Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got approved, NEED answers..

Hey all,

So most of the 'Post Op' threads are terrifying! Usually the ones that are age specific to the 20's are more optimistic and therefore put me at ease. I know that everyone has different experiences but I have some questions that I need totally honest answers to before I schedule surgery....

- how long until I can go back to class/work?

-how severe are gas/heartburn pains

-my boyfriend is extremely supportive now, but has anyone experienced that aspect change after surgery

-how long does it take to get restriction?

- would you make a different decision if you could go back and do it again?

Thanks for any ansers/advice!

First welcome! I will be very honest with you and I hope that it helps you in the decision making. I am a little over 2 years out. I started at 240 on day of surgery and I am at 180 now. I have gone from 22 and up in jeans to a 12-14. I was 51 at the time and a cancer survivor (my motivation for the band). My surgery was at 7 in the morning and I was discharged at 1 the next day. There were no problems, I was able to sip the Water first try and had broth for dinner that night. My doc put in a system to deliver meds that stayed in for 3 days, so I never had the RX filled for other pain meds. The day of discharge I had to be driven about an 1 1/2 to get home. I rested for a couple of hours and then drove to pool with my husband an hour away. I also went out the next two nights. The gas for me was bad, I didn't have the arm pain many talk about; but it woke me from a dead sleep the second night I was home. It was like this for maybe 2 days. I tried to move off the sofa at least twice an hour and move through the house. Support can change. I don't know where you are in weight, but loosing it changes you some. So you can be a different person in how you approach life. I have been married over 30 years and my husband spends more time checking to see who's checking me out now than he did 20 years ago.:blink: I don't really have restriction in the manner I think most people speak of it. I do know when I have gone to far with food, or eaten to fast. Two weeks out I was eating a hard boiled egg and not paying attention to how quickly I was eating. I found myself on my knees real fast. It was stuck in my throat and a big burp popped it out. No slime or anything, just that chuck of egg. LESSON LEARNED!!! I can eat bread, Pasta, salads and chicken without a problem; many people have trouble with all of these.

I would do this over and over and over! I love my band and wish I could have done it in my 30's. That would have given me 20 more years of happiness. I hated to shop, everything that fit looked so old and tired. I couldn't even have "cute" shoes because the extra weight made it to hard for me to walk in heels.

Recently my husband was looking at a pic of the family from about 10 years ago and said, "OMG, I didn't realize that you were that big!" Well I thought I knew, but I really looked a lot larger than I thought.

Welcome aboard! I took two weeks off work on the advice of my surgeon and am glad that I did. The anasthetic always knocks me out for a week anyway. I had left shoulder pain for 10 days. The nurse said it was gas pain, but my surgeon said it was referred pain from my diaphragm.

My husband of 30 years is really proud of my success (25kg so far) and says I dance much better already because I am lighter on my feet - I could be flying by the time I reach my first goal of 99kg.

From what I have read here, and from what my surgeon says, reaching restriction is different for everyone. I was banded 13 April and have had three fills, totl 5.5cc and feel that I have reached a really good point where I feel satisfied after a very small meal, don't feel hungry for about four hours, and am still losing weight. Some days (like today) I want to eat more but not because I am hungry, more to do with overtiredness and letting my danger foods get into the house - they will be gone tomorrow!

Would I do it again? Definitely! I feel so much better already and am really looking forward to my son's wedding next year when I won't be embarrassed to be in his photos.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Well I had my band placed wed. So I'm pretty fresh. So far I've lost 5lbs. It sucks. I'm not going to lie. I felt pretty crappy until today. The gas pain is awful! But I am now getting it out! I've only been married for about 10 months and so far my husband started smoking again Haha probably because the last few days I haven't been pleasant to be around. But he's still treating me the same. Would I do it over? Absolutely. I may be hungry and can't have anything but broth (yuck) but this too shall pass. I figure this time next week ill be somewhat back to normal. One day at a time.

Hi, Know I am not 20 something but my daughter is considering having the lap ban too. I am 2 years out and 60 lbs lighter.

1- Class Work, You should be fine in a week to get back to class.

2- Gas pains I had. Purchase chew-able gas-ex . Only had gas pain occasional during first day or two

3- Make sure he is not an eating buddy! as this will have to change

4-Your will not want to eat during the first few days, Just do what the dr says! Things inside are swollen so you will not feel like eating that much. Important to get Protein, I ate a lot of Egg Drop Soup few days after surgery. Also their are clear Protein drinks,

5- Yes I would do it again, only wish I would have done it much sooner.

Hey all,

So most of the 'Post Op' threads are terrifying! Usually the ones that are age specific to the 20's are more optimistic and therefore put me at ease. I know that everyone has different experiences but I have some questions that I need totally honest answers to before I schedule surgery....

-my boyfriend is extremely supportive now, but has anyone experienced that aspect change after surgery

Hi! I had my surgery done on June 30th so tomorrow is my 2 weeks. I've been on the liquid diet for 2 weeks and tomorrow I get to start pureed foods! I'm down 12lbs and happy with that. I lost the first 6 days then my weight loss stopped for 6 days but this morning I was down 1.5lbs. So just keep at it and don't get discouraged like I almost did!

I was back to work after a week and 3 days and it was a little rough but that is because I am on my feet for 7 hours and do a lot of bending over and lifting. I know if I were just going to class I would have been fine after 1 week.

The gas pains were a little uncomfortable but I didn't try the gas-x. I have read it really helps so if I were to do it over again I would for sure have those ready. I've also heard Jello Water helps but I was so swollen my belly couldn't hold enough for it to help. It does pass though after a few days.

My husband has been extremely supportive threw the whole process. I know it's hard but I tried my hardest to not take my frustration out on him because this was my choice to get the surgery not his. He cooked for our children and himself to help me out then I was ready to go back into cooking. What helped me was to drink my meal supplement before I started cooking or before they ate so that my belly was full and I wasn't temped or frustrated.

I'm not sure on the restriction since I'm so soon out.

I would for sure do it again, nothing I went threw after surgery is worse than staying this heavy any longer!

Good luck!!!

Hey all,