Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need support to get through pre-op diet!!

it really helps knowing that i'm not the only one struggling. today was a bust with the holiday. tomorrow i MUST do better. bah! maybe i'll do some meditations... help me get in the right frame of mind.

good luck on your surgery and your diet!

I did great the first 3 days but blue it this weekend by having 2 meals instead of the 1 I'm supposed to have. Sunday no sweets did good there had mashed potatoes with meal, I didn't get all my liquids in. Feel real gulity! Well, I'll pick myself up today ( Monday ) and start over, I still have 9 days. I do have a wedding on Saturday the 30th so I think I'll have 1 drink and no cake. Already ordered the chicken :) Good Luck!!! Sipping on slimfast shake right now. Surgery on the 4th.

hope you've had better luck! and best of luck to you on your surgery. let us know how it goes!

My pre-op diet has pretty much consisted of low carbs. it's a modified Atkins diet. I'm shamed to say I've not been as compliant with it as I should have been. My surgery is going to be on Wednesday this week...I'm going to start over tomorrow in the hopes that I can do better...I don't want to start out failing on my new journey.

good luck!!

I had to do a liquid diet for 2 weeks. I am down 12lbs. It has been tough. I am being banded in the morning. Good Luck to you!

I definitely have a dysfunctional relationship with food. If I didn't know it before, it became pretty apparant when I was shopping for my pre-op diet foods, I became seriously depressed and had the same dreaded feeling in the pit of my stomach as I've had when I'm about to have to break up with a boyfriend. I literally felt like I was having to end a relationship... That's down-right sick in the head!!

you are so not the only one. i had a semi-nervous breakdown when i was buying all of my supplies. i have cried so much in the past 3 weeks, that i wasn't sure if i had any tears left. food is such a huge comfort for me. i have had thoughts of 'am i doing the right thing?" "will i ever be able to eat again" "how did i let it get so bad that having myself cut up is the only way to fix it". you name it, i have thought it. i asked a lot of questions here on the board and went to the support group that is offered at my hospital. that has helped immensely with my decision to proceed. i also am an emotional eater though, food is my friend. it is my hope that the band will teach me how to be a better friend to food and not just eat and eat and eat and eat. we are all in this together, but i wanted you to know that you are not alone in these feelings. i am still scared out of my mind, but i try to just be calm and breathe and know that tomorrow is just one more day closer to my goal. it's one day closer to your goal too. keep up the good work, you can do it.

Hi,

I am on day 6 of a three week liquid diet and completly understand. I literally almost passed out on day 3 I mean my BMI is 62 you would think I could make it but headache, nausea, abdominal discomfort. It is just so hard all I can recommend is keep your self busy I just got back from school and it's already 1 pm. Later today I have my Psyc eval..very excited. I haven't weighed my self in these 6 days, I can wait until my visit on May 9th If I weigh myself now I will be stuck on that number..... you know. So as of today I have 15 days on this liquid diet. I pray for all of us.

Your post has perfect timing for me. I start my quasi-liquid diet tomorrow morning. My doc wants me on the medifast diet for 3 weeks prior to the lapband surgery. It was explained to me that this diet will help 'shrink' the liver so he can have easier access to put the lapband in. Apparently he has to lift the liver to get the band around the stomach.

I can honestly say that I'm not looking forward to the diet. After reading your posts I feel alittle better knowing that I'm not 'weak' (or nuts) and that other people are feeling the same thing that I'm feeling right now.

I wish you the absolute best of luck!

Carol

it really helps knowing that i'm not the only one struggling. today was a bust with the holiday. tomorrow i MUST do better. bah! maybe i'll do some meditations... help me get in the right frame of mind.

good luck on your surgery and your diet!

I struggled with my pre & post of as well. By the end of my first week I was bitter and jealous of my boys and fiance,

as they were able to eat... more specifically CHEW! I was the one doing most of the cooking and it smelled so good,

but my desire to follow through with DR.S ORDERS was stronger! I didn't want to let him down or my family for agreeing

to what I finally wanted but even more than letting them down, I wanted to prove I could stick to something. As it is, i have

had a few slip ups, and the guilt eats at me when I do!

My Dr.s told me not to look at is as a diet but as a change. You have already decided to make the change, now you just have

to decide if your will power is strong enough to want to stick with it to get the results you want! Good Luck!!

Shannon

Can I ask what kind of Protein you guys are using? I'm just doing SlimFast and Special K Protein shakes. I keep hearing people talking about the Protein Shakes making them feel full, but I never ever feel full from them, and certainly not for long. What am I doing wrong??

You can also go to any pharmacy and purchase protien powder mix to add to your drinks. Mix my drink, powder, and ice in a blender and voila! Milkshake! Or something like that anyways. This makes it more palatable to me.

I felt a ton of anxiety on my first day of the liquid diet too. I couldn't believe I was having a panic attack at only 30 minutes into the day! lol

I had to remind myself to live in the moment, not think about how I couldn't have any solid food for X amount of time. That was too big, scary and depressing. But, to think I can have a yummy liquid drink within this hour, really helped. It was a whole bunch of making it through one hour at a time. When I get busy with something, I forget about thinking one hour at a time because my mind is on what I am doing. Next thing I know, 3 hours has past. Yeah! I made it through 3 hours. Each hour adds up to a day, two days, etc.

