Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you wait to start exercising post-op?

I can't WAIT to get back into it but I'm not allowed to for another 3 weeks!

I have been loosing pretty steady since having surgery so I cant complain about that. I do however feel that I have been lacking in the exercise department. I tried before surgery and I was able to do about once a week at the gym and maybe two walks a week with the dog. Like many of you I am one of those people who put myself on the bottom of the list. It was not intentional at all just life I guess. But after a couple of months after surgery I feel like I am worth it. More than worth it. I admit I still hate exercise but I have been doing it at least four times a week. I find that when I exercise I eat better the rest of the day. My intake of Water is higher. It is my goal to make exercise routine. I am not there yet believe me. Today I did 2 miles on the treadmill in 40 minutes. To most people that is not much but to me that is a lot. It means that I can do a mile in 20 minutes. I realize many people run eight minute miles and that it great. I hope to get to ten minute miles some day but I am on the map people. I have a time per mile. I am living and moving better than I have in a long time. Dont give up no matter how small keep moving.

I felt the same way but exercising has grown on me immensely. When I was heavier, it took me six weeks to work up to running for 8 minutes straight. I started running again recently, and what do you know 83 pounds lighter, I now run for 40 minutes straight and it only took a week to get up to that level.

I also totally understand the idea of having a time per mile. I'm training for a triathlon and just starting up some of these sports. The triathlon is a half mile swimming, 20 mile bike ride and 4 mile run. Using my times right now... it's going to take me like SIX HOURS to finish the triathlon! Thank goodness I have two months to train... and yes, the time per mile I started with is going to be way more than I end with!

I think your attitude about having somewhere to start is going to carry you really far.

Good for you and keep up the good work!

CheckYes you are an inspiration to us all. I keep working my way at the gym to shorten my time some. Today I did 18 minute miles and for me that is huge. And I love the rowing machine at the gym. I put on the tunes and pretend I am on the cool boston Water rowing away. I live in Texas so it is truely a dream but I really enjoy it. I never thought that I would say that but I do. Anyway today I did 8:30 to but 100 calories and when I started it was 11 minutes for 100 calories. I realize that the machines are not all the accurate but it feels good.

I am thinking about the Wii Zumba game to mix up my routine but I will wait till I see it up for sale.

On another note my mom and my husband have been going to the gym with me in support and it feels great that they are taking time to support me and help themselves.

I hate to exercise. Of course I always feel great afterwards and say to myself 'why don't I do this everyday!' But the next day rolls around and again....I don't want to.

I am 3 weeks post-band, and I know the weight will come off quicker if I even just take a walk.....right?! Why is it so hard for me to motivate! I'm glad this was posted, although I have to admit when I saw the title had 'exercise' in it, I didn't want to read the thread. I did of course, because I know it's something I have to commit to!

lol C'mon Jenny Penny...get off your A....

I love dancing and thought I did plenty before my band, but now (3 months, 27 kg), I can dance longer and with much more enjoyment - read - self consciousness! My husband says that he enjoys dancing with me even more now as I am easier to lead on the dance floor so there are benefits all round. Tonight we are going to dance class again which will make three nights of dancing in the last four days!

Plus I have my exercise bike in the lounge room so I jump on it when I go in to watch TV. I just wish our Aussie winter would hurry up and finish so I can get outdoors on my real bike!

I hate to exercise. Of course I always feel great afterwards and say to myself 'why don't I do this everyday!' But the next day rolls around and again....I don't want to.

I am 3 weeks post-band, and I know the weight will come off quicker if I even just take a walk.....right?! Why is it so hard for me to motivate! I'm glad this was posted, although I have to admit when I saw the title had 'exercise' in it, I didn't want to read the thread. I did of course, because I know it's something I have to commit to!

lol C'mon Jenny Penny...get off your A....

I read your post and got a little chuckle because exercise and me have never been friends. I do it because I know I have to and like you -I always feel better after I do it. Just keep at it. There are some days that I get to the gym and think ok in 15 minutes I am outta here but then once I move my butt I never leave. At three weeks post band take it very easy. I dont think that I really excerised other than walk until my doctor released me. Good luck Jenny Penny!!!

