Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Carb (and therefore Low calorie) alternatives for faves

Two I've tried that are so good I'll never miss the real thing:

Cauliflower rice - process the edible parts of a cauliflower in the food processor till it's just crumbs (like grains of rice). Pop into a sieve, a fine metal one, prop over a saucepan of boiling Water and steam till it's tender. It tends to fall though an ordinary saucepan steamer. Use it in place of rice - with your dahl or curry/casserole or as a side dish or whatever. It tastes pretty mild and doesnt disrupt the taste of the meal, just provides the texture of rice.

Zucchini Pasta - take a zucchini (courgette, whatever you guys call them), cut into long matchsticks (the lenght of the zucchini), its pretty easy to eat one per person. Stir fry in a very small amount of olive oil, a splash of lemon juice and some salt and pepper. I've only eaten it with bolognaise sauce and a bit of parmesan - its truly delish, but it would probably go with almost any Pasta Sauce.< /p>

Now if someone could post an alternative to a big hunk of fresh white bread toasted so its browned outside, still soft in the middle, with loads of butter and beautiful jam I'd be most grateful. It's my first craving and its coming into my head more and more often.

For the Pasta replacement, you can also just use a spagetti squash. You can split in half and put it in boling Water or bake it upside down with about an inch of water in the pan until tender. Then just seperate the strands with a fork and use it just like you would pasta...my crew loves it!

Cauliflower is also a wonderful mashed potato replacement. You cut it up and then put it in your magic bullet or blender and whip until smooth.

Then if you want to take it out and add a little butter or cheese you can. It's magically delicious!!!

P.S. I forgot to add that if that doesn't suit your fancy, you can make half of your normal portion of mashed potatoes, then add the cauliflower in to take the place of the rest. It is still healthier than eating all mashed potato.

As far as the bread goes, years ago when I was a die-hard Atkinite:alien , I found lots of low carb bread choices in Walmart. I'm not sure if you have Walmart, or something similar...?

There's also a lot of low sugar jams/jellies out there.

How about a low-carb mocha latte?

Whip up some heavy cream with splenda (or your fave sweetener) and a little vanilla... put it aside.

Make a strong pot of coffee, and fill most of a mug with it... add one half packet of sugar-free cocoa mix... stir it up and add the whipped cream.

Yummy, satisfying, and oh so easy!

If you are also worried about fat, you can partially freeze some skim milk, and add sweetener and vanilla to whip it up in your magic bullet!

Big Paul congratulations on being below 300 YEAHHHHHH!!!! Big Paul you are going to have to join us at a Maryland Lap Band Support Group Meeting one of these days.

We don't discriminate....you are one of us. You forget this is the metropolitian area MD/DC/VA. We all can learn from everyone.

You are doing an awesome job on your wl.:clap2: