Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved for surgery, but not approved for hospital stay

Hi, I received a letter from Aetna approving me for surgery, but they did not approve any hospital stays. My Dr. is appealing this. Just wanted to know have anyone experience this, and what was the out come? Help looking for some answer...I so want this surgery :(

Hi, I received a letter from Aetna approving me for surgery, but they did not approve any hospital stays. My Dr. is appealing this. Just wanted to know have anyone experience this, and what was the out come? Help looking for some answer...I so want this surgery :(

I'm not sure, but when I called my Dr. office they said they have to appeal it...most post i read people are going home the same day. Maybe, my Dr. is different...

What do they consider a "stay"? It should be considered a "same day surgery" since you'll be there less than 24 hours.

I stayed over 1 night, but could have gone home that day.

My doc says it will be done in the morning and I will go home that afternoon. Maybe your doc is super cautious. It's good he's appealing, so if he does feel like you need to stay overnight you won't be worried about the bill.

I'm staying overnight but technically only 23hours so my stay will be sameday procedure. My surgery isn't until 1030am so I expect to be in my room by 1pm and have to be gone by noon the next day. Find out if you can do it this way. It eased my nerves knowing that I was going to have help the first 24hrs

My insurance said the same thing but told me if there were complications I would be approved to stay over night. My doctor has people stay overnight but you are really there for 23 hours or less. We think of nights like a hotel no matter how long you were there you get charged for a whole day. Hospitals are apparently not like that.

I had my surgery around 11 a.m. and was home by 9:00 p.m.

Even if you can't stay, you should still be able to get the surgery, unless it is your surgeon who is refusing. Talk to him/her and see why an overnight is essential-- it could be that you have complicating factors that I did not and I don't want to give you bad info.

I had surgery at 8:00 am and was in my living room chair by 1:30. Initially I was told I would stay overnight but the surgeon said no the day of surgery. I was fine. At first I wanted to be in the hospital overnight, but once I was able to go home, I was so excited. It was nice being able to see my kids, watch my own tv and have my husband get whatever I needed instead of an overworked nurse who had more "sick" patients to take care of.

Medicare required that I stay overnight. Go figure.....

My surgery was at 5pm and I was home by 9pm... if you can't stay, you will be okay.

My surgery was at 11:00 and I was home by 2:00. I totally agree - if you can't stay, you will be okay.

I had to stay over night. I actually never got a room I was in recovery all night (was supposed to be in ICU because of my sleep apnea but there were no beds so I got stuck in recovery all night). I guess I was there about 24 hours and even though I could of gone home the day of surgery I was glad to be in the hospital. I hope your doctor can figure something out (I'm sure he will). Good luck and keep us posted.

My surgery was at 0900 and I was home by 1300.

No hospital stay isn't a problem. Talk to your doctor about doing same day surgery.