Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cpap -- to use or not to use...

I would recommend taking the cpap with you., Right after recovery when I was drifting in and out of sleep, my o2 level dropped to 83% but came back up after my cpap was put on.... just my 2cents.

I also had to do a sleep study and was found to have sleep apnea. After I got the machine I didn't use it right away, but started about 2 weeks before surgery. The sleep Dr. had me come in and read the chip. He saw I hadn't used it that much, but was happy that when I did use it that my time of managing to keep it on was getting longer. I had to bring the machine with me to surgery and woke up in recovery with the machine and mask on. I did change masks and am now using what they call nose pillows. Instead of a full face mask, it's just a strap with two cushions that fit in my nostrils. Much more comfortable and I don't feel suffocated. Maybe you can try a different mask.

Good luck and don't give up on the cpap just yet. It really takes getting used to. And there is no guarantee that the weight loss will make the apnea go away.

I had my 2nd sleep study last night and i Took your advice and asked to start out with the Nasal Pillow Mask and I really didn't have any problems at all. I got a good nights sleep - not great, but good and didn't wake up with any anxiety attacks - now I only have 18 apneas per hour so maybe that made it easier. This isn't going to be as hard as I thought.....I leave for Jamaica on 12/8 so I don't plan on having them set up the equipment until after I get back.

I gotta tell ya - i'm NOT lookin' forward to seeing my fiance's face when I put this on! haha!!! not ONE bit!!!!

I have Aeta. I had mild sleep apnea and had to get the cpap as well but was dead set against it. What I did was, get it and never wear it because I was told I had to have in it order to get the surgery. I did not wear it and returned it the week after the surgery. They never said anything to me. Hope this helps a little!!!

I had my 2nd sleep study last night and i Took your advice and asked to start out with the Nasal Pillow Mask and I really didn't have any problems at all. I got a good nights sleep - not great, but good and didn't wake up with any anxiety attacks - now I only have 18 apneas per hour so maybe that made it easier. This isn't going to be as hard as I thought.....I leave for Jamaica on 12/8 so I don't plan on having them set up the equipment until after I get back.

I gotta tell ya - i'm NOT lookin' forward to seeing my fiance's face when I put this on! haha!!! not ONE bit!!!!

I totally recommend wearing your CPAP as it could save your life! There was a State Representative who

died of sleep apnea here in PA a couple of weeks ago. It is a very serious condition and you really need

to listen to your doctor on this one. I have really bad sleep apnea, have been using my CPAP for over a year,

and feel so much better in the morning, much more alert. Good luck!

Being diagnosed with sleep