Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your out of pocket for your banding?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What was your out of pocket for your banding?

• Medicare paid for the lot
    • $0 - $1,000
    • $1,001 - $3,000
    • $3,001 +

Guest Cowgirl

I paid a 250.00 co-pay and the rest covered 100%

i paid $2900 rest was covered by my health insurance:)

i still had to pay a lot compared to you both:confused:

I voted for **Medicare paid for the lot*** But Then thought again because they paid 80% not "the lot" I still had to pay a little over $1,000. But that was from THE VERY BEGINING. DR appt to get referal and on......

I voted for **Medicare paid for the lot*** But Then thought again because they paid 80% not "the lot" I still had to pay a little over $1,000. But that was from THE VERY BEGINING. DR appt to get referal and on......

Here in Australia we have a tax payer/govenment funded health care system called Medicare.

A lot of Aussies take out "private" health cover, so they can be treated in private hospitals vs public, and have the dr or surgeon of their choice.

If Aussies choose not to take out private cover, they can opt to use Medicare for their banding. It can mean up to a 10 year wait, but Medicare will pay for the whole shabang.

My question was really aimed at all the Aussies, because I just wanted to see what the average here was.

Guest kerry8888

interesting to see the variations in the cost of the procedure for different people.

i have super dooper private insurance and paid a gap of 1200 to the doc, 600 to the anaesthetist, 100 to the assistant surgeon (a friend who charged me 25% less than his usual fee) and am expecting an $800 bill for the gap payment on the band as my doc chose to use the more expensive one that is not fully covered - why i dont know.

while i am happy to have had the surgery and would have paid more if necessary, it does seem a little unfair that despite the large amount of medicare and private payments made, the surgery can still be way out of reach for many people.

im wondering if the people who made small co-payments had to wait for a very long period before receiving the surgery? can this surgery be considered "emergency" and bumped up the list? mind you - im happy for anyone who was able to be banded this way....just curious as to how the system works in this regard.....

cheers

k

I paid a once only $3,000 to my surgeon which covers his gap, and fills and aftercare (as well as any necessary revision surgery) forever. Medicare and health insurance covered the rest.

Guest kerry8888

did you also have to pay anaesthetist's gap? a gap for the band? assistant surgeon? $3000 all up seems ok - but if you had to pay the others as well it is a pretty expensive process.....

i guess when i see a reasonable weight loss i wont give a tinkers cuss about what it cost......

the $2900 i payed was everything out of pocket:) including dietitan and fills

that included $550 for the anaesethic

i didnt have an assistant

my surgeons fee was $2500 and i got $600 back from medicare

hope this helps u a bit:)

I had it done on Friday 6,2006. My parents gave it to me and my sister for Christmas(what a shock!!)The cost with Dr. Spiegel is $15,000.00

Close to $18,000 for everything (outpatient - didn't require hospital stay). Includes care for first 13 months then fills $150 each after that.

I have private health and was going for a Melbourne surgeon who would cost me $3500 out of pocket. I was guided to my wonderful surgeon in Darwin, whom is closer to me anyway, and paid a total of $900. Totally happy! A fill costs me $80 and I think I get 36 back on medicare, a check up costs me 50 and I get 17 back I think.