Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheaters NEVER win! Pre-Op Diet Slip-Up

I decided to come clean to the Pre-Op Assistants to my doctor (Dr. Ellner) last night after I cheated on my 2 week VERY strict pre-op Phase II (all liquid diet). On Day 4 and 5 of 14 (Sunday) - I added peas and carrots to my broth for dinner on Saturday night, I had 2 walnuts and I had five meatballs, Sunday. I fessed up and now I am on hold waiting for my surgery date (originally July 20) to be rescheduled. I am so bummed at my cheating, I'm starving, and I'm listless. My Protein supplements are about 25 g per meal, <4 g carbs and <4 g sugars. I know I just have to move on and the Pre-Op Assistant said no use beating myself up but that we would need to reschedule because it really is about keeping me "safe." I get it but I'm just so mad at myself. I was reading on the site and there are a lot of posts about cheating pre-op and I guess I was hoping it would be OK.

Anyone else go through this? So I'm still hoping for a July surgery date. Be strong, May!!!

MY BAND BLOG: http://may-mylapbandlife.blogspot.com/

weight.png

Heaviest Pre-Op Weight June 2011 - 197

Pre-Op Weigh-in July 11, 2011 - 181

Surgery Date (original): July 20, 2011 - BAD MAY, now rescheduled

NEW Surgery Date: TBD

Wow. It's good you were honest, but it's hard for me to see the point for the reschedule, since my doctor doesn't make us do any sort of liquid diet pre-op. Seems like an over-reaction...

I saw that on your blog earlier :( I can't comment on it thought because it says I'm not an invited user or something. I was sorry to hear of that, but I agree, a bit of overreaction to me, but hey, I'm no doctor and I don't know your history. Good luck!

Amy

I decided to come clean to the Pre-Op Assistants to my doctor (Dr. Ellner) last night after I cheated on my 2 week VERY strict pre-op Phase II (all liquid diet). On Day 4 and 5 of 14 (Sunday) - I added peas and carrots to my broth for dinner on Saturday night, I had 2 walnuts and I had five meatballs, Sunday. I fessed up and now I am on hold waiting for my surgery date (originally July 20) to be rescheduled. I am so bummed at my cheating, I'm starving, and I'm listless. My Protein supplements are about 25 g per meal, <4 g carbs and <4 g sugars. I know I just have to move on and the Pre-Op Assistant said no use beating myself up but that we would need to reschedule because it really is about keeping me "safe." I get it but I'm just so mad at myself. I was reading on the site and there are a lot of posts about cheating pre-op and I guess I was hoping it would be OK.

Anyone else go through this? So I'm still hoping for a July surgery date. Be strong, May!!!

weight.png

My guess is everyone cheats. If we had that much will power we wouldn't be having this surgery. I cheated but I am a nurse and knew what would metabolize fast. I ate Salmon because I was starving and exhausted. The preop is to shrink the liver and carrots aren't going to make a difference on your liver. My advice would be to keep your cheating secret from now on :).....

My friend ate a ribeye two days before surgery and drank a beer. He told the doc and still had his surgery. Another friend of mine didn't even have to do a preop diet. Myself, on the otherhand, had to do a 2 week all liquid preop diet.

I think they overreacted, but I'm not doctor. Just don't beat yourself up over this. You have come clean and now you just need to move on. I admire your honesty! Good luck on your journey.

My doctor doesn't require any pre-op diet at all! It's crazy they postponed for a couple walnuts and meatballs a week before surgery!

I know that I'm probably supposed to be more moderate than this, but . . .

WHAT? That's ridiculous. The diet is designed to shrink your liver. Your "cheating" wouldn't even be a blip in that process. Postponing your surgery over the tiny amount of actual food you had a week before your surgery is un-frickin'-believable.

Sheesh.

If I were you, I'd ask to speak to the surgeon directly to make sure he or she agrees that the surgery actually needs to be postponed. But then, I tend to be pretty pushy when irritated . . . :rolleyes:

Many thanks to all of you for the support. This particular doctor is strict but she hasn't lost anyone in all her surgeries and her patients have fantastic success but I did see that people cheated and STILL had surgery but I just have to trust her, right. If all of us had will-power or no food issues, we wouldn't be needing surgery. I'll keep you posted on a rescheduled surgery date. Thanks again!!

Best of luck to us all.

May

weight.png

weight.png

I began the 2 week pre-op diet on Sunday, August 14, by the 18th, I had added some chunky Soup and I talked to my doctor, who herself is a 2 year lap bander, she told me it was fine to add some more solid food. I had made it 4 days on broth, yogurt, Protein Drinks and popscicles. She told me I could add some boiled eggs, raw veggies and fruit and she said she even ate tuna right up til a few days before her own surgery.

AND SHES A DOCTOR? so, I assume it was ok. I went ahead and ate sparing amounts of tuna, eggs and tomatoes. and turkey. But today, I have gone back to the all pre-op strict diet.

seems excessive and more like a punishment to me. I cheated here and there last week and had a nice send off dinner to my tummy the night before the surgery of a Chinese food dinner. No one asked and I never told a thing LOL

Sorry to hear about the reschedule :( Good luck soon though

I totally agree that you shouldn't have cheated and you already know that BUT I have to say that your surgeon rescheduling your surgery to keep you safe sounds like a big power trip to me. I had no pre op diet other than soft foods the day before surgery. If he postponed it because he thinks you aren't ready or whatever, that's one thing but to say it's not safe is ridiculous.

I hope you get rescheduled right away!

I think it was silly for them to reschedule the surgery. I mean really, who has not cheated during the pre-op diet. If they say they did not, they are lying. LOL

Most of us have "cheated" during our diets, we are human. I went to a cookout 4 days before mine and let me tell you, i pigged out. i knew that would be my last time for all that yummy, bad for me food, and i went all out and drank some beers too. LOL

next time, don't tell them when you cheat on your diet.

"I coudnt take it any longer, Lord I was crazed, when the feeling came upon me like a tidal wave"...So, I had instant oatmeal and toast!!! with butter

What shocks me is most of the food you ate was Protein based. So how is that really that different than a Protein Shake? My doctor wanted me to do a 500 calorie a day liquid diet for like 4 months. First of all 500 calories a day is just crazy; considering I was doing a hour of cardio a day and working. Second the shakes gave me an allergic reaction so I stopped taking them. I still lost 50 pounds in the 7.5 months between consult and surgery.