Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Bandsters in their 50's?

I am looking to talk with others in their 50's that either are trying to be banded or already have the band. I am a 54 year old lady in Houston Texas. I am a self pay and just trying to get cardiologist approval at this time. I would like to hear back from others in this age group. If you are in Texas even better!!! Thanks

Hi I had my lap band in Feb, 2010 and I have lose 32 lbs. and trying to lose 25 more, I'm 50 with conjestive heart failure and I have had a wonderful weight loss, but right now I'm stuck at 148 lbs for the last 4 months.

Hi! I have had my lap band in Feb 2010 and I have lost 32 lbs and still trying to lose 25 more, I'n stuck at 148 lbs., for 4 months now and I just can't seem to lose the last 25 lbs. But I'm still trying to anyway.

Is 48 close enough? I am new to the forums too. Still in the process of getting approved. I am anxious about telling others that I have made this decision. After spending most of my adult life overweight. My family can be a bunch of nay-sayers at times, and I am concerned about overcoming their objections. I think I will wait unitl after the informational meeting on April 13th. I have a referral from my primary physician and a verbal from the insurance company, so I think I am off an running. Have you told others of your intent?

Hey Texas lady,

I'm 54, live in FL, had it done two years ago, 4/09. I have an intestinal issue that caused some complications, but here's the results. I was 250lb, a year and a half later was down 90lb, had to remove all fill 6/00 for three mths, gained lots of weight back (no big surprise there), now, two years later I'm down 70lbs from original weight....so I"m 180. Looking to go back for another small fill in the next mth or so, I'd like to be 150lbs, but really, if I could just stay where I'm at the rest of my life, I'd be OK. I'm not skinning, but hell at my age who needs skinny. I was looking to live long enough to see my grand kids born,and with a little more luck, see them graduate college some day. I can now hike trails, tie my shoes without embarrassment, etc. Not that I won't still try for the other 30lbs, but I'm not going to consider where I'm at as failing. My only regret is I waited so many years to do it, but, before then the $$ would have been prohibitive. MY insurance didn't cover it, so I went to Mexico, Dr Ortiz, no complaints. I spent $7,300, last I took note is was under 7k. I'd think twice about Mexico now, for sure. But many of the US Drs are now competing better on price. My local Dr at the time wanted 17k, now he's asking 12k. For 12k I would likely have stayed here and dealt with a Dr that did the surgery for the fills. I was VERY lucky to find a guy tht would do the fills from any DR, never mind one from MX, her only charges $100 per fill, USA Fill is a lot more money and it would have been a 6 hr round trip, now it's only 30mins and he and his staff is wonderful. So there you have it, good luck. PBD

I am looking to talk with others in their 50's that either are trying to be banded or already have the band. I am a 54 year old lady in Houston Texas. I am a self pay and just trying to get cardiologist approval at this time. I would like to hear back from others in this age group. If you are in Texas even better!!! Thanks

Hi Sandy...

I'm 57 and just got the band 2/15/11. It has been a tough 7 weeks. Since the surgery I have only lost about 3 pounds...but the inches are melting off. Just do everything the doctors say and you'll be fine. Ask lots of questions, I wish I had asked more questions. Take all your Vitamins, Proteins and liquids and walk as much as possible.

Hi I had my lap band in Feb, 2010 and I have lose 32 lbs. and trying to lose 25 more, I'm 50 with conjestive heart failure and I have had a wonderful weight loss, but right now I'm stuck at 148 lbs for the last 4 months.

Did you have any problems getting clearance from your cardiologist for surgery? Thanks

Is 48 close enough? I am new to the forums too. Still in the process of getting approved. I am anxious about telling others that I have made this decision. After spending most of my adult life overweight. My family can be a bunch of nay-sayers at times, and I am concerned about overcoming their objections. I think I will wait unitl after the informational meeting on April 13th. I have a referral from my primary physician and a verbal from the insurance company, so I think I am off an running. Have you told others of your intent?

Yes 48 is close enough. I have told one good friend and one family member. Both are mostly against the surgery but I am getting it anyway just as soon as my Doc says OK!!!

I had lapband surgery in Oct 2008 and originally lost 25 lbs and then gained all back and then some. I am trying to motivate myself back into starting this journey over again since I still have the band. I had some problems with reflux and they took all the fill out about 6 months ago. I am so depressed about going through major surgery and being a failure again. I am not in anyway trying to discourage people I just failed myself.

