Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any old timers still around?

Anyone out there a October 2006 Bandster?

I was banded 10/31/2006.

Had a lot of problems with the Dr's aftercare,and then no Insurance.

So I gained a lot of it back, but I moved, found a new surgeon, got Ins., so now I am back all over again.

I have that 4cc band, and I was very glad to hear that it was in new shape.

So now I will do it again.

Nice to see some of you people. That's for sure !

If your out there ! this is sstasevich writing you.

Get back if you can, Shirley.

Chest Pains/cramps/spasms?

I have had my band for about 4 years now and have never experienced this before and have now twice since Saturday and hoping there's someone on here that has. My doc is out all week so I can't talk to him.

It would see that I have been to tight for about 8 months.. was waking up around 1-2 at night, liquids coming up through my nose, mouth or ending up in my lungs no matter how much earlier I was eating and drinking before going to bed.

Finally went in Friday and had 1.6 taken out of my 4cc band. I've slept like a baby for 3 nights now, HOWEVER, Saturday I had this HORRID HORRID cramping or spasams going across my chest, both sides, working it's way up into my Jaws and the top of my head. This lasted about 10 minutes before fadeing away. The again this morning but this time it lasted about 15-20 minutes. I just can't even describe acurately how horribly it hurt.

I am wondering if maybe I was banded to tight for so long, that when the pressure was relieved it's causing spasms or cramps?

Any advise or comparisons would be nice.

thanks

Tracy

What did your doc say - sound like you may be too tight....

It has been a few years, just seeing who might still be around from the good ol' days.

This is Shirley banded 10/31/2006.

Hi how you been?

Guest Oregondaisy2

I thought I had posted on this thread.

I feel so bad as I read about the band problems! I revised to a sleeve 2 years ago. I could not take the aspirating at night, the reflux, etc.

Getting the band removed and revising to a sleeve was the best thing I've ever done. The sleeve is effortless. It works exactly like a band is supposed to. I am never hungry; food never gets stuck ; I can eat anything I want, in small quantities.

I have friends who had damage to their stomachs so badly that they could not have any revision surgery. That is why I had my band removed as soon as I could afford to . I self paid for the band, and it sits on my dresser. I self paid for the sleeve, and life is great!

If a revision surgery is affordable for you or if your insurance will pay for it, don't keep the band if you're having problems! There are many band to sleeve revision stories at verticalsleevetalk.com Come and check it out.

Hi, everyone! I was banded January 2007 (almost 5 years ago!!!) I wasn't "verbally" active on the site, but I checked in quite often to read whjat others were going through.

Today, this thread has honestly been a God-send. I have been feeling frustrated because I can't get past my current weight. I wanted advice from people who had the lapband for a great deal of time and wondered about their experiences and so I came back.

I started my joiurney weighing 406.6 and now I weigh 241.6. I am currently filled to the max in my band and I'm comfortable with my restriction level. However, I want to lose about 65 additional pounds. Yet, I am currently at a standstill at 241. (I gain up to about 245 and then lose to about 241.) If I could go and get a little more of a fill, I probably would.

When I stop and think about my progress, I am so blessed to have had the lapband surgery. I don't know what weight I would be at now, if I hadn't. Over the years, the band has always allowed me consistenly lose or maintain my current weight. For me, to move beyond maintaining my weight at the time, I had to do something different. This may have meant, lowering my calorie intake, seriously addressing and working on my emotional eating problems (such as in OA), or beginning an exercise regimen (I hate exercising!). I will admit when I have committed to all three of these at the same time, I definitely saw results. Yet, I am horrible at working on all 3 at one time!

Thank you for listening. I guess I just needed to see that for some the band is still working. And like many of you used to say in the past, "It's not a Magical Cure. It's a tool." So, to get beyond my current weight, I am going to have to do my part!

Hi everyone, I guess I am considered an old timer. I haven't been on the boards very much lately because my life has been one crazy rollercoaster. I was banded in April 2007. I lost 131 pounds and maintained it. In April 2009 I had plastic surgery, removing the excess skin. I had a lower body lift and breast lift with augmentation...I was LOVING life.

I went through a separation from my husband and ultimately got divorced in May 2010. The divorce didn't get ugly and in fact, things are pretty good between the two of us. In the meantime I had met a man who I thought was great. Unfortunately he was EXTREMELY jealous and I couldn't take it anymore. I ended the relationship and he would not leave me alone. I ended up in court and got a restraining order in February 2011.

On December 7, 2010 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I underwent surgery and 6 1/2 weeks of radiation therapy. I did not have to undergo chemo because it did not spread. Things have been very crazy for me lately but I'm still pushing through.

The bad thing is that I have gained weight during all of these stressful medical issues. I have gained back about 30 pounds and I'm hating it. I need to get back on track and get my eating under control. I know what I need to do but I'm not doing it. I hate that I am an emotional eater and I have to nip it in the bud before it gets completely out of control.

Well, thanks for listening and please pray for me that my cancer does not return.

I hope you are all doing very well. Take care!

