Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having trouble - need help

I was banded April 7 and have lost 74 pounds since I started my preop diet. I am off my Nexium, off my diabetes meds, off half my cholesterol meds and down from a size 22 to a size 14. My A1C went form 6.8 to 5.9.

Suddenly I am having trouble with getting stuck a lot, vomiting up meats and foods I should eat. I am suddenly eating a lot of slider foods and not losing. I get stuck on the first bite or two. I do not eat slowly enough or small enough bites sometimes, but I have pretty violent vomiting 2-3 times per week. It is violent enough that I get petechia around my eyes. I have not gained, but I am not making progress either.

I spoke with the surgeon's office and they said to have only liquids until next Thursday when they can see me. I have done two days of liquids. I have pains in my lower stomach and intestinal area and a LOT of gas. Maybe the liquids? I wonder if I am over restricted and need an unfill.

Any insight?

You can't get in any earlier than Thursday? You really need to listen to the doctor, and only drink liquids. Something isn't right, and it could very well be you need an unfill. Be really careful. I'd try calling the doctor again and seeing if you can get in sooner.

You can't get in any earlier than Thursday? You really need to listen to the doctor, and only drink liquids. Something isn't right, and it could very well be you need an unfill. Be really careful. I'd try calling the doctor again and seeing if you can get in sooner.

I am having only liquids. I had my Protein drinks as instructed, and some thin Soup and lots of Water. I did talk to them directly and she said Thursday would be fine if I did only liquids as long as I could get Water down with no problem, and I can. She told me cottage cheese and really soft foods are ok too but I am not risking it.

My pain is gone today and no vomiting as I am on liquids only. I have actually lost a pound for the first time in weeks. I know that is not the goal right now but a nice side effect!

I will do exactly as I am told - do not want to have a major problem.

Thanks for responding. When you have a problem like this, it does not really help to talk to friends and family as they have no ideas and sometimes sort of panic. My husband tends to think I am a bit of a hypochondriac and that I over react to everything. Needed someone who is in the same shoes to support me. Thanks

If you were violently sick that might have caused swelling and caused more foods to get stuck resulting in more vomiting....a vicious circle. Hopefully being on liquids will calm everything down until you can see your doctor.

I've also heard women tend to have more restriction during their monthly cycle. Not sure if that is an issue here, but you may want to check your calendar and see if that could be a factor. Could also be as you've lost weight things have adjusted internally, and now your band is getting easier restriction than before. Anything that causes any sort of swelling or bloating inside could affect how your band works.

Good luck!

Dave

My doctor admits that the band or more accurately, body with a band is a fickle little thing and can be a touch high maintenance. But he as reminded me on occasions when I went into panic that as long as I could get fluids down and did not have any acid reflux problems I'd be ok, and I was. He reminded me that I was restricting an organ that wasn't really made to be restricted, it's going to react a little from time to time.

He told me that many things cause internal inflamation inside the body and it is often difficult to tell what the root cause is. Did vomiting cause a vicious cycle, did I have a touch of a virus causing tissue inflamation, was I retaining fluids due to my period? Who knows.

I've been in one month for a tighten then back 8 weeks later for a slight unfill and back again 3 months later for a fill. We've been playing with the same .4 cc for about 6 months now. In, out and back in again. I've just come to realize that it's part of the maintenance of a lap band. I don't freak out anymore. As long as there's no acid or pain I can handle all the flip-flopping now. I'm just used to it.

According to your ticker you are doing amazingly well. Congratulations! Hope you get it all sorted out.

My doctor admits that the band or more accurately, body with a band is a fickle little thing and can be a touch high maintenance. But he as reminded me on occasions when I went into panic that as long as I could get fluids down and did not have any acid reflux problems I'd be ok, and I was. He reminded me that I was restricting an organ that wasn't really made to be restricted, it's going to react a little from time to time.

He told me that many things cause internal inflamation inside the body and it is often difficult to tell what the root cause is. Did vomiting cause a vicious cycle, did I have a touch of a virus causing tissue inflamation, was I retaining fluids due to my period? Who knows.

I've been in one month for a tighten then back 8 weeks later for a slight unfill and back again 3 months later for a fill. We've been playing with the same .4 cc for about 6 months now. In, out and back in again. I've just come to realize that it's part of the maintenance of a lap band. I don't freak out anymore. As long as there's no acid or pain I can handle all the flip-flopping now. I'm just used to it.

According to your ticker you are doing amazingly well. Congratulations! Hope you get it all sorted out.

Thanks for sharing. Each stage with the band is a whole new experience. I just get to thinking I have this thing down to a science and something new comes up. (and this time "coming up" is pretty literal) My band has been a Godsend for me, but I guess it always is a foreign body in my body.

I think I just got frustrated and started eating slider foods rather than deal with the problem. I have to eat slower and take smaller bites. It is a lot better when I do that, but still get stuck sometimes. I guess the thing I miss most is not certain types of food or eating more, but not getting to eat my food while it is hot. The first bite or two is hot and moist and tastes so good, I swallow it too fast and take another bite. Once the first bite or two is down and settled, I can eat fine, but by then it is cold. Live and learn.

I think maybe part of why I have been pretty stable is I am post menopausal so I do not have to deal with hormone fluctuation. However, I have been under a lot of stress at work and I wonder if that causes changes in the band?

I am on day 3 of liquids and doing better. I am now having a lot of growling and gurgling in my stomach, but the pain is gone. I am really not hungry, just feeling sorry for myself because I cannot eat. I have had a lot of gas and bloating for several weeks I think maybe the getting stuck once and then not letting it settle and starting that viscious cycle is what happened. Maybe I will not need an unfill. I will see what my doc thinks.

It helps to hear other's stories!

Thanks