Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Shake Weights"

I was given two of these as, seen on TV gadgets, for Christmas. i took one back to Walgreens and the other still sits in the box. Has anyone tried them yet? Weight loss gadgets flood the markets constantly and the only ones that seem to stay are a good pair of sneakers and a couple of heavy books or cans to use as weights.

I always wait to see what ends up in the gym, lol. So far, its only those ab rollers that I've ever seen - oh and gym balls.

I havent really looked into these, but I've picked one up at the store. It moves around inside right? The premise will be the moving weight challenges stabiliser muscles - there's some truth to this and I'm a real believer in functional fitness. But a little girlie weight isnt going to have much effect. If you're interested in this type of training though, google sandbag training. Lifting a heavy bag of sand whilst you squat and lunge and such, it moves around, its hard to grip, that really challenges your core and stabilisers. But I personally wouldnt waste my money on little light dumbells. For lighter weights, fill some milk or juice bottles not completely full with Water - use ones with a handle. Those will work a bit like kettlebells, but the Water will slosh, the weight will shift and it will achieve the same thing. And of course, if that's not the element that interests you, save your cash and just buy some ordinary dumbells.

I have one and use it daily. I'm really not sure if it works yet though, I just started using it. I use it for about 1-3 minutes each in about 4 or 5 different positions. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a little akward to use, but I can definately feel it working :)

it's a complete gimick

you may "feel" something, but there are exercises that are completely more beneficial than the shake weight. you can take a few medium-large size can of Beans and use them as weights vs. the shake weight or even free weights. in essence you're performing an isometric contraction. anyone can do that and become totally exhausted doing it, but isometrics are not as beneficial as a dynamic exercise with complete range of motion

you're better off investing in some free weights

it's a complete gimick

you may "feel" something, but there are exercises that are completely more beneficial than the shake weight. you can take a few medium-large size can of Beans and use them as weights vs. the shake weight or even free weights. in essence you're performing an isometric contraction. anyone can do that and become totally exhausted doing it, but isometrics are not as beneficial as a dynamic exercise with complete range of motion

you're better off investing in some free weights