Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the forums

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking the forums for the past several months and recently have joined. Yesterday I had to visit the surgeon for the 6th time as a requirment of my insurance and now sit and wait. I have no idea how long this can take, but given the amount of time I have put into this at this point, whats a few more weeks. I began this journey back in June 2010. For the first couple months after meeting with the surgeon, I did some more research and finally decided this is what I want to do. I began all the various testing in September and now have come to the end with everything now submitted to the insurance company. I cannot see any reason it would be denied given my medical issues, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, recent rise in sugar levels, now being watched for onset of Diabetes. My BMI is 37 and my cardiologist would like me to take 60 pounds off and keep it off.

I have tried all the yo yo diets, but after 5 kids, quitting smoking, the weight just seems to be stubborn. I am sure this is a similar story to some of you. Seems to me when I decided to get healthy my body fought back and just piled on the pounds LOL. I do not forsee this surgery (if approved) taking place before early April at this point, because once approved, I have to be off some of my medication for 10 days prior to the surgery, not to mention trying to schedule all of this around my job. I am a single mom, work full time, and attend college full time, so making time in my schedule is going to be tricky, but it can be done.

Well thats all for now...hello to all of you, and thank you so much for sharing your stories. They have been very helpful in my committing to this life style change and looking forward to a brighter future.

Hello all....

I just got the phone call from my doctor.. The insurance company has approved my surgery!! It only took them 2 days..I was shocked. I am both very excited and very scared at the same time. I guess that is normal. My surgery is schedules for April 6th because I am scheduled to travel for my job in the next couple weeks and I have to be off my Plavix for 10 days prior to surgery. Sooo it looks like April 6th will be my new birthday.

:waytogo: Congrats!! That is so wonderful! You'll find the forums even more helpful now that you are really underway in your journey! Welcome!!

Congratulations and Welcome! I am pretty new to this site myself, but I have found SO many inspiring and positive experiences, along with SO much great knowledge. Good Luck, I am looking forward to hearing all about your progress.