Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any old timers still around?

I was banded Oct 9, 2007. It's been an interesting journey.

I started off at 207 lbs; today I weigh 157. The lowest weight I achieved was 149 - pretty far from my goal of 125. Well, not THAT far, but you know what I mean. I'm only 5 feet tall.

I had many fills and unfills, I got completely obstructed 3 times where I was refluxing so bad I was aspirating into my lungs every time I lay flat. An unfill is a BIG setback. In the past 3 years I have joined a gym, then quit, then rejoined, then quit. Next I'm doing the HGC diet for 3 weeks. Then it's back to the gym. I turned a bedroom into a nice exercise studio and I use it for awhile, then it becomes a junk room, then I clean it out and exercise again, then start hanging laundry on the treadmill again.... It's a process. But I never give up.

So the band hasn't resulted in complete freedom, but it's kept me from packing the pounds back on at an alarming rate, it's generally good for weight maintenance. It took a year until I had a good fill, and even then - it wasn't just an ongoing sweet spot, it varied from day to day. If it's tight enough to really curb my appetite one day, then I'm obstructed shortly thereafter. There's a very small margin of safety for me.

But the journey continues, and I'm not done yet!

I don't know if anybody reading this would remember me, because I mostly posted in the forum for Dr. Kirshenbaum. But hey, I'll update anyway. I haven't posted here in a few years! I do recognize some of the names in this thread but I mostly read.

I got within 10 pounds of my first goal weight and then got pregnant (by choice :)). My aftercare doc felt that I did not need any fill removed as long as I was able to eat and drink, and did not have a lot of vomiting. A few months prior to getting pregnant I had a problem with acid reflux, but a slight unfill along with a course of Prilosec seemed to fix that. Happily I did not get extra tight while pregnant (as I have heard some women do) and my morning sickness was more just nausea than vomiting. I gained about 25 pounds while pregnant and lost the majority of it within a few months of my daughter being born in March 2010. I credit the band, but also the fact that I was a nervous wreck due to being unable to breastfeed (another story for another place) and not eating much.

I have not gotten a fill since early 2009. At this point I am starting to think I need one. I am maintaining OK but would like to lose another 25-30 pounds, and I do have to diet a little bit. The issue is money. My insurance never covered fills (didn't cover my surgery either, I paid out of pocket), but I'm working only part-time now and can't afford them like I used to. So I am hoping that if I start exercising again and watch my diet closely I can get off the rest of the weight. We shall see!

great to see some names from the old days I recognize! I continue "35#" from my goal weight, but remain off insulin injections (after 15 years bid) and CPAP (10 years). Haven't made my goal to size 40 pants yet but 44s work so much better than the old 56/58s. Having a grand time recently retired. Was provoked by inquiry about "what I'm doing with all my time off".....of course, I've been totally on somebody else's schedulue since starting grade school in 1951....so I'm trying to sample some of what I've missed out on all those years.... And without the Band (and BANDSTERS!!!) wouldn't have made it this far. Cheers on OUR journey!!!

Wow while I read these stories and look at these people I think that I am not alone. I have struggled with the last 20lbs for about 3 years. I am not unhappy with the progress that I have made, but I do wish that I could shed this final 20lbs. When I had the band on way back in 2004, I truly thought that there would eventually be a day when I wasn't on a diet. I now wonder if that will ever be true. I am extremely active and eat quite well, but I can't seem to kick the last 20. Is there a time when you say...hey I am ok, just the way I am. I totally understand about bad days, when you can't seem to keep anything down, but I also know very well those days when everything goes down AOKAY. I suppose, its simply a matter of time, diet and exercise and this too will pass. Nice to see everyone again....

Gosh...it is so great to see and recognize some of your names on this thread. I am thinking that I remember at least 80% of you guys. Gotta say...you were some of the ones I looked up to and followed for advice and information when I first started on the LB trek. Thank you for checking in with your updates and sharing.

I'm still around. I had my surgery in April 2006. I can't believe it has almost been 5 years. Started at 225 and ended up at 150. I am STILL at 150. Happy, happy.

Hi all,

It sure has been awhile since I have been here.

Generally the band has been a huge success, I managed to get to goal and then lose a few extra kilo's too. I am now at 138lbs and very happy! (63kgs)

Been suffering a bit with reflux which has been worrying me lately. I plan on getting that checked out as soon as I have some extra time.

I am feeling fantastic!! I LOVE shopping for clothes now.

I went to visit people at my last job, some people walked by me and didn't recognise who I am.....hahaha!! That was so funny and so liberating too.

hello everyone couple of names i remember, i havn't been here for a couple of years ,it was really good to get your'e e-mail as ihave been really battling to get back on track about 18 months ago i had fill taken out cos of reflux and was just starting to fill up again and my eldest boy died and i just couldnt have cared, so i've put almost all the weight back on and im too ashamed to go to my dr so thanks again for reminder that all you lovely people are here and i'l get inspiration from you x

Hi,

Thanks for the email. I still check in every now and then, but have just been so busy with work, kids etc.

