Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rheumatoid Arthritis & Lap Band Surgery

Is it safe for Rheumatoid Arthritis patients to have lap band surgery? I am 58 years old and have been diagnosed with RA since the age of 34. I need to lose 50-60 pounds and been unable to do so, as the exercise required to do so is impossible for me. If I eliminate taking Ibuprofen, would the lap band procedure be safe?

Is it safe for Rheumatoid Arthritis patients to have lap band surgery? I am 58 years old and have been diagnosed with RA since the age of 34. I need to lose 50-60 pounds and been unable to do so, as the exercise required to do so is impossible for me. If I eliminate taking Ibuprofen, would the lap band procedure be safe?

I would suggest you ask your doc to be sure, but I can tell you that I have arthritis, spinal stenosis (arthritis of the spine) and screws in my lower back from surgery in 2004. My orthopedic surgeon told me that the spinal stenosis was not going to get better and that it is so pervasive that surgery is not an option. He told me that I should exercise in order to the strengthen the muscles in my back which would help. To be honest, because the pain had been soooo bad at times I was afraid to exercise. AND, I am allergic to ibuprofen! I believe that if I could take ibuprofen I would be in MUCH better shape ... but I digress. I had lapband surgery on June 15, 2009. Initially I was a slow loser -- not losing at break-neck speed now, but the momentum is picking up. I now walk 2 miles before work M-F. I even did 2 miles this past Saturday. I started this journey a size 26. I am now size 14/16. I did not start out doing 2 miles, I worked my way up. It has helped tremendously! Do I have aches and pains? Yes, even as I sit here typing my right shoulder hurts, but ... I don't care ... I will be up at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning to get to the park and walk 2 miles -- without fail. BTW, I am 55 years old.

So, my experience with arthritis and lapband has been very positive. Talk to your doctor and unless he gives you a very good reason not to, I would go for it. I feel better than ever!

Good luck to you!

~Fran

I also have RA and Spinal Stenios talking Clebrex and having infusion with Remicade. Having surgery this Fri. and Surgeron told me the preference is to stop NSAIDS but it is stil doable, just have to watch you closer. But to qualifly for the Lap Band you need to be typically over a 100lbs.............Wish you luck :)

I have arthritis in both knees and my spine. That along with 347 lbs made life miserable I was taking Ibuprofen 800 mgs 2X a day plus tramadol and still had pain. I was banded Jan 5th, 2011. I stopped taking my Ibuprofen 8 days before the surgery but continued to take Tramadol I am doing fine. If I don't have to I will discontinie taking my Ibuprofen..... My weight is down to 328 and I feel better already. I was able to wash my dishes without sitting down and taking a break. So I don't if the Ibuprohen was helping or hurting..... I FEEL I MADE THE BEST DECISION HAVING LAPBAND...... Knees are stiff but I just keep walking No Pain No gain............ I want to be pill free by this time next year..... Talk to your doctor......

I would suggest you ask your doc to be sure, but I can tell you that I have arthritis, spinal stenosis (arthritis of the spine) and screws in my lower back from surgery in 2004. My orthopedic surgeon told me that the spinal stenosis was not going to get better and that it is so pervasive that surgery is not an option. He told me that I should exercise in order to the strengthen the muscles in my back which would help. To be honest, because the pain had been soooo bad at times I was afraid to exercise. AND, I am allergic to ibuprofen! I believe that if I could take ibuprofen I would be in MUCH better shape ... but I digress. I had lapband surgery on June 15, 2009. Initially I was a slow loser -- not losing at break-neck speed now, but the momentum is picking up. I now walk 2 miles before work M-F. I even did 2 miles this past Saturday. I started this journey a size 26. I am now size 14/16. I did not start out doing 2 miles, I worked my way up. It has helped tremendously! Do I have aches and pains? Yes, even as I sit here typing my right shoulder hurts, but ... I don't care ... I will be up at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning to get to the park and walk 2 miles -- without fail. BTW, I am 55 years old.

So, my experience with arthritis and lapband has been very positive. Talk to your doctor and unless he gives you a very good reason not to, I would go for it. I feel better than ever!

Good luck to you!

~Fran

I too have rheumatoid arthritis and was concerned that would mean I couldn't have the lap band. Since RA is an autoimmune disorder and not like regular arthritis, it's important to talk with your doctor since some autoimmune issues can disqualify you for the surgery. My doctor said that it shouldn't be a problem for me though. I am worried though about after the surgery because the autoimmune issues make me heal slower and leave me with so much extra pain from any minor trauma to the body. Doctors like to tell you to expect "soreness" but that can be anything from feeling like you worked out really hard to laying on the couch crying in pain. I just wish I had a better idea of the pain I can expect.

