Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHEN WHEN WHEN??? (venting)

So another question: Is your energy level really compromised? Are you more or less energetic now?

Yep- I have WAY more energy than I did before.

I know I need to be PATIENTTTTTTT, but I just thought I'd be ont he road to losing by now for sure! I have a rodeo to go to in May where I always seem to run into hubbys cute n skinny old flame and IIIIII want to be PERTY on his arm for once!

I'm so sorry, but cute does not equal skinny, fat does not equal ugly.

From your avatar you are already PERTY

Ok, don't flip out yet! I lost 20 pounds in the first two weeks and then nothing. It took me 4 fills to get restriction. I have it now and lose regualrly when I can stay away from the peanut m&m's on a daily basis. Mostly, I am really happen because I haven't gained. I ate like a mad woman from the middle of December until last week and didn't gain 1 pound. I have great restriction on most days. I am at 2.9 in a 4.0. Everyone goes through days with no restriction. Those days are killers. I will go weeks with barely getting food down and then all of a sudden 1 night I will be able to eat an entire small frozen pizza all by myself with no pain, no restriction nothing. Then a few days later it comes back and I can't get anything down for days. I don't know what causes this, but to answer your question, it takes time to get right where you need, but don't stop getting the fills until you are there! Stay on top of it and make your doctor also until you feel the restriction you are looking for. I waited 6 months thinking I could just hold off. Well, I lost nothing in those 6 months. Just be patient, not 6 months patient, but maybe 6 days patient.

I lost the most on the liquid diet...about 15-17lbs and then about averaged out a lb a week. Some weeks I don't loose and some weeks I loose 2...and some really bad weeks I gain a lb or two.

I went back to the gym one week out, and did elliptical and treadmill alright. The spin class was a bit uncomfortable in my port area, and salsa class was a bit more tiring than I remembered. I started walking in the hostpial that night, and walked for 10-15 increments throughout the day until I went back to the gym. I didn't start weight lifting again until 6 weeks out.

I started working in a daycare 2 weeks out from surgery and did fine. Just be careful about lifting over 20lbs.

My energy level is way up, I'm not doing so good with couting calories now, but when I was still on liquids I was getting about 600-800 calories a day. I was so amazed I didn't feel tired even with this low amount of calories.

I haven't had my first fill yet, waiting on the dr office to schedule it. I don't have restriction in the true sense either. I just keep telling myself to hang on and stick it out and eventually it will get easier when I have restriction.

Good luck, and just keep in mind the band is only a tool, its still work to loose weight, the band is just there to remind you what you are all about.

Melissa

Can I get some responses on "average" weight loss the first month?

I lost about 16 pounds the first month because I was on PURE LIQUIDS! I'm sure 5-7 of those pounds were Water.

What is the average calorie intake the first few months following the proceedure?

First month average: STRUGGLED to eat around 600 calories

Second month: Probably around 1500 calories

Third month-now: Probably around 1200 calories (and I don't plan on going any lower)

How long do I have to wait before I can get back on the eliptical 7 do other cardio?

I started doing the eliptical 1 week to the day of my surgery. I just took it a little easier. I was back at 100% within 3 weeks (besides that blasted gas pain which lasted for 5 weeks!)

How long did everyone wait to go back to work? Most of what I do is at a desk... some occational lifting. Not much though and nothing over say 20 pounds.

I have a desk job as well and I went back to work within 1 week. Probably could have returned within 4 days.

What's the worst part of the first few days post-op? I've had two operations on my knees, (ACL) -- OMG! It can't be worse than that can it? Can you get up and walk around?

You HAVE to get up and walk around. It's not hard and you do it frequently. I did it because it was the only thing that relieved the gas pain. Oh yes, the worst thing for me was the gas pains in my shoulder. The second worst thing was drinking Clear Liquids for a full week.

THAT SUCKS. Didn't you puke or anything? What's the point?

>>>>>>>>>>>No I didnt puke.. the point was my band wasnt filled yet and then my first fill wasnt tight enough and sometimes it takes time to get it right.

What? Are you sure they banded you and you weren't "punked"?