I love dancing and thought I did plenty before my band, but now (3 months, 27 kg), I can dance longer and with much more enjoyment - read - self consciousness! My husband says that he enjoys dancing with me even more now as I am easier to lead on the dance floor so there are benefits all round. Tonight we are going to dance class again which will make three nights of dancing in the last four days!

Plus I have my exercise bike in the lounge room so I jump on it when I go in to watch TV. I just wish our Aussie winter would hurry up and finish so I can get outdoors on my real bike!

I would love to go dancing with my husband. That might be worth looking into. Great idea.

Thank you for understanding! Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't love to exercise. I wish I did! I seem to get addicted to everything else, why can't I be one of those people who gets addicted to exercise! ugh

And might I add - WOW! You've lost a lot of weight! Congrats!

I read your post and got a little chuckle because exercise and me have never been friends. I do it because I know I have to and like you -I always feel better after I do it. Just keep at it. There are some days that I get to the gym and think ok in 15 minutes I am outta here but then once I move my butt I never leave. At three weeks post band take it very easy. I dont think that I really excerised other than walk until my doctor released me. Good luck Jenny Penny!!!

For those of you who are training to be in triathlons, marathons, etc; you are my inspiration! I can't wait until I'm there. Until then, working on my first 5K! I can do it!

I love that we all are at different levels and can be here to motivate each other! I started exercising a few days out from my banding (five to be exact) but started back slowly...walking, but not too briskly. I kind of felt a little weak, but I didn't overexert myself. As soon as I got the green light from my dr., I went back to my regular routine. It really does make a difference in my attitude and my outlook on being successful in reaching and maintaining my goal.

I am inspired by all of you and hope that we can be of help and support to each other as time goes by. :)

For those of you who are training to be in triathlons, marathons, etc; you are my inspiration! I can't wait until I'm there. Until then, working on my first 5K! I can do it!

You can do it! Just stick to a training schedule. I'm not ready for this triathlon and am scared I won't be ready but, hey, I am going to finish it! Even if I finish last I will still be able to call myself a triathlete!

I went to the gym today again. It is funny but this little posting has gotten me a little motivated. I like to see when others check in and post where they are. I am far away from any manathon of any type and to those of you who can.... man you are my insperation!!! I am really looking for consistency with my workout. Each time of go the gym I do different things and I bought the Wii Zumba game yesturday because I have been waiting for it to go on sale and Target finally came through for me. I will try it this week and post. I think that when I first started working out I didnt feel like I made a difference with my weight but now it is more about a mental control. I feel happier and eat less throughout the day. I need to add some 80's music of something to pump me up because my ipod had all kinds of music and I get a good stride and the a song comes on that is so slow and I naturally slow down with the beat.

You can do it! Just stick to a training schedule. I'm not ready for this triathlon and am scared I won't be ready but, hey, I am going to finish it! Even if I finish last I will still be able to call myself a triathlete!

Thank you! I will definitely do that!! I love your attitude by the way! That's the way I hope to be too. I just want to do it, even if I take longer than everyone else.

I definitely increased my activity. I work out in the gym about 40-45 minutes every day usually. I also bought a bike recently and having been going for a ride most every day. I normally do about 5 1/2 miles. It's been a big help and I'm glad that I'm doing more outside.

I am surprised that I don't read more about the activity levels increasing for those of us who have been banded. I was and have been an avid exerciser for many years, but obviously I was taking in more calories then I was expending.

So, when I read fellow bandsters complaining about slow or non-existant weight loss, it amazes me that many don't talk about increasing activity levels. Yes, it is hard to make the time to workout, but if it means you will get to your healthy life faster, why not?

Maybe I can be of some encouragement to someone about making the decision to get moving! I love how I feel after a good workout and last night attended a wonderful Zumba class. Yes, I was out of step with the cute little instructor and my upper arms were about the size of her upper thigh, but I didn't care and kept up as best I could. I felt good about myself before, during and after. That's all that counts.

LET'S GET MOVING!!! :D

I've recently started on the rowing machine. Wow! What a workout. It's full body and intense cardio if you row fast. I'm loving it. If anyone has one at their gym, give it a go ... even if you start slow, it's great exercise.