Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr says my calorie count cant be right Grrrrr

I agree with the science stuff - IN A NORMAL BODY. But none of us would be on LAPBANDTALK if we had normal bodies ;) I am one of those people who can gain weight on 1500 calories a day. But I also stop losing weight at 800 calories a day. We all have some sweet spot calorie wise- we just have to find it. And finding it takes patience because you can't eat 800 one day and 1500 the next and say the 800 didn't work for you. You need to stick to one thing for a couple of weeks and see if that does the trick. Personally, I am horrible at that. The other trick is not weighing ourselves compulsively (again, I fail here), because we expect day to day results. Two weeks ago, from Friday to Friday, I had no weight loss and then from Friday to Monday, I lost 4.5 lbs. OBVIOUSLY something was going on....

Again, I agree with all the math and I also know that statistically, we tend to overestimate calorie burn and under estimate consumption. But the reality is, all of us want to lose weight - but not all of us do it the same way. Make love, not war ;)

Sounds like you are not getting enough calories my doc says I need 1300-1500 calories a day for weight lost it seems like a lot of food to eat for the band user but it can be done .....Banded Aug 27 APS band with 2cc's I never had a fill yet in 3 visits, so look into finding the right calorie count for your body style which is weight height and age.

I agree that maybe the problem is not ENOUGH calories. 800 sounds so very low.

I don't know how it works, but I do know my weight stalls whenever I drink only Protein Shakes or I don't eat at least 1000 calories a day. I know science doesn't support this phenomenon, but I experience it myself and hear about it from others a lot.

I wish some doctors would not automatically doubt their patients' reports. We need to be a team and be on the same page.

Sounds like your doctor has some knowledge and understanding of a person needing adequate calorie intake for weight loss!

~hiddn

I agree with the science stuff - IN A NORMAL BODY. But none of us would be on LAPBANDTALK if we had normal bodies ;) I am one of those people who can gain weight on 1500 calories a day. But I also stop losing weight at 800 calories a day. We all have some sweet spot calorie wise- we just have to find it. And finding it takes patience because you can't eat 800 one day and 1500 the next and say the 800 didn't work for you. You need to stick to one thing for a couple of weeks and see if that does the trick. Personally, I am horrible at that. The other trick is not weighing ourselves compulsively (again, I fail here), because we expect day to day results. Two weeks ago, from Friday to Friday, I had no weight loss and then from Friday to Monday, I lost 4.5 lbs. OBVIOUSLY something was going on....

Again, I agree with all the math and I also know that statistically, we tend to overestimate calorie burn and under estimate consumption. But the reality is, all of us want to lose weight - but not all of us do it the same way. Make love, not war ;)

I resonate and sympathize with all the posts here. I am also one of those people who gain on Weight Watchers and stop losing on really low calories. I also have low blood sugar, so as much as I need to keep carbs low, I must have at least the equivalent of one slice of bread a day, or I start passing out, as I did on the pre-op shake diet.

I am recently banded, only a few days ago, December 7, 2010. My opinion is that the band is a tool to help achieve weight loss. I intend to follow a diet similar to the old "Scarsdale" diet ( on which I lost a lot of weight years ago), using the band as a tool to deal with the hunger and smaller portions. I know I also need to exercise, and that's hard with my current schedule.

I guess the bottom line is the band is only one tool in the weight loss arsenal, and it can't be relied on as the only answer to achieving a significant weight loss. With the help of the nutrition staff at my surgeon's office, and possibly a trainer, I am looking forward to a new body within the next year or so.

Losing weight has always been a struggle, and I don't expect it to be any different now.

Thanks for (most) of your replies. I will try to exercise more days or for longer times as that is the obnly thing I can see that I can do. But, I will admit I have been bad this weekend as a reaction to the doc's comment and have sabatoged my self due to my poor choices. I really need something positive to happen weight wise so that I have validation I am doing something right.

So, back to a wine and chocolate free zone beginning tomorrow.

Thanks for (most) of your replies. I will try to exercise more days or for longer times as that is the obnly thing I can see that I can do. But, I will admit I have been bad this weekend as a reaction to the doc's comment and have sabatoged my self due to my poor choices. I really need something positive to happen weight wise so that I have validation I am doing something right.

So, back to a wine and chocolate free zone beginning tomorrow.

I have to agree with most here, you can be eating to little of calories and your body could be reacting to that, if you are exercising regular I would try upping the caloric intake a few hundred.

I was told to get 1300-1500 calories a day for proper weight lost , It goes by your body style good luck

It is not as simple as calories in vs calories expended. Our bodies react very differently to different calorie sources especially if you have a metabolic issue (PCOS, metabolic syndrome, syndrome X, insulin resistance, thyroid issues, Cushings Syndrome, etc.) There are plenty of documented cases of women with PCOS being vegetarian, on a diet, exercising and still gaining weight. I do believe most people who are obese have diagnosed or undiagnosed metabolic issues.

I have PCOS and know for a fact that if I eat normal portions I gain weight no matter what. I have been eating on a salad plate for years and still was weighing 265 lbs when all of this started. In order to loose weight, I have to eat portions that fit on a dessert plate about what my 3 year old would eat. I cannot eat that portion without being ravenous. I got the lap-band to help curb hunger.

I do get tired of doctors and others saying that there is no way a person cannot be loosing weight or even gaining on a limited diet. It happens all the time.

If you are not loosing weight on a limited diet, perhaps you should see an endocrinologist and get a workup done to see if there are metabolic issues or other medical issues. Of course, see your PCP or pharmacist to find out if any medications you may be on is causing weight gain or slow metabolism.

My mother is just like the original poster. Years ago we went on WW together. I lost fast, she would loose 1/4 pound a week. She doesn't cheat! Then she went on another program and had to weigh everyday at their center, they would accuse her of cheating, etc. It was awful!

We don;t know enough about weight loss at this time. There are people who can eat a whole pizza and be thin and those who can have a piece and be fat. I've read a lot. It is the 'wasting' ability of a body that is still very misunderstood. What they do know is what Atkins was saying all along. Cut White Carbs (as we know them) and stay away from higher glycemic fruits and veggies. Proteins first.

Hugging Original Poster and hoping you find YOUR answer as you go through this journey.

I BELIEVE you!

Melissa