Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I must decide between Lap Band and Rny

Pats Fan in MA,

Thanks so much for the well written and thoughtful post. Good luck and much success to you!

Of course there are pros and cons to both.....I crossed Bypass off the list because of the long-term complications I've read about in several studies published in medical journals from the Bypass and malnutrition, as well as searching for patients who had the surgery over 5 years ago on forums (I couldn't find many). There are complications that can arise with the band as well, but the band, you can take it out if you run into trouble. The bypass is for life-complications and all. Please, please look into the evidence (and lack of long-term info out there) that shows the problems so many GBP patients are having getting in the necessary Vitamins and minerals. Long term Vitamin A deficiency means you could lose night vision (no more driving at night!). Long term Calcium deficiency means you could have early onset osteoperosis and break bones easily. These things are happening to people who have been taking all of their prescribed supplements. There's just not a whole lot of positive evidence from cases 10+ years out from having GBP surgery. And yes, I am extremely obsessive in doing this kind of research! Did patients lose the weight, and quickly? Mostly yes, but at what price in the long term? It bothers me that people aren't talking about this more. We are supposed to be turning to WLS because we are done with the "quick fix" method to weight loss (meaning losing a lot and losing it fast), so if that's the attraction for anyone, they need to put that aside when making their decision.

My BMI is 47-point-something, and I am actually looking forward to putting in the work in my eating choices and exercise this time because this time, I will also have this tool as an additional motivator and assistant in fighting hunger. It's going to take longer than if I had chosen bypass, but I'm okay with that. I think if you are going to be successful with the band, it doesn't matter how much weight you need to lose, what matters is that you are willing to change your life; commit to healthy eating and exercise, and the band will help you get to your goal.

Of course, whatever you do decide is what must be best for you. Just weigh your decision very carefully and practically. And good luck to you! :)

Wheetsin,

You're typing is fine. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the LapBand. I also worry about the longevity of the band. Wonderful job of losing 175lbs, that's quite an accomplishment. Thanks for your post!

This is never an easy choice to make. Both procedures have pros and cons. 100% honesty - if I were in your shoes right now, I wouldn't choose either procedure, I would wait until something else was covered through my insurance.

Band success rates 5+ years out are miserable. I've seen person after person after person getting their band out. Mine came out yesterday, due to a slip I believe happened in about 2008. I know a lot of long-term bandsters, but I don't know many who still have their bands. I don't know any who "should" have their bands (e.g. of those who still have it, they're showing suspicious symptoms and not paying enough attention, or are willfully avoiding pursuing proper care). Not many "oldies" are still here. I wish they stuck around a little longer so we'd have more long term anecdotal evidence.

WIll the band help you lose weight? Probably. It did great for me, and I was able to lose about 175 lbs. That's serious weightloss, and I COULD NOT have done it on my own. I do think the band is an effective weightloss tool, while it lasts. I do not have confidence in the band as a long term tool.

RNY is also a great weightloss mechanism, but it's not a tool. It will do more of the work for you. I really liked (and still do) the accountability that came with the band. And the flexibility. If the band could be trsuted to trulybe permanent, I think it would be pretty ideal for a lot of people. I never cared much for the malabsorption of the RNY, though it has great rates. Regain is a considerable issue. I dear friend of mine had RNY around 2003/2004 and as she put it just a few years ago, "I wish I'd known what this thing would really be like to live with." She's grateful for her loss, but is not enjoying the lie she assumed she would have.

I would suggest you give it some thought. Read the responses here, but keep in mind that most people responding are fairly new to their bands and still in a honeymoon stage. Also keep in mind that you won't get many first-hand RNY perspectives (since it is an AGB board). Be sure to ask the same question of RNYers on some of the other boards. Hearing their stories of life 5+ years out is just as important as hearing bandster stories 5+ years out.

This will be a very introspective process. Ask yourself a lot of questions:

• What chellenges do you have in weightloss?
  • What does your weight history look like?
  • Can you be accountable, or will you do best with a more "automatic" process?
  • What kind of post-op regimine can you commit to?
  • What foods are your triggers?
  • What overeating habits do you have?(e.g. emotional vs, behavioral vs...)

Your honest answers to questions like that can steer you in the direction of the procedure that's more ideal for you. Just keep in mind that "ideal" may be neither AGB nor RNY. :)

Sparkplug,

Bless your heart. Weight issues are the worse in my opinion too. I also need to do something about my weight soon or I might not be around much longer. Best wishes to you!

