Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and have really enjoyed reading all of your posts so far! I was recently approved for surgery and will be getting my band on May 11th with Dr. Diaz at St. Vincent hospital in Carmel, IN. I am VERY excited!

However, I have a question about recovery time. The day after I received my surgery date, I received an offer for a new job. Unfortunately, they need me to start on May 16th - only 5 days after surgery! I am really worried that this will not be enough time for recovery and I will have to cancel my surgery. :( I called my surgeon's office to get more information, but they didn't offer much. I spoke with a nurse that I was unfamiliar with and she kind of laughed when I told her I would need to return to work so soon. This made me even more nervious than I was before! She transferred me to my doctor's Physician Assistant, but I have been playing phone tag with her for a few days and have yet to receive a response.

I know everyone's experience is different, but I wanted to see how it was for everyone else. How long was it before you returned to work or felt like you COULD return to work? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I have waited for this for a very long time and would hate to have to postpone it indefinitely! My new boss is aware that I will be having surgery and has agreed to work with me if I have complications, but I really don't want to miss any necessary training.

Also - any recipes/recommendations from Protein Shakes are also welcome! :)

Thanks!

don't cancel your surgery, have them wait so you can recover. They HAVE to accomadate for you since it IS a major surgery Tell them you will have to wait until you're less sore and have an easier eating schedule

As for recovery time, really everyone is different. I have a physical job. I took one week off, I felt like I could have gone back anywhere from day 5-6 post op. On day 7 when I was supposed to go back, we'd had a big snow storm the night before and my car was buried under over 1 foot of snow. I knew my supervisor would have been fine with it had I called and said my car is buried and I can't come in since she knew I had surgery. But I was bored at home, so I dug my car out and went. (not something I'd recommend though I had no complications from it). There are other people here though that I've seen struggle to go back after 2 weeks. So it all depends on you

I would have been fine to go to work after 5 days as long as it wasn't a physical job. Doesn't sound like yours is. If you are just sitting during training lectures I think you will be fine. However, as has been stated, everyone is different. Congrats on both your surgery and new job.

I was walking the track at the on day 5....but I took 2 weeks off per dr's orders and I had the time accrued.

It's hard to tell...I was fine to be back at work in 5 days but others have a harder time with recovery. Since you are going to be attending training sessions, as long as you are just sitting then you should be ok.

I was ok by day 5... I think it depends on you, and how you deal with pain,.. for me, day 4 and 5 I was out, I did things, went to the mall, got my hair done. I just wasn't 100% because I wasn't eating anything.

But, if you need to push it, push it. Mine was moved a few times... I know how important it is to get a new job!! But, I think you'd feel better if you have it. It's hard to get lots of time off of a new job. Probably better to do it now.

It's subjective but I think 5 days later you should be fine to attend trainings, etc. I was on total restrictions for 2 weeks and no lifting for a month- but that was because of an immediate band slip and re-placement within the first 36 hours

OK I just had surgery a week ago today. I had my Surgery on Monday and was back to work on Thursday. I was still on Pain meds so I was a little out of it. I did alot of walking and I was extremely exhausted when I got home. It is very possible to go back to work so quickly but you need to do what your body tells you to. I still have pain and I think the diet is has drained a lot of my energy. Hope this helps.