleep apnea or sleep disturbances and don't know it. They like to rule that out or your insurance may request it for Bariatric surgery!

My sleep study was the vest part of this whole process . NothIng better than a good looking guy strapping wires all over your body-!

i had my appointment with the pulmonologist yesterday and without asking me any questions or looking at my chart, she said that she automatically sends her lap band patients for a sleep study. i told her that i do not feel that i need one, i do not snore, moan, have trouble breating at night, wake up tired, smoke or any other risk factors that i see on all the sleep apnea sites. my husband of 18 years said that he has never witnessed me waking up to catch my breathe. my question is, if i am healthy enough to undergo an upper endoscopy next week with anethesia why do i need a sleep study for an hour long lap band procedure? what if i did have apnea, my endoscopy is scheduled before any lung or sleep test is scheduled. my insurance said that depending how the doctor bills the sleep study, i can be responsible fr 25% of the cost. that is unreal. i have decided to go with another doctor that feels that i am not a risk factor for apnea and will only have a chest xray and a breathing test. why do doctors put you through tests that are not necessary.

the new pulmonologist measured my neck and looked at my airway to see if it was narrow and the results were all normal so no sleep study is needed. i just wanted the first doctor to at least take into consideration that i did not have any of the warning signs and not incur an expensive test that was not necessary. good thing i went for a second opinion.

the new pulmonologist measured my neck and looked at my airway to see if it was narrow and the results were all normal so no sleep study is needed. i just wanted the first doctor to at least take into consideration that i did not have any of the warning signs and not incur an expensive test that was not necessary. good thing i went for a second opinion.

I really like the way your were proactive about this. I truly get the part about having to pay for tests that you don't really need. Unfortrunately, I do have sleep apnea and I am having horrible problems keeping my mask on at night. I am now(voluntarily, but not happily) incurring costs for neurologist + testing (co-pays), endocrinologist (co-pays and possibly some part of the biopsy cost) and next I will see a pulmonologist of MY choice. I have had 4 sleep studies. The only effective result I had was with the first one in 2004.

Good work on your part! All the best to you on your lap band journey!

~Fran

I really like the way your were proactive about this. I truly get the part about having to pay for tests that you don't really need. Unfortrunately, I do have sleep apnea and I am having horrible problems keeping my mask on at night. I am now(voluntarily, but not happily) incurring costs for neurologist + testing (co-pays), endocrinologist (co-pays and possibly some part of the biopsy cost) and next I will see a pulmonologist of MY choice. I have had 4 sleep studies. The only effective result I had was with the first one in 2004.

Good work on your part! All the best to you on your lap band journey!

~Fran

Fran, thank you for the reply. I wish you luck and hope you find a resolution to your problem.

Good for you for getting the second opinion. I'm here at the sleep center as we speak. I've been told that I have a wicked loud snore (LOL) and have aspirated a few times in my sleep due to GERD. There is a good possibility that I may have sleep apnea despite the fact that I feel well rested after sleeping. I would HATE to have to wear a CPAP but anything that will help me get approved with Cigna is worth it.

Good luck with your results. i hope you slept like a baby last night and that you get the go ahead for the lap band. We are at the mercy of the doctors for them to give us the approval for surgery. i have my physicologist, cardia and primary doctor's approval so far. Good luck with your journey

That was my favorite test. I have GERD so it was just an update for me. But I got a new machine and mask. If they say you need one, try different masks. They make a huge difference.

Thanks you guys. I have to say I couldn't sleep a wink last night. The tech never came in to put me on a CPAP so either I don't have sleep apnea or I slept so bad last night (waking up every hour) that they couldn't tell. I guess I'll know for sure in a few days. I did my Upper GI today which completed all my test. We should submit to Cigna sometime in the near week or so.

Roeroe, what's your next step in the process?

the info I received from my insurance listed the sleep study as a part of the process. I enjoyed my sleep study very much and now I am using a CPAP. If you don't need one they will know right away. I have been told that I will probably not have to use it after I lose weight. My insurance paid for most of the study. My husband is sleeping much better now!

i had my appointment with the pulmonologist yesterday and without asking me any questions or looking at my chart, she said that she automatically sends her lap band patients for a sleep study. i told her that i do not feel that i need one, i do not snore, moan, have trouble breating at night, wake up tired, smoke or any other risk factors that i see on all the sleep apnea sites. my husband of 18 years said that he has never witnessed me waking up to catch my breathe. my question is, if i am healthy enough to undergo an upper endoscopy next week with anethesia why do i need a sleep study for an hour long lap band procedure? what if i did have apnea, my endoscopy is scheduled before any lung or sleep test is scheduled. my insurance said that depending how the doctor bills the sleep study, i can be responsible fr 25% of the cost. that is unreal. i have decided to go with another doctor that feels that i am not a risk factor for apnea and will only have a chest xray and a breathing test. why do doctors put you through tests that are not necessary.

for me, the next step is having my upper endoscopy next wednesday and then i have two more dietician appointments and as long as the gastro gives me clearance after the endoscopy then i hope i am all set with the insurance. wondering if i might be able to move my surgery up. did you receive clearance from any doctors yet?

Roeroe, what's your next step in the process?

I have been given the official greenlight from everyone EXCEPT the sleep doctor. I don't think she's even read my sleep study yet. But once she's done that my Bariatric coordinator will have all the info to submit to insurance for approval. I am hoping to be banded before 12/31/11 since I've met my deductible and only have a small proportion of my Out Of Pocket left. So you already have a surgery date?