>>>>>>>>LOL, I had no problems at all, No port pain, no nothing. I guess I was laying on my side and some ladies asked how I could do that.. I dunno.. Nothing hurt, I didnt have gas or shoulder pain either.

Why do they make you stay overnight then?

>>>>>>>>To make sure you are able to keep down Water and juice and make sure its safe.. the surgery itself is nothing. I actually had to stay a day extra... ANd I had complications and It was still soo easy..

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message -->

Okay, I have had my band for 2 months now. Yesterday I was filled to 2cc. It will hold 4 cc. WHEN AM I GOING TO FEEL GOOD RESTRICTION? How many fills does it take for Petes sake? I'm am getting very discouraged. The only weight I've lost is from being on the liquid diet! 7 pounds!

Sorry, bandster gal, in the course of answering funnygirl's questions, I forgot to answer yours!

I have had my band for 15 weeks; I have lost 7 lbs, most of that from liquid diet as well. Until my fourth fill yesterday (2.2 cc in a 4 cc band), I thought this restriction thing must have been some kind of cruel joke. I had none! However, I couldn't finish my dinner last night so I am starting to get excited. My doc also said he would start getting more aggressive with my fills, every 2 weeks if necessary, so I expect that my weight loss will start soon. Hang in there! It's awful to get a slow start after paying so much (in both $ and emotional stress), but hopefully the weight loss will come. :gluck:

Banderster_gal...everybody is different on their restriction..I am heading back for my 4th fill...and I fill some slight restriction on some days. I have a 10cc Vanguard band and it is going to take me some time to get there.

Can I get some responses on "average" weight loss the first month?

I lost 18 pounds in the first month after being banded...lost 20 prior to being banded.

What is the average calorie intake the first few months following the proceedure?

1000-1400 calories

How long do I have to wait before I can get back on the eliptical 7 do other cardio?

To be truthful...i didn't exercise at all until about 6 weeks ago.

How long did everyone wait to go back to work? Most of what I do is at a desk... some occational lifting. Not much though and nothing over say 20 pounds.

Surgery was on Friday, I was back at work Wednesday. I had alot of pain at the port incision, but it cleared up in about a week. My job is sitting in front of a computer too.

What's the worst part of the first few days post-op? I've had two operations on my knees, (ACL) -- OMG! It can't be worse than that can it? Can you get up and walk around?

Pain where the port was? That was the worst for me. I held my tummy at the port for 2 weeks so it wouldn't hurt when I got up from bed or chair. I hear the pain is minor for most people. I slept in my recliner the first two weeks, but only because I am an extreme stomach sleeper and didn't want to do any damage to my port area. It was just more comfortable as well. Now I have no problem..I still can't sleep directly on my stomach, but can turn on either side now.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> __________________

I had my first fill Tuesday. I still feel hungry. I have talked to a few friends about this, and they do not have the band. But, they say you have to get over what is in your head. I mean telling yourself to not eat. Well excuse me.....but I got over weight from eatting all the time when I wasn't really hungry, I just wanted to eat. Now I have the band, and I guess I was expecting a miracle to get in my head and make me lose that feeling. I guess that would be called willpower. where do you buy that at?

Banster Girl

I have had 3 fills and I'm up to 7cc and I have no restriction. I'm also getting frustrated because I'm not loosing.

I'm hoping it will happen soon.

Everyone says to be patient. I'm trying.

QuilterMom, how do you lose 67.5 lbs. with no restriction? :) Wow, that's like 10 lbs a month!

mrycrltn, I thought I did purchase willpower when I got my band. Lord knows I don't have any in my head! ...head hunger is evil, wish I had a magic pill to take to get rid of it.

I just got my 4th fill. I'm up to 8cc. Feeling a little restriction. I think I'm feeling that full thing as well. Haven't gotten that much up until now.

Hi Gin,

Most folks dont have good restriction til they have had a few fills. I did not have good restriction til about 7 weeks post op (2nd fill), but I was very compliant, super obese and lost about 27 pounds my first month of banding. You will have restriction. Be diligent about the fills til you get the restriction yiou are looking for.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-150 ish

I didn't read through all of the posts but my band will hold 4 cc and currently I have 2.7cc. I am going for a fill on Thurs. I have some restriction but not enough. This will be my 2nd fill.