Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are you overweight?

What do feel has most attributed your your weight issues?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do feel has most attributed your your weight issues?

• My childhood/adolescence and all of it's wonderful issues
    • Illness
    • Bad food/fitness choices over time
    • Even my genes are fat!
    • None of the above, I just like food too much!!

I am curious to see why everyone here is, well...here. We all have a different story to tell, a different life led, so why are we gathered together in this one place to offer love and support to one another?

For me, I have a mixture of contributing issues. You know the childhood "eat all of your dinner or no playing/tv/swimming/etc", unhealthy body issues in adolescence, bad food choices consistently for years, and now genetics (everyone in my immediate family and beyond is morbidly obese!)

Just thought it would be interesting to see the most common factor we all have to deal with!

~cheri

(by the way, you can choose as many as apply to you - and this poll is anonymous!)

All of the above. :) Fat childhood, which of course led to injury, which led to sedentary life, then bad food & exercise choices (carbs & NONE!!, to be exact). My family history is a story of obesity & I plain ol' really, really, really like food.

Bad food/fitness choices as well as my genes... I would have chosen emotional eating, as well....I tend to feed my emotions.

Rheumatoid arthritis is awful stuff. RA and a low back injury have sat me firmly on the bench. My jersey's been clean for five years now...but I can't fit in it anymore! I used to do all sorts of exercise, but the last few years have been a challenge--it's hard to play at the dog park when my feet and knees are aching and painful.

It's tough--I want to exercise, but I can't move! Oh, and prednisone is not a weight-loss steroid. It's great stuff for RA, but it's hell on the scale.

Thankfully, the surgery I had three weeks ago has helped me lose over 30 pounds (since the liquid diet before the surgery, too). I'm hoping that losing weight will help me become more active and improve my RA and back, too!

my weight issues have everything to do with me. the ONLY time in my life i have been thin is when i starved myself. feast or famine for me.

for the first time in my life i am TRYING to eat not because of emotions or good taste, but because i need it to stay alive. good poll cheri!!

Had the early yo yo dieting because I was SO freaking huge in a size 10 as a teenager. Have the family history on my mom's side, everyone of her 7 brothers and sisters have weight issues except one who took after her dad. I really really like me some food, my life rotates around what I'm going to eat next. And exercise has been rather low key in my life until about 2 years ago when I decided to get religious about the gym. (hubby threatened to drop the membership). And if hypothyroid counts as an illness...lol I've got that too. So for me this up hill battle is pretty steep...but I've always wanted to give rock climbing a try...so going to make it this time.

Hi I am new and surgery in Mexico 20th of this month please say hey kathleen

Hey Kathleen! *big smile* Welcome to LBT.

A tip for you.. go to the "Introduction Forum" found on the main LBT page and then click on "New Thread" button. Then repost what you just posted here. Many will miss your introduction if it's just added to another thread already in progress about an unrelated subject - which you just did.

Again, welcome! And grats on your band date!

I've been fat since I was like 6 years old, so I blame my mom. :) Of course I guess she hasen't had much to do with the last 7 years of my life in which I make my own eatting decisions....:faint:

Good luck K@t! This step has changed my life, and I will never regret it!!!