Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wanted to share my story to try and inspire others. I was overweight all my life, but when I hit a high of 250 after graduating law school I knew something had to change. My doctor actually told me that if I didn't take drastic steps I was on the road to early mortality, which prompted me to pay for the surgery myself. I had my surgery six months ago, and now I'm at 188, just 3 pounds from having a BMI of 25. My ultimate goal is 175 pounds (I'm 6 feet tall), so it's an ongoing process, but my progress is still steady. I'm no longer pre-diabetic, my asthma has cleared up, and I can run 2 miles a day. I couldn't climb a flight of stairs six months ago without gasping and reaching for my inhalor; now I live in a 5th floor walk-up. Everything about my life has changed -- I have more energy, feel healthy, and love what I see in the mirror. The everyday joys of weight loss -- stepping on the scale, having my clothes taken in, being complimented by old friends -- keeps me motivated. Thanks to a wonderful support team (the brilliant Dr. Brian Jacob, my health food cooking husband, and a dad taking the weight loss journey with me) I feel I can finish my journey and maintain a healthy weight. If anyone out there is in need of a support system of their own please message me -- I've been through plenty of ups and downs, and I'm always happy to help others through them.

:success1: :myscared: wow - great story!

I wanted to share my story to try and inspire others. I was overweight all my life, but when I hit a high of 250 after graduating law school I knew something had to change. My doctor actually told me that if I didn't take drastic steps I was on the road to early mortality, which prompted me to pay for the surgery myself. I had my surgery six months ago, and now I'm at 188, just 3 pounds from having a BMI of 25. My ultimate goal is 175 pounds (I'm 6 feet tall), so it's an ongoing process, but my progress is still steady. I'm no longer pre-diabetic, my asthma has cleared up, and I can run 2 miles a day. I couldn't climb a flight of stairs six months ago without gasping and reaching for my inhalor; now I live in a 5th floor walk-up. Everything about my life has changed -- I have more energy, feel healthy, and love what I see in the mirror. The everyday joys of weight loss -- stepping on the scale, having my clothes taken in, being complimented by old friends -- keeps me motivated. Thanks to a wonderful support team (the brilliant Dr. Brian Jacob, my health food cooking husband, and a dad taking the weight loss journey with me) I feel I can finish my journey and maintain a healthy weight. If anyone out there is in need of a support system of their own please message me -- I've been through plenty of ups and downs, and I'm always happy to help others through them.

sashamarie - thank you for posting such an inspiring story and congratulations on your weight loss! i had my surgery a month ago and have had two fills so far, one the day before yesterday, and then again yesterday because i felt no restriction from the first one - yet I'm still very hungry today! how many fills did it take before you reached your "sweet spot"?

I loved your story! I think it's great that you continue to stay motivated, which I'm sure is why you're so successful!

Congratulations! I am glad to read positive posts, because, just when I think I've made up my mind to get banded, I read several posts that scare the wits out of me.

I follow Weight Watchers program (or at least, sometimes, when I'm not in over eating mode, like I have been lately) and last night I did a search on the boards there for Lap band topics and most people were negative about it, and most of them because of others they knew that had problems, etc..... It's so scary. but also so motivating (with all of the positive posts AND to see folks I know that had it done and they look fabulous, and love their band) to see that, as a tool, it would help me to get the weight off by not overeating and to stay off once I get it off, while not going too crazy with the "not so good for me" foods. Eating the 'right' foods, I get. I feel as if it would not be a HUGE change for me, once I would get past the first stages of eating liquids/soft foods. Once I reached normal food stage is where I am thinking I would be okay, as WW teaches smaller portions as well. It's also important to keep in mind, that WHAT we choose to eat does make a difference in our HUNGRINESS (is that a word? lol). I have truly found that out by following a good healthier diet some weeks, with fruits and vegetables, Proteins. Not too many carbs, but I did have some, like bagel thins, etc... I found that when I did that, I did NOT even think about junk food so much. And that is saying something for me because I am a self proclaimed SWEET TOOTH FANATIC. I am usually okay with just a snack size candy bar if I really want it. My problem is when I get on these mindless, crazy binges. That's why I want to be banded, to help me from going too overboard at times like this.

I wish much success to everyone. I am still thinking I want the band, I'm just a bit terrified too.:blink: