Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas Pains.....how long???

I am not sure what is up with that? I do remember the walking helping a ton. For me, the gas pains lasted about two weeks but it got less everyday and by the end of the second week I would only feel it when I laid down. I do have to mention though that I was walking a TON the first week. Like 20 to 30 minutes everyday from the second day through the end of teh second week. It really does help move the gas out, as does belching. Leaning forward from a sitting position seems to help me burp.

Others might have more suggestions or different experience. Hopefully that part will be over soon. :)

I would say for me after 3 or 4 days the gas pains were completely gone. That was the worse part of the whole thing but mine were tolerable.

If it is your left shoulder that is not uncommon. If it is that severe and getting worse, call your surgeon.

Try gas-x strips, they can help dissipate the gas. Walk and heating pads help, too.

Hope you feel better soon.

I also had my surgery on Feb 14th and still have pretty bad gas pains. Its scarey when your unsure what is going on with your body, if its a gas pain or something more serious.

I was banded on 2/15. I think the worst pain I had upon waking from surgery was the gas pains mostly in the left shoulder. Like other people have mentioned, walking helps. A friend also taught me a yoga pose referred to as the 'wind eliminator.' LOL It sounds kind of funny, but helped as well. I will try to describe it as best as possible.

Lay down flat on the floor. Gently bend and bring the right leg toward your abdomen. When the leg gets close enough for you to reach grab it with both hands. (You can actually put your hands around the sides of the leg so that you are helping to hold it up.) Now gently pull the leg toward you and as you do that EXHALE. Then slowly and gently push the leg away from you (keeping it bent at the knee) and INHALE. Continue the movements as long as you like. I did it for two or three minutes on the right leg and then two or three minutes on the left leg. Remember the motions are gently and slow, but just enough to be help push that air down your body.

I have never been into yoga, but I have to say this helped me. I did it periodically throughout the day and found it helpful. I hope it helps! I know how painful the gas can be!

i was banded 1/20 and had terrible gas pains for about 2 weeks. that was the worst part for me too. i also had that left shoulder pain, which i dare say was worse than the pain in my belly. it was like a constant aching pain. i still occasionally feel that pain in my left shoulder. it comes and goes, nothing intense.. ive come to accept it. lol but walking, heating pads, stretches, all of this helps. i say try those gas x strips but they did nothing for me. although i was surprised at the taste of them! i dont know about anyone else, but i had TERRIBLE breath for the first 2 weeks after surgery! i actually looked it up and it was from not eating carbs. who knew? anyway, brushing my teeth didnt really help that either, but those gas x strips actually did for a bit. pleasantly minty! haha good luck, know it does get better in time :)

My kids keep telling me I have bad breath and I am constantly brushing my teeth! I figured it was from lack of food/chewing! That is interesting about it coming from no carbs. Maybe I'll get the gas x strips for my breath!!

i hear ya te gas pains suck!!! i have been moving but i feel like i i have to hold my guts in and my neck at the same time! eek! i use a hot pad on my neck and should cause the pain does double me over as well and lasts for a good 10 minutes sometimes. and the whole getting used to feeling like something is stuck in ur chest is unique as well. but its all for good! :)

My kids keep telling me I have bad breath and I am constantly brushing my teeth! I figured it was from lack of food/chewing! That is interesting about it coming from no carbs. Maybe I'll get the gas x strips for my breath!!

haha yeah my breath isnt as bad as it was those first two weeks because im eating more carbs than i was then, but i definitely still try to stay as low carb as possible, so my breath is not so great. i researched it quite a bit..

"Bad breath in the low/no-carb sect is often caused by certain chemicals that are released in the breath as the body burns fat. They are called ketones, and entering into a fat-burning state of ketosis is the hallmark of the Atkins diet. So the good news is that if your breath stinks, you're probably doing a good job of sticking to that low-carb diet."

i read that in an article a while back. definitely interesting! but yeah, since we're really not supposed to chew gum, any dissolvable, sugar free breath mints are definitely my friend lately! :)

I

These pains have me doubled over. And one is on the top of my shoulder/side of neck if that makes sense. : (

I am so glad that I read your post.. I also had pain in my shoulder that would come and go , I thought maybe they had my arm over my head during surgery and yes its painful I have been putting ice on my shoulder and pain meds it has been getting better but I had planed on talking to my Doctor .. I still do on it.

Good Luck