Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you join a gym after banding?

I want to make sure I don't turn to flab!!:lol: I have been researching some gyms nearby and like some of them. Does anyone go to curves? I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish but I hope to keep active somehow! I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. Is there something specific I should check on any?

I belonged to gym preband. I've never heard great things about Curves. Most people say they get board after a while because it is regimented. Another complaint was that hours were not convenient for someone who worked (open 9-6). Personally I swim so that limits me to a certain number of clubs. If you have health insurance see if they offer special discounts for certain gyms. Some will give a cash refund if you prove that you go X number days a week. My gym gives out a print out of everytime you logged in. I would decide which are the frontrunners and then ask for a free pass and then go when you would normally use it to see how busy the place is.

I did Curves 6 yr ago. Was fine for about 4-5 mo then it got boring and super crowded. It was a small space and way too many women would be there at peak times. That Curves closed up last yr. It was also next door to Subway and always smelled bad, like onions and peppers. Near me I have a place called Tone Up For Women. It's got a circuit setup on one side and rows of ellipticals, cycles and treadmills on other side. It's $40/mo and includes all the classes and 2 sessions with a trainer. I am considering it as they have no signup fee and no contract. It's also 1.5 mi from home and open 24/7. I hare spending the money tho.

I want to make sure I don't turn to flab!!:lol: I have been researching some gyms nearby and like some of them. Does anyone go to curves? I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish but I hope to keep active somehow! I'm in Jacksonville, Florida. Is there something specific I should check on any?

I had a gym membership for eons. But i'm making a more conscious effort to get in there at least 3 times a week and 1 day i take my Bollywood Funk dance class.

I had joined curves years ago and did enjoy it, but as others stated, about 5-6 months into it, I felt I reached all I would there. Hours were inconvenient (closed at lunch time!), and it did get boring.

I had a free pass to 24 hrs for a few months, and now I've joined a gym very close to my house. A little more pricey than I'd like it to be, but it has a lot of great class schedules (zumba, step, Water aerobics and lots more), open 24/7, has a great daycare, and lots of other good things.

For me, it's the best for me to get out of the house and go to a gym. I don't do too well working out from home (I do maybe 1x a wk). It's nice to see other ppl there, who look forward to seeing you and ask about you when you're not there. Makes me a little more accountable.

Also, I notice a big difference in weight loss when I go vs when I don't go to the gym.

I too would get a free pass to some of the gyms around you and see which you like best.

I don't know if there are any near you but there is a national chain of fitness centers called planet fitness. I go there, its 10 bucks a month and open 24/5 and 7a-7p on sat and sun.

I would stay away from curves....it doesn't realy give you the workout options for the results you want. I had a gym pre-band and used it regularly. I never lost weight because it was my calories that were stopping me...anyways I love the gym...i have turned into a gym rat! Haha!

Find One that offers classes do you do not get bored...and classes are a great way to work specific areas and be something fun! I live in indy and the gyms around here run from $20-$50 a month....try your local ymca...and if you are financially stifling the Y had scholarship programs (used their scholardhip program a few years back)

I can't sress working ot and itd benefits enough! :).have fun!!!!

I've been going to Lucille Roberts for years. Decent gym, it is only for women. Usually not to crowded, but I think their locations are only in a few states

I have heard alot of negatives about curves as well. Heard it ok for someone just starting out but that within a few months it would be no good because you can only do so much there and your bosy gets to use to it. I was banded june 2009 and didnt start going to a gym until December 2010. I was lucky and do not have all the flabby skin but probably had something to do with being young and losing slowly not really sure. Good Luck finding a gym its hard to find good ones with good hours and people.

We belong to a cross training class (which includes body composition assessments every 6 weeks, nutritional counseling/guidance, and access to prehab/physical and sport injury therapy whenever we need) , a spinning class and planet fitness. I'm a big supporter of joining a gym and/or class. The other people in the class are helpful for motivation and if I don't come to class/the gym, people start wondering where I am (its easier to go when people are expecting you to be there). I love belonging to a few different ones because I'm never bored and actually look forward to working out.

The reason we joined planet fitness is because its open 24/7, I can bring a guest anytime (that's the 20/month membership) so my fiance doesn't need a membership, and when I travel or go home to visit my family I can use that PF for free. There are other places in the area that probably offer more things (classes, swimming, etc) but the 24/7 hours and ability to use any PF anywhere sold me. And since there are SO many machines, even at peak hours, you never have to wait for an elliptical or arc trainer, which is wonderful.

Hello!!!!! I am also in Jax :)

I don't know if you have already found a gym, and I also don't know where in Jax you are. But if you are anywhere near or willing to travel to the Mandarin area (specifically near San Jose and St. Augustine) you should check out the JCA (Jewish Community Alliance). I don't know what your religious preference is, but I happen to bear Catholic and I promise that they do not care what your religion is. I freakin loved that place. The *only* reason I am not still there is because I can't get there anymore. They have a gym, pool, classes, child care... EVERYTHING! But, on top of that what made it amazing to me was 1) if you know to ask they can work with you on cost. They have a scholarship type program so that anybody can join. 2) They were the nicest people ever. Not only the workers but the people who went there and 3) It was not intimidating at all. There were people of all ages and sizes working out and nobody was rude.

I love this place and while I was a member I actually lost a significant amount of weight. I toot their horn whenever possible so if you haven't found a gym, I would most definitely check them out!!!

Personally I recommend swimming. It is great for the joints and once you are in the Water no one can see you. I use a water proof MP3 player which makes time go by so much faster. If I can walk out of the locker room past 50 parents watching the high school swim team practice in my fat lady skirted swim suit at 364 pounds ANYONE can take up swimming.