I am maintaining my 121 pound loss and next month will be my 6 yr anniversary!!

I do find myself riding a rollercoaster at times. I will gain 5 pounds and then diet my way back down.

I have been on nexium since my first fill and am still on it. I suffer from reflux if i dont take it.

I havent had a fill for about 4 years and find my band can be very finicky. I will go months with great restriction and then find for a month or so I dont have much restriction at all.

I am very happy with my band and I would not change a thing. It has been one of the best things that I have ever done.

I do admit it did take me a good 3.5 yrs to get to goal, but I feel better slowly than never :)

I dont really diet, I just watch what I eat as the soft easy yummy things go down ohhh so well.

I had plastic done about 4 years ago and would love to go back but ... $$$

Good Luck, and Ill try and pop in more often.

Kel

HeatherO - you mentioned reflux. I'm curious what you're experiencing, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Here's why I ask.

In the last year or two, I've noticed (yet again, for the third time) a complete change in my band behavior. Reflux is one of them. I used to have 2 gears with my band:

1. "Good"

2. "Gonna yak"

(and then there was about a 30 minute buffer between the two, during which I might go from "good" to "gonna yak" or vice versa)

There really wasn't anything in between. Then I slowly noticed that I developed a 3rd gear, which was:

3. "Definitely not clear, but not hurting & not gonna yak either, just feeling kinda oogie."

#3 used to not bother me, and normally when I woke up the next morning I would feel fine. Then slowly this changed, and if I was in 3rd gear I had a few options:

A. Don't eat for a day, maybe two, and eventually everything straightens itself out.

B. Try to drink something, and if I could get a few swallows down it would clear up. Especially if I could drink something cold (cold drinks with an uncleared pouch used to be guaranteed yaksville for me).

If I need to sleep before A or B can happen, it's pretty much guaranteed reflux. Multiple times, all night long, and 2 or 3 times I've woken up having aspirated it - ouch & yuck. I can't really explain the sensation of #3 very well. it's subtle, but there. It's not uncomfortable, it's just noticeable. Perhaps a tiny pressure. But it's definitely not the feeling of a cleared pouch, and if I'm not feeling 100% clear/nothing's there, I KNOW I will reflux. And I haven't been wrong yet. But I wouldn't say it happens often. A night - maybe two in a row - every few months. But it gets to where during tight periods, I'll just not eat because I don't want to be refluxing all night. Tests show everything is fine, and I'm sitting at 0.25 cc. Just another chapter in "life with the band" maybe.

I have exactly the same problem and I hate it. #3 means bad reflux for me and coughing all night and this is when I have the problem. Even if I am relatively empty, by morning I have saliva and other fluids built up and this is the source of my reflux. 1 & 2 are never reflux because either I am fine or if I yak, the problem is resolved.

The only thing I have been able to do is drink a lottt of Water at the end of the day well before bed time (and of course not eat anything late - not even one bite of something. This helps with flushing and has become a habit. For some reason, it has to be Water also. Milk can get stuck and semi-solidify, any kind of juice or flavored beverage leaves an unpleasantness if I do have reflux. Even with this, I still have a problem 10-20% of the time. My band is fine but it almost seems as though my stomach closes off at night with the slightest irritation.

The other thing I noticed is that my band is now very fickle. Slight hormonal or stress variations can have me anywhere between looseville or a quick need for an unfill. Every year I have a pattern or maybe 6 months of goog, need for unfills, need for refills, and repeat repeatedly.

It has been a few years, just seeing who might still be around from the good ol' days.

HI Im still around although I dont hand around as much as I used to. Im holding steady at 66kg and couldnt be happier. Wish I could afford plastic surgery now to really finish the job

Good Morning[/url] Bandsters !!

Wow It seems just like yesterday.. But it was 3/06 and I was 285 Pounds.

3/07 - 237 Pounds 48 pounds Down

3/08- 209 Pounds 27 pounds Down

3/09 - 199 Pounds Onderland 

3/10 - Stable at 195 to current

I got my band and from the start I was a slow looser, But I am so thankful for my weight loss and the independence  it has given me.. Have I got to my goal weight.. No, but I am down nearly 100 Pounds!

Do I eat Right all the time? No But I have an angel on my shoulder that still tells me.... TOOO  MUCH!!!