Hi "old timers" lol

I hit my record weight and stayed for awhile, I admit I'm maybe 10 over where I'd like to be but I know why....I sometimes feel like the band saved me but I also feel like I mostly did it myself....I know when I had finally lost enough to start seeing progress it was a lot easier for me to get off my large rear end and move....I mean I moved...I was drop dead tired for over 6 months lol but it worked.....I know I'd probably be close to 300 by now without but other than thinking I went to this extreme to loose weight for the most part I really believe I did it. Don't misunderstand me please I'm so grateful for the band...nothing had worked before it to get me past 20 lbs lost. I still have some really bad eating habits I fight and don't always win (thus the 10 I could let go of) I try not to beat myself up to bad...I do believe theres a diff in treating and cheating....life doesn't have to be a continuous diet, simply a lot more good choices than bad, throw in a nice dash of additional movement and hopefully...

I haven't been on the board lately because I am what is called a lapband failure (no fault of my own, I'm just one of the lucky statistics that failed). I was as banded Aug 2008. I had good success for the first two years but then started having mysterious fevers, night sweats, and pain in my abdomen. After battling this off and on for several months, I ended up in the ER with a 102+ fever and I thought I was dying. My band had eroded and was leaking causing severe peritonitis. The band was removed and I spent ten days in the hospital on seven different antibiotics 24/7. I am in the process of trying to get a sleeve but with the adhesions from the peritonitis, my surgeon is making wait a full year (April 4, 2012 will be a year) until we consider it. I had forgotten how hungry I was before the band.

Hi "old timers" lol

I hit my record weight and stayed for awhile, I admit I'm maybe 10 over where I'd like to be but I know why....I sometimes feel like the band saved me but I also feel like I mostly did it myself....I know when I had finally lost enough to start seeing progress it was a lot easier for me to get off my large rear end and move....I mean I moved...I was drop dead tired for over 6 months lol but it worked.....I know I'd probably be close to 300 by now without but other than thinking I went to this extreme to loose weight for the most part I really believe I did it. Don't misunderstand me please I'm so grateful for the band...nothing had worked before it to get me past 20 lbs lost. I still have some really bad eating habits I fight and don't always win (thus the 10 I could let go of) I try not to beat myself up to bad...I do believe theres a diff in treating and cheating....life doesn't have to be a continuous diet, simply a lot more good choices than bad, throw in a nice dash of additional movement and hopefully...

Well Old Timer,,, You look Great !

I lost the weight that you see on the Ticker in this year only, so I have 25# to go, and I see onederland. That's my next Goal. After that,,, I'll take it as it comes.

I'm not backing off or nothing NO WAY ! But I will not worry about it, and just keep letting it come off as it comes.

Alot of if's here. If it would have went right the first time, Well I would have been at Goal a while ago. But,,, that was not to be with bad aftercare.

So a new surgeon filled me this year under Fluoro., and were off and rolling again. I'm interested in seeing next summer.. Hope to look pretty good by

then... Will wait and see.

Take Care, Keep In touch, Shirley.

I haven't been on the board lately because I am what is called a lapband failure (no fault of my own, I'm just one of the lucky statistics that failed). I was as banded Aug 2008. I had good success for the first two years but then started having mysterious fevers, night sweats, and pain in my abdomen. After battling this off and on for several months, I ended up in the ER with a 102+ fever and I thought I was dying. My band had eroded and was leaking causing severe peritonitis. The band was removed and I spent ten days in the hospital on seven different antibiotics 24/7. I am in the process of trying to get a sleeve but with the adhesions from the peritonitis, my surgeon is making wait a full year (April 4, 2012 will be a year) until we consider it. I had forgotten how hungry I was before the band.

Sorry to hear it did not work out ! That had to be ruff. When they took out my Gallbladder, I had Peritonits in it, and it got bad, they even took the Appendix because of the infection.

Good Luck for the future, I hope it works.

Keep in touch, Shirley.

Shirley that really sucks!!! I'm so sorry your one of the bad stats. It sounds like your staying pretty positive though and that's huge in itself, especially after what you've gone through. I've had lots of people ask me when am I having it took out...NEVER if it behaves, mostly cause I hate being put to sleep and secondly because I don't believe in myself. Aprils not to far away, keep me posted xoxoxo

Well the first surgeon was a Excellent Surgeon, but was **** for Aftercare...

My new Surgeon is a Student of his, and he got stuff rolling again, that's

all I care about, and ! nothing is wrong.

So I'm good to go !;)

I am glad to see so many of us still have our band... I am 8 years out and it seems that more often than not people are loosing their bands... I guess I was one of the lucky ones so far. I have been banded and had twins and haven't even thought about a full in years... I hover somewhere around 180 and fluctuate with my exercise. When its warm I am active but like a bear I hibernate when it's cold... I love the way the lap band has made me normal... I wish it could be that way for more of us...

I am glad to see so many of us still have our band... I am 8 years out and it seems that more often than not people are loosing their bands... I guess I was one of the lucky ones so far. I have been banded and had twins and haven't even thought about a full in years... I hover somewhere around 180 and fluctuate with my exercise. When its warm I am active but like a bear I hibernate when it's cold... I love the way the lap band has made me normal... I wish it could be that way for more of us...

Im coming up on 4 years banded and still very happy. Ive gained a bit back from my lowest point but still down 90 from where I started. I recently went back to the gym to get some more of it back. I just had a knee replacement which is slowing me down a bit but I hope to be back to the gym in a couple weeks to restart the downward progress.

I am a happy camper!