Cheryl

Cheryl, I am new to this board and I had the lapband surgery also in Oct. 2008. I initially lost 42 lbs, but I was always hungry, never felt full, and never had any issues with things getting stuck until after my 6th fill. I began eating more and more and felt I failed at this. More than that, I felt the band itself had failed, since others I know lost so much and always felt full. I've gained back 20 of what I originally lost, haven't been for a fill since last May because I feel I'm throwing away $200 with each fill, and I'm depressed because I spent all that I had in savings in order to have the surgery. I don't know where to turn for answers, or encouragement, and the last place I want to go is back to the doctor's office.

Sandy, I had my lapband put in when I was 58. I wish I had some encouraging words and a success story of my own. I have a hard time accepting any type of failure, so I'm still struggling to try and figure this all out. Of the six people I know who had the lapband put in, two of them lost an incredible amount of weight. The rest of us lost about 45 lbs average and have been stuck (or gained it back) ever since.

Gaelic Gal

I'm 51 from Southern CA. I'm getting banded March 31. A little

scared alot excited!! I am on the pre op diet right now and have dropped

10 lbs.( probably mostly Water weight). It was pretty brutal the first few

days, but I'm getting used to the reduced (way reduced) calories. Good

Luck to you!!

Hi Sandy,

I'm 54 as well and was banded on 2/9/11 Just joined this site a week or so ago and everyone has been very friendly and supportive.

I had lapband surgery in Oct 2008 and originally lost 25 lbs and then gained all back and then some. I am trying to motivate myself back into starting this journey over again since I still have the band. I had some problems with reflux and they took all the fill out about 6 months ago. I am so depressed about going through major surgery and being a failure again. I am not in anyway trying to discourage people I just failed myself.

Cheryl

Hi Sandy , Sorry not from Texas am from Western Australia i have had my band on for 2 years and am 52 years of age have lost 32 kilos but have had nothing but trouble with it i am now looking in to getting the gastric sleeve done im just so disheartened with it just want to cry , if only i keep saying to myself will fill u in later with everthing that has gone wrong. Cheers Upset

Yes 48 is close enough. I have told one good friend and one family member. Both are mostly against the surgery but I am getting it anyway just as soon as my Doc says OK!!!

Seems like a few different issues. I'm 54, had it done two years ago. I have IBD, and lots of Dr's won't do the surgery, and now I know why. I've had two major issues, not the bands fault, per se. I get an infusion of remicade every 8 weeks, and the office made a mistake in the dosage, I went into a flare, was in the ER twice, and all the fill was removed, for 3 mths total. At that point I had lost 90lbs, gained 30lbs back, refilled, not back to where I was, and still haven't gotten back the fill amt or to where I was at weight loss. I have another 20lbs to get back where I was, I am currently down 70lbs from the day of surgery. I had this done with a friend of mine, she lives in another state, we went to Mexico. Both of us agree, if we had to do it again, we won't tell anyone other than our spouses. There is a saying the only way something remains a secret when two people know, is if one is dead...:)

No sense in giving up because you already have it, see another Dr if you're not happy with the one you're using. I'm sure you're not along with your lack of results, but find out what you can do, or have done that will improve the situation, it would be a shame to keep it unfilled,and continue to not have positive results. Look around the web, and your area for some groups you can get involved with online or in person. Good luck, but don't give up......

Seems like a few different issues. I'm 54, had it done two years ago. I have IBD, and lots of Dr's won't do the surgery, and now I know why. I've had two major issues, not the bands fault, per se. I get an infusion of remicade every 8 weeks, and the office made a mistake in the dosage, I went into a flare, was in the ER twice, and all the fill was removed, for 3 mths total. At that point I had lost 90lbs, gained 30lbs back, refilled, not back to where I was, and still haven't gotten back the fill amt or to where I was at weight loss. I have another 20lbs to get back where I was, I am currently down 70lbs from the day of surgery. I had this done with a friend of mine, she lives in another state, we went to Mexico. Both of us agree, if we had to do it again, we won't tell anyone other than our spouses. There is a saying the only way something remains a secret when two people know, is if one is dead...:)

No sense in giving up because you already have it, see another Dr if you're not happy with the one you're using. I'm sure you're not along with your lack of results, but find out what you can do, or have done that will improve the situation, it would be a shame to keep it unfilled,and continue to not have positive results. Look around the web, and your area for some groups you can get involved with online or in person. Good luck, but don't give up......