Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just told my husband and truthfully it feels really good to have told someone. I don't plam on being the poster child for Lapband-no way.

Have you told anyone at all? Do you live with your parents? Won't they see you drinking shakes and eating much smaller portions?

Good luck with your journey!! We are here to offer suport :)

The only people I have told is Family, my best friend and my boss. The only reason I told my boss was because I didn't want to take my vacation time. We have whats called and extended illness bank but you can only use it with a doctors note stating why. She understood why I wasn't telling anyone and has been very supportive.

I don't plan on telling anyone else for the same reason as a lot of people mentioned above. I don't want to hear the only reason why I am losing weight is because of the surgery. This takes a lot of work. I think we all deserve the credit!

Can I just hijack for a second and ask something? Am I the only one who doesn't want to tell people about being banded, not only for privacy's sake, but also because I want to be able to claim a bit of credit for the weight loss.

I've tried and failed to lose weight so many times that I don't think people take me seriously anymore, which hurts my heart a little. I'm really afraid that if I tell people that I got LapBand, any weight I lose "won't count" and they'll just roll their eyes and say, "Yeah, she's doing great...because she got surgery! She's not actually doing anything!"

It sounds selfish and narcissistic I guess, but I really want to be able to be proud of my weight loss without that nagging worry that everyone's judging me for not being able to do it on my own.

Am I alone here?

Helllllll No. I myself have not kept it a secret, but I am not volunteering either. It is awesome to see such honesty and that is exactly how I feel. What you have to remember is you will be working just as hard to obtain weight loss with LB surgery, if not more...the band is just a tool that will make it easier on you. Just because we are banded does not mean we can abandon all of our beliefs ass to what makes us healthy human beings. I think those who have not done research are narrow minded in this area. They just don't get it, especially those who have never had a weight issue. Totally supportive of your decision and totally understand. :)

Well my surgery day is this thrusday (May 12th), first of all I want to thank you all for helping me through this journey. I had my pre opt testing yesterday and ...... all clear. To tell you the truth it started to freak me out when they asked me if I have an advance directive, it was so weird being on the other end of that question ( I am a LPN) . I felt such panic like seriously when my response was no. In case you all don't know no one knows about me doing this except for you guys...literally. I feel that this is a private journey and would like it to remain that way. So in essence this is the ultimate scheme. I basically am having my surgery on thrusday So that I can have the whole weekend off and return to work next wednesday, though I go to school on monday and clinical on tuesday. But more important I told my job that my mom was having surgery and I needed to take thrusday thru sun off :P and I told my parents that my school is demanding that we go to clinicals also on thrusday and friday this week so I would be sleeping B) over at my friends house just cause it's like an hour drive. Everything seems to be going ok right now, no one even gave me a second thought which was nice.:) When doing my pre-opt test I decided that I wanted to voluterally stay over at the hospital just because.....I know I will be scared shit :( . I preferably would like to stay...so we will see

Also I would like to note that I lost exactly 20lbs on my pre-opt diet it was not easy as you all know....slipps were made but ultimately I feel better about myself and hey we are all not perfect the band doesn't automatically mean you are perfect...we will all make mistakes on this journey.

Good Luck to you and i totally "get" why you want it a secret

The only people I told was my husband and two kids and if i had it to do over and could.....I would not tell them. I have lost 80 pounds since I had my LB Surgery in April of 2010. I was a self pay so I forked out my whole bonus from work for the surgery last year, a little over $11,000. Every time I eat a piece of cake or put more on my plate than he (my husband) thinks I should have he says, "Hey L.B. Girl".

I am really getting sick of it.:angry: L. B. GIRL!

Anyway, I don't blame you for not wanting others to know.....It is hard work...I have had to work to get everyone of those 80 lbs off and I, WE deserve whatever credit we can get......besides, it's more fun when you keep them guessing!

Good Luck,

Stagegirl :rolleyes:

my thoughts exactly!!

And good luck FadnoMore!!! Will be praying for you!! I've only told my hubby, parents, and sister....I will tell my 3 best friends before surgery date of June 20, but other than that I am keeping quiet....I'm a teacher and haven't told anyone at work, so if I lose a lot before August, they will get quite a shock!!!!

you took the words right out of my mouth.......

I have told the world...lol...it is a personal decision...at first I wasn't going to tell anyone but my husband...then...I decided I wanted and needed support from family and friends and so far the majority of them have been very supportive. There are a few that wonder if it is a smart thing to do, but...I know its the right thing to do and the right time.

Good luck!

Karen

Let me revise my original post. I won't be up front about telling anyone else... but if/when I am asked, I will be honest. If someone has a problem with me getting the LapBand they can go suck an egg. Life is too short for me to worry about what malicious thoughts someone else is having about me. Let's face it... most of the crap dished out is by people who are (1) Jealous, (2) Don't understand what its like to be heavy most of your life, or (3) just down right holier than thou.

I just went through treatment h*ll to save my life and no one... I mean NO ONE, is gonna tell me how to live it. B)