I am sorry that you are so down on the band. The band has saved my life. Weight issues like we all have is just as bad as an alcoholic only worse because we can't say we will never eat again and be done with it, like an alcoholic can put down the drink and never touch it again. I would be on so many medications by this time without losing and keeping off the 90 pds I have lost. More than likely I would have followed in my mom's footsteps and even had a heart attack from the weight I had, but I am here in size 10 and I don't know how long this band will last, but it is giving me more years of a healthy life and if it does have to come out ( had it 3 yrs so far) I hope I have learned enough to keep some if not all the weight off at that point. What I am saying is that there is no quick fix for this weight problem. I think it is a life long struggle with all of us and I wish I could say that I am fixed forever, but that would not be not very smart thing for me to say. I don't know how long this will last but I am enjoying this and each and every day that I have being small and healthy. I hope someday that science comes up with a permanent fix for weight problems, but I do not see it happening, all the surgeries are temporary in one way or another. Make your decision that is comfortable for you and enjoy every day and every year of being thin that you can. I have talked to a lot of people with all of the different surgeries offered and they somehow have beat the odds of gaining it all back. Good luck and enjoy life and your decision.

Loserbob,

Congratulations on your weight loss so far and continued success!

I know this is not supposed to be about you but I would be happy with any loss. I've had my band since March of 2010 and have lost about 70#. I wanted to lose faster when I started this journey but my dr. prefers to take a slower approach. I lost 37# in the first 3 weeks after surgery. I slowed down because i had small fills, usually .2 cc's each fill(there are 30cc's in one ounce, just to give an idea). 2 fills ago I had .4cc's, my last fill was .2 again. I have an 11cc band and at 7.4cc's Im starting to feel a major difference, My last fill was 2 Fridays ago and I have lost 6# since then and a total of about 16# over the last 2 fills(during my dr. visit 2 fills ago I gained 10#, to simplify, during my last 2 fills I've lost 16#. My point, everyone is different but the closer you get the better the fills work. It eventually gets easier. My dr told me she couldnt predict when it would work but usually between 7.5-9cc. Over 9, usually experience tightness or reflux, other symptoms.

Ive never really been upset with my slow loss because first, it was explained to me that this is life long(marathon, not race). Second, I havent done everything I can to lose faster, exercise, etc. Would I be happier right now if I could tell you I've lost my goal of 120#, yes but Im very happy because Im alot healthier than I was and my goal weight is within reach. 40#s sounds alot better than 120#. With 1 or 2 more fills I should be good, I love my band.

Dont feel bad, youll get there.

Brenda62,

Wow, that's an amazing amount of weight to lose...good for you!!! Continued success!

Yesterday at work (I am a groecry checker) A lady came through my line. She was complaining that she needed to eat more. I asked why, and she told me she had had gastric bypass 12/11. I told her I had lab band 4/11 and she said "well I have lost 48 pounds since December" so I told her I have lost 107 since April hmmmmmmmmmmmm which is the better route! Oh and all she eats are Protein shakes and Protein Bars and Vitamins That is no life, I prefer my lab band healthy diet life!

Yesterday at work (I am a groecry checker) A lady came through my line. She was complaining that she needed to eat more. I asked why, and she told me she had had gastric bypass 12/11. I told her I had lab band 4/11 and she said "well I have lost 48 pounds since December" so I told her I have lost 107 since April hmmmmmmmmmmmm which is the better route! Oh and all she eats are Protein Shakes and Protein Bars and Vitamins That is no life, I prefer my lab band healthy diet life!

I believe they're both ok, I didnt want bypass for the reasons stated above also. I have 3 friends who have had bypass and 2 of the 3 gained weight back. I could be wrong but I believe with bypass you can also stretch your pouch and I've heard of people with bypass having the band. I like the band for many reasons but one is if I get off track at some point

i can re-adjust and get back on track. If you trust your dr. fully let him help you make the decision that best suits you. I believe you can lose alot just as fast but either requires a great deal of effort in most cases. Just remember the advice on here also might be biased because its a band site. Good luck to all of you through this process whichever you choose.

I started out with the Band 5 yrs ago. In 12 months I lost over 120 lbs., I went in to see my surgeon for a fill, and it was to much.. He thought he blew the Band, So he deflated me, and would not see me again.

I regained almost all of my weight, and this January I decided to do a 1200 calorie a day diet.

In February I received a call from a surgeon who said he would be glad to take me on as a patient.

He filled my Band, and the other day I was weighed. I lost 110 lbs. from when I first got the Band, and the Ticker

is from January.

This Band has saved my life ! I am a 2 x LOSER ! LOL

I new a lot of women that had RNY, and they are all Buried in the Ground.... The Latest one was last summer. A friend of my neighbor,

who I new. She died from Starvation do to the Mal absorption of No Calories at all ! So she starved to Death.

We don't even know each other, but, I am concerned for you because it's big money for the surgeon. and that's it. Live or Die Fat or Thin. Its all up to you, is what your surgeon will tell you. He did his Job ! The rest is up to you.

With the Band if it's not enough they fill you (YOU KNOW THAT !) Erosion happens usually from Ibuprofen, So we kind of stay away from it.

Most things can be fixed, that's whats good about the Band.

My band is in place, but also stitched into part of my stomach to try to avoid slippage. Knock on wood, so far so good. Check that with your Surgeon.

I hope you make the right Decision, on whatever you do...

Shirley.