Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise?!....sure?!?...

I was wondering when did everyone start exercising. DId you exercise before the surgery??? how much ??? How long ???? and what RUNNING? WALKING? (TO THE FRIDGERATOR DOES NOT COUNT) Swimming? let me know Thank for your post and help....... I need it..

Just walk, as much as you can, even if it's only for a little at a time. I'm now doing 30 minutes per day on a treadmill but had to work up to it.

My doctor recommended no more than walking for the first 6-8 weeks. After that, he had no restrictions on exercise. The following is what I do for exercise:

• Ride my recumbant bike for 10-20 minutes 2-3 times per week
  • Bowl at least 3 times per week
  • Walk 2 miles around my neighborhood as often as I can
  • Core ball 1-2 times per week (w/ weights)

I've always exercised albeit a little sporadically when life got in the way. I did take a good 4 week break after surgery.

But I'm prone to doing what I enjoy - cardio. I have no motivation problems with cardio as I find it great stress release and it makes me feel terrific to get that runners high.

What I'm not good about doing is weight training and I really need to start some serious stuff as I really dont want to just be a thinner version of my flabby self.

i started out real slow, like one day a week. But i told myself as soon as i got to 200lbs i would exercise more seriously which i have. I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, i do 45-60 min of cardio plus weight lifting and see a personal trainer once a week. I never thought i would say it, but i really find myself enjoying working out.

;) :Banane23:

I started with walking (30 minutes VERY slowly) and then worked my way over to the elliptical machine. Yesterday I was able to do 50 minutes on the elliptical. You'll be surprised at how quickly you improve. I love elliptical trainers because I think they do a great job of toning you from hip to toe. My exercise consultant said to stick with walking or Water aerobics if you haven't worked out in a while.

I need to incorporate weight training into my workouts as well, especially for my arms.

Our PT started us out walking 10 min, 3 times a week. We're supposed to work up, adding 2 min every week, until we get to 30 min & stick with the 3 times a week part. At that point, we're to go back in & be re-evaluated.

Now, what we're really doing, lol. We discovered a video game, lol, DDR (Dance, Dance Revolution -- PS2 or XBox). We drug the mats back out & started out again... training mode, beginner level, speed 3, 1 song (about 2 min). After 2 weeks, we're up to training / beginner / speed 5 / 6 songs (12 min). And Mikey's starting to feel competitve, so I have to keep smacking him down, mwahaha! (j/k)

The main thing is just to move. If you're chair bound, move your arms. If it hurts to walk, try Water aerobics or DDR, lol. Find something that gets you moving! And if it's been a LONG time (like for us), keep it really slow in the beginning. We're in this for the long haul! Eventually we'll get to weights & major cardio, but for now, our little dance routine is doing the job. ;)

Good luck!

I find though, that I do too much research. I get all confused about what's the best way to go about it - free weights or machines? Heavy weights low reps or low weights high reps? What outcome do I want. To be honest I just want to be more toned, and to decrease body fat, I have no desire for major muscle definition, let alone being able to enter a body building contest. So probably a few rounds on the machines a few times a week with some free weights for the arms would be ample. I think I put too much pressure on myself.

I do NOT want to spend an hour each time lifting heavy dumbells.

I'm just rambling now, what I really mean to say is do what you enjoy too. Any exercise is better than none.

I've always worked out, no matter the size. Now that I've lost more weight I've become even more crazy about exercising. I ususally work out 6 days a week, it helps me stay focused and it's a great way to release stress.

I do the eliptical machine SLOWLY until my heart rate gets over the max cardio level. (usually about 15 minutes) Then I move to the treadmill - again SLOWLY and walk for another 15-20 minutes in the Fat Burning zone... my gym machines all have the heart rate charts showing the targets.

Just remember - the old adage about "no pain, no gain" is a big lie. Pain is bad. A little stiffness is to be expected - but actual pain is NOT.

If you can't get to a gym - dance in front of the TV or to your favorite music - vaccuum, sweep, anything. Just move.

Good Luck!!

I was banded on January 12 and I started walking... very slowly at first, but walking in the Hospital. I am now up to 1 1/2 miles a day.

I am a big Water aerobics fan and couldn't go in the pool for three weeks which is up this Thursday. I can't wait:clap2:

I am not big on excersise, but once I am doing it ... I love it !!!!!

One of my favorite comedic stories is the one about the guy who is in great shape and decides to stay home during a major hurricane despite of the fact he lives in the path of the storm. He is certain that he will be fine because of his superior level of strength and fitness. The punch line is "It's not "THAT" the wind is blowing but rather "WHAT" the wind is blowing that makes hurricanes so dangerous and being hit by a flying Volvo will kill you no matter what shape you are in.

I reverse this line to fit my work out philosophy as I say it is not "WHAT" you do that is most important but rather "THAT" you do it. I work out between 5-7 days a week and have for about 3 years now. I spend about an hour on cardio (30 minutes running on the treadmill, 15 minutes walking and 15 minutes on the bike) Then 3 times a week I add in some Upper Body weight lifting (Chest, arms, Shoulders purely for vanity) and that's it.

My suggestion is that you start doing the things you know you will have success doing like walking. Then set some realistic goals, this will ensure success and you know what they say success breeds!

Good Luck

I am not banded yet but hope to be by late spring or early summer. Cardio for me is walking from the kitchen to the back bedroom to hang up clothes I have taken from the dryer! By the time I am through with that I have had my cardio workout!

I joined "CURVES", but have not found the time to go as yet. That is part of the reason I never joined in the past.

I am walking my dogs about 1 mile 3 times per week.

They are getting in good shape also.