The first two days I ended up nibbling on some food toward the end of the day. But, it wasn't much. It was just enough to make my stomach stop hurting. Instead of beating myself up and feeling like a failure, I patted myself on the back. I made so much progress from the day before. Progress, not perfection. Progress will help me lose weight. If I can still be proud of myself and lose the weight, than Woo Hoo!!!

I like the Protein drinks I have: GNC AMP chocolate and vanilla. I use sugar free Torani syrups for variety. For premade, I like the Muscle Milk banana. It finally occurred to me that I can make some Soup with lots of flavor. Make Soup like you usually would, but only have the liquid part of it. I really like green lemon chicken soup. I just leave the chicken and the rice for the rest of my family. An pozole. Yum! I've always liked the broth of that soup. Being excited about the flavors I get to eat is really helping me. I focus on the yummies I get to eat instead of what I can't eat for now.

Good luck everybody. I have less than 3 days to go till surgery.;)

I am 5 days post banding and would love to be on my pre liquid diet, cause at least I could eat something!!! Even if it was a piece of chicken!! I really thought I would not make it then, but I did. I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks and I guess that was my motivation. I have lost another 6 lbs since surgery. I am really hungry and have a lot of gas pains. I am having trouble with the thought of one more sweet thing being put in my mouth. My Protein shakes, sweet, my Crystal Light, sweet, Jello, sweet, etc. I am now getting Progresso Light chicken Noodle Soup and straining out the chicken and noodles, boy does that taste good!!! Along with a 1/2 glass of ff milk and I've got dinner!! Yeah!! But hang in there with the pre op stuff, you can do it!!!

Thank you all so much for your support, encouragement, and advice. I'm now on day seven of the pre-op diet. It's getting a lot easier, and I'M DOWN TEN POUNDS!!! WHOO-HOO!!

That also means under 300 pounds and below 50 BMI. So my first goal has been met. I'm really hoping to be down another ten before surgery and lose another ten in the first couple of weeks after surgery. So that I'll be down to 280 one month after starting the pre-op diet. I know that seems like a lot, but I think I can do it. I feel so much better at that weight.

As for my diet, I'm still going over the 800 calories, but eating super healthy. I'm having a shake for Breakfast. A couple of hours later I'm having a salad (with a little fat-free feta, a very few dried cranberries, and a home-made vinaigrette (I got the do-it-yourself kit and substituted Water for oil... practically no calories, but all the flavor!). Then a couple of hours later I'll snack on turkey breast with a little fat-free cheese (recently discovered the Laughing Cow brand... Pretty good and only 35 calories/serving). If I get hungry, I'll snack on some more turkey or an apple. Then I have a small, sensible dinner. And I'm exercising... Wii Fit, treadmill, hiking, and walking. I still crave sweets like crazy (been having PMS, so it's even worse) but I've mostly been able to avoid them.

I'm sure it would be better if I stayed strictly to the 800 calories/day, but as long as I'm getting results, I'm not gonna be too hard on myself. I feel much healthier, and I'm glad that I no longer feel like I'm having a nervous breakdown!!!

Best of luck to all of you!

I definitely have a dysfunctional relationship with food. If I didn't know it before, it became pretty apparant when I was shopping for my pre-op diet foods, I became seriously depressed and had the same dreaded feeling in the pit of my stomach as I've had when I'm about to have to break up with a boyfriend. I literally felt like I was having to end a relationship... That's down-right sick in the head!!

That being said... I can assure you... I am full-on physically HUUUUUUNGRY on 800 calories/day.

However, you're right... I do have an emotional reaction to it. My first day on the diet, I felt panicked. And I'm definitely having to struggle with separating my emotional hunger from my physical hunger. I think I'll play around with different kinds of Protein shakes and see if I can't find something that works better for me.

I was just wondering if you saw on here in the nutrition area theres a link for negative calorie foods? and if we eat them do we actually count them?

I am on the 2 wks pre opt diet. Low Carp, No Sugar and High Protiens of no lower then 60 grams no higher then 80 grams... this was not easy.... Its 2 protien shakes and 1 meal.. My meal is 4oz chicken breast with .5 cup of green Beans and slices of avocados and 2 shakes. I snack on apples or even some tomatoes. I drink the Lean Body ready to go...only one I found that I liked.I have my surgery on May 3rd. I'm a bit nervous cause I know am not even close to drinking all the Water I should be.. am lucky to get one 20oz of water a day:( , so far I have lost 8lbs... Good Luck to everyone!!

I hadn't seen that. I'll check it out, though. Thanks!

The surgeon's nurse told me that I could eat all the celery I wanted, because it has negative calories. I asked her if I ate a whole plate of celery, could I then apply all the negative calories to my diet and eat a huge cheeseburger. She said, "no." :-/

I was just wondering if you saw on here in the nutrition area theres a link for negative calorie foods? and if we eat them do we actually count them?

Can you drink tea or Crystal Light instead of Water? Good luck to you!

I am on the 2 wks pre opt diet. Low Carp, No Sugar and High Protiens of no lower then 60 grams no higher then 80 grams... this was not easy.... Its 2 protien shakes and 1 meal.. My meal is 4oz chicken breast with .5 cup of green Beans and slices of avocados and 2 shakes. I snack on apples or even some tomatoes. I drink the Lean Body ready to go...only one I found that I liked.I have my surgery on May 3rd. I'm a bit nervous cause I know am not even close to drinking all the water I should be.. am lucky to get one 20oz of water a day:( , so far I have lost 8lbs... Good Luck to everyone!!