Have I had a life without complications.. No In fact My band has been empty since late 09 because I kept having so much reflux  , it was choking me in the middle of the night and burning my esophagus . But I have been stable at 195 for over 2 years and I am Thrilled because  I can

• Buckle my seat belt on a plane
  • Ride all the rides at sic flags
  • Walk 3 miles without throwing up
  • Ride my bike
  • Wear a size 14 :lol:
  • Have almost no back pain
  • feel amazing about myself
  • sit in a booth at a restaurant
  • And many many more things.

This Last year I decided I was comfortable  with my life and I love that I can live it without watching every morsel of food or drink and still be healthy  so I am getting My Tummy Tuck This summer.

I think my biggest achievement  is changing the voices in my head to love me and stop being my biggest critic. My life is not perfect but It is Mine and I love it, because of my lap band I  can enjoy it !

Thanks for the check in its good to see all us old timers!!

I have exactly the same problem and I hate it. #3 means bad reflux for me and coughing all night and this is when I have the problem. Even if I am relatively empty, by morning I have saliva and other fluids built up and this is the source of my reflux. 1 & 2 are never reflux because either I am fine or if I yak, the problem is resolved.

The only thing I have been able to do is drink a lottt of Water at the end of the day well before bed time (and of course not eat anything late - not even one bite of something. This helps with flushing and has become a habit. For some reason, it has to be Water also. Milk can get stuck and semi-solidify, any kind of juice or flavored beverage leaves an unpleasantness if I do have reflux. Even with this, I still have a problem 10-20% of the time. My band is fine but it almost seems as though my stomach closes off at night with the slightest irritation.

The other thing I noticed is that my band is now very fickle. Slight hormonal or stress variations can have me anywhere between looseville or a quick need for an unfill. Every year I have a pattern or maybe 6 months of goog, need for unfills, need for refills, and repeat repeatedly.

Oh yeah, same here. Initially my band behavior was completely random. Then went to specific foods I couldn't do. Then add in routines with times of day that I can/can't tolerate foods. Then the hormones/TOM/etc. started to impact me, barometric changes, etc.

I have 0.25cc and sometimes day to day, week to week, month to month can range from being able to eat any food in any quantity, to being so clamped down that a sip of water will leave me feeling oogie.

I'm starting to notice trends over long periods of time, so I may be tight for say 12 weeks, and then almost overnight I'll be loose for 8 weeks, then back to tight... and once baby came, forget it. I don't know what it is about pregnancy that seems to make "sweet spot" a thing of the past, but it definitely seems to be a frequent occurence.

Overall, I need a fill but I'm not getting one because I figure -- when it's bad now, it's pretty bad. That type of refluxing is so gross, painful & miserable... and so it trying to stay awake all night so it doesn't just keep happening. A fill is just going to make those bad times worse. So I'd rather try and deal with the lack of restriction during loose times, than have to sleep sitting up on the couch.

I've talked some with Allergan about things they can do to improve overall patient experience. I think they're more focused on the newbies/pre-op (that's where the money is made), but I've suggested to them that if they want to build up resources for long-term patients, they might definitely want to address what it's like 5, 10 years down the road. Things are not the same.

Thank you for the email, Alex! I haven't been here in a long time, either. Probably because I am now HIGHER than my band weight. I was banded in June, 2007 and I am currently only ten or so pounds down from my all-time high (currently at 360). I have had only three fills because I started having significant reflux with only something like 3cc in a 10cc band. I have had an upper GI and it showed good placement and barely any delayed emptying of my pouch. I clearly need more of a fill. However, I can't take the reflux. So I'm pretty well stuck (and actually get things stuck regardless of the fairly open band...). I do still eat loads *less* than I did before banding, but I am not losing. Endocrine has suggested I have extensive testing to see how my body utilizes and burns (or does not burn) calories. Unfortunately it isn't covered by insurance. I'm slowly working on getting funds together for it. My lowest was 296, I was banded at someplace in the 320's (I truly do not remember, maybe it's still in my sig line if those still exist). Even though I regained weight, I still eat healthier and less than I did before. Despite the lack of weight loss, I know I am in some ways living a healthier lifestyle than I was and that makes it worth it to me!

This is most encouraging to hear of various long-term Bandster experiences. I forgot to add in previous note, that my decade-long anxiety/panic attacks and various mysterious-but-not-clinically-observable physical symptoms along with generally gloomy mood are long departed. I haven't had the agorophobic-can't-go-for-a-drive-in-the-desert etc without sense of impending doom. Even though my food intake is almost always in the sub 1700 calorie range, I have cycles where I seem to eat more than I rationally think I need. Other times 1200-1500 is more than I actually want. I've noticed is I eat too little it generates being 'too hungry' the next few days. Old Habit is stubborn. On the other hand, I'm currently wearing a belt (in the middle hole) I had custom built in 1966!!! I had tucked it away for over 30 years as being too small.