Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

finding fill Doctors

AARRGGHH!!!! I had my surgery in Maine 5/17/05 and moved to Orlando, Florida 7/20/05. I have called numerous places and all but one has refused to treat me as I am a liability! the one place that woudl treat me wanted a "program fee" od $ 1,000.00! then the fills would be 150.00 is the dr did it and 75.00 if the nurse did it. I asked what the program fee entailed and was basically a "refresher". Well, I know why I did this and how, I don't feel I need to pay someone that much money to go over it again. I feel like I am being taken advantage of. What happens if you relocate witha pacemaker or other implanted device?? I know that it is basically because the band is so new but still really angers me. I am fortunate enough to have a friend who is a pilot and helps me get back to Maine and then I pay 300.00 cash for my fills. If anyone knows of a reasonable place in Florida who does fills please let me know...Don't care where at this point. Thanks for listening to me vent!:phanvan

My doctor mentioned she is the only one in the area who will take pts. who had lap band done in Mexico, so I'm sure she would take one from Maine. I couldn't tell you how much the fills are though or if there is a program fee or anything. I only just had my first fill two weeks ago and the first year is covered in my surgery fee. It'd be worth contacting her though if you're still looking. She is in Clearwater -- Tiffany Jessee -- www.shedthepounds.com.

She's an awesome doc and has several years experience with the band in florida.

Hope this helps.

I have found a doctor in my area to do the fills. I found him through the Fill Center USA web site. I don't know if there are any doctors in your area but you could check the web site and see. The web address to locate a doctor is http://fillcentersusa.com/locator/

When I went there I couldn't find a doctor in my area but when I called the 800 number they had a doctor in the process if signing up so I'll use him. There is a rather pricey annual plan ($1200) but you don't have to sign up for that. You can just go for the initial consult (which includes a fill if you need it) for $299 and each fill after that is $155, not too bad. Good luck!

Thanks Harleygirl that was a great recomendation, what a great price. It turned out the closest to me in Michigan was a Nashville Tn clinic. Weird huh, Michigan sure does their share of bands. I've lost 25#'s, 16 since the banding in June 05 - I'm a turtle! 40#'s to go. 1 fill, Aug 05 1.7 cc and have had so much GI distress since that I'm a little afraid of another fill. Wish I had a local Doctor to talk it over with. I've increased my excercise to 6hrs a week but at 55, a life time dieter with thyroid trouble I think my metabolism is in the dumper. Weight training - yuck - is what I need.

Hang in there Jane, you'll get there. Has the GI distress abated since you had the fill? Who did your surgery? Can you call get a phone consultation with them? Nothing worse than worrying if something is 'normal' or not. I am a natural worrier and always feel better if I can get assurance from my doctor.

Thanks OlyHarleygirl. The GI distress didn't start until the fill. Dr de la Garza (Lit'nfree) in Monterey Mexico did the surgery and we were generaly pleased with our experience except for the lack of aftercare. My earlier e-mails to the dietician went basically unresponded to. The co-ordinator did get her to respond but the message was pretty clear that I was on my own. She did give me this web site which is a God sent - and they do fills for free but it costs me $500 in air-fare to get there. I'm finding in gereral following some of the tips I've got on line that as long as I do flds for Breakfast and otherwise go sloooow and attend very carefully to phsycial sensation I do better. Who knew?? - I was apparently quite tuned out to belly sensation....until I'd get the whole shebang. Do you ride a Harley?

It's too bad your doctor isn't more attentive to you. I'm only 3 weeks post band and so far I've had contact with my doctor or his staff every week. According to him I will have ongoing support but I haven't had a need to test it yet. More and more doctors are doing this procedure so it's only a matter of time before there's one in your area. Keep your chin up and keep looking.

Yes, I ride a Harley, although at this point I'm still a passenger. After I've dropped some weight I'll get a bike of my own. Right now I'm not confident I can pick myself up off the ground if I fall let alone an 800 pound bike! I would attach a picture but I don't know how.

hello everyone, I am new here and i am considering the lap band procedure. My bmi is 35 and I have high blood pressure and high choleserol. My insurance will not pay for the procedure so I am trying to decide if I want to travel to Mexico or pay the high price for this procedure here in the USA. please help any feedback is appreciated. I have looked into dr.kuri in Tijuana mexico and have found very good comments about him and his staff.

thanks,

Stacey

Hi Stacy, I went to Mexico for the same reasons you're talking about. Dr de la Garzia with the Litenfree group in Monteray, Mexico. They take very good care of people and cost is about $8,500. I found them by googling lapbands. The only problem is that despite they say 24hr availabliity via e-mail I definitely thought the aftercare was lacking. I did go back to them for my first fill - again they were gracious and accomodating and took very good care of me. My husband went with me for the surgery but I went on my own for the fill. The driver from the airport doesn't speak English but is personable and very capable. Most of the hospital staff does not speak english but they go out of there way to find the people who do for you. The surgeon and coordinator are multilinqual. It was actually a great experience overall. Living with the band has been a little more challenging than I expected but I'm getting better at it. Good luck to you!