I have Osteoarthritis in the knees, and had them both replaced. It's wonderful ! I talked to my surgeon, and he said what do you think your the only one ! I said no of course not, but it makes things harder for me to do. Surgeon says get on a treadmill and bust your *** !

I told him I can't do that, Knee surgeon said walk, that's all I want you to do is walk everyday. He was not happy, but discussed it with a Orthopedic Surgeon, and he settled for it. Wonder what the guy told him.???

Anyway walking is fine, and yes it helps loose weight. I walk around the block, or go down a couple streets, then come back. I don't want to ware these knees out.

Also you can contact a physical therapy place near you, and ask them how much they charge monthly to use there gym?

A lot of them are doing that now, you might have to check around.

I am 29 and have RA for 10 years now. I go for my seminar next Monday, without the okay from the rhuematologist. He does NOT agree with me on this. But I am hoping I can find a dr to perform the lapband on me. I take predisone everyday along with motrin.

Click on my name, and Waite, and my profile will come up. Click on Topics, and read my journal.

You can take some tips from that if you want. It worked for me, It might work for you, and be patient.

Let me know if you read it.

I too have RA and OA, recently had a partial hip replacement due to necrosis cause by long term steroid use for the autoimmune disorders. both my rheumatolgist and orthopedics doctors HIGHLY recommend the lap banding and are will to write letters to that effect if needed by the bariatric surgeon. I do understand that some bariatric surgeons do not want to do the lap banding with certain autoimmune disorders, have even had one deny me, but he never gave a rationale for not doing it. So i do not know what the problem is unless it is the slowed healing process related to medications, etc. but good luck with yours. I am still waiting on the 3 months supervised documentation by my primary care doc of my diet as required by medicare and then to see this surgeon. hoping it works out,

I've got RA, Lupus and Fibromyalgia. My surgeon has said that it shouldn't be a problem, but that he'd want me to stop taking the NSAIDS. I'm okay with that, because of all the pills I take, I think those work the least. He also said that because of the autoimmune disorders, there is the potential for my body to react to the band itself, in which case they would have to remove it. Being that I have had 2 cesarean sections and never had a reaction to those surgeries, I'm not concerned. Losing the extra weight will immensely help my health conditions, so I was very happy to hear him say that it wasn't going to prevent me from surgery.

Hi! I have RA and was banded on 5-27-11. So far I've had no problems. Both the surgeon and my PCP feel the weight loss will only help with the RA symptoms and the progression of the disease itself. Best wishes to you!

I too have RA and OA, recently had a partial hip replacement due to necrosis cause by long term steroid use for the autoimmune disorders. both my rheumatolgist and orthopedics doctors HIGHLY recommend the lap banding and are will to write letters to that effect if needed by the bariatric surgeon. I do understand that some bariatric surgeons do not want to do the lap banding with certain autoimmune disorders, have even had one deny me, but he never gave a rationale for not doing it. So i do not know what the problem is unless it is the slowed healing process related to medications, etc. but good luck with yours. I am still waiting on the 3 months supervised documentation by my primary care doc of my diet as required by medicare and then to see this surgeon. hoping it works out,

Are you still using steroids? I don't know if I can move without them. I also have necrosis of the hip, but they are estimating about 3 years before hip replacement :(

Are you still using steroids? I don't know if I can move without them. I also have necrosis of the hip, but they are estimating about 3 years before hip replacement :(

I am still on Steroids, presently 10 mg of predinsone/day, and my hip problem was a rather abrupt onset and when they did the CT scan it already had a fracture, so my surgery was scheduled right away,,,, if yours was as painful as mine was, i do not see how you can wait so long for surgery! worst pain i ever had, but sugery was a breeze,,,,, recovery no problem, still some mild pain but controlled buy ibuprofen usually, my ortho doc said, " you make this look rediculously easy" lol so good luck,,,, and as far as staying on the steroids, my rheumatologist has not said anything to the contrary,! and btw,,,,, they both highly recommend the lap banding!

I am still on Steroids, presently 10 mg of predinsone/day, and my hip problem was a rather abrupt onset and when they did the CT scan it already had a fracture, so my surgery was scheduled right away,,,, if yours was as painful as mine was, i do not see how you can wait so long for surgery! worst pain i ever had, but sugery was a breeze,,,,, recovery no problem, still some mild pain but controlled buy ibuprofen usually, my ortho doc said, " you make this look rediculously easy" lol so good luck,,,, and as far as staying on the steroids, my rheumatologist has not said anything to the contrary,! and btw,,,,, they both highly recommend the lap banding!

The nercosis just started about a year ago, it hurts badly but nothing that I am not used too. I have twin 5 year olds, and I am wanting them to be older before I get a hip replacement. They say I will be in the hospital for a week and rehab for up too 3 weeks. But it somthing that has to be done, it can't correct itself. Thank you for the info, being on predisone puts you at a different playing field.