Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too soon for protein shakes?

I had my band put in on the 16th. Is it too soon for me to drink a Protein shake? I have been on Clear liquids, but I would like a Myoplex shake or at least a few drinks of one.

My doctor suggested drinking them from the beginning.

I was On Protein Shakes and liquids from day of Surgery - now on mushies .I quess every doctor is different -

My doctor suggested drinking them from the beginning.

It depends on your doc. They should've gave you a diet Plan that lists what you can have at what stage. You can't go by what people here say for this, since every doc does it different

My menu plan says Clear Liquids 1-2 days and then Full Liquids days 2-week 2, then start mushies.....

Protein Shakes mixed with Water should be ok days 1 & 2, then mixed with milk should be ok after at least 2 days.....

Good luck!!! :)

Yep ! It should be drank... Take it easy, and enjoy.

My doctor told me that if i could tolerate it right after surgery it was fine. Just take small sips and see how you feel. I started drinking them on the second day and I was banded on the 14th.

I agree about following what your doctor said, but FYI, I was on shakes made with Water from the day after surgery. Made with milk after 1 week.

Ok - My doc did give me a diet and it says liquids the first week. Milk is listed, so I assumed Protein shakes would be fine. I might try one tonight. Thanks for your feedback.

2days post- up myself and HUNGRY on ice pops and Jello alone ! ;)Looking forward to a shake tomorrow!

Does the hunger get better with the Protein? I sure hope so! 6 weeks till a fill!

Ok - My doc did give me a diet and it says liquids the first week. Milk is listed, so I assumed Protein shakes would be fine. I might try one tonight. Thanks for your feedback.

To this day I still drink MUSCLE MILK LIGHT lots of flavors(BUT I THINK THEIR chocolate IS LOUSEY.) It still kills the Hunger Beast.

So I still highly recommend it.

Google MUSCLE MILK LIGHT, you should see some jugs of it on the screen. That site I think is the cheapest..

Remember ! Don't use a straw...

If your Dr. said Clear Liquids, pick up some Isopure. It's pure Protein - clear like crystal light - no carbs. You can't live off of it but it fills you up.

As for straws - you can use them. There is absolutely no evidence they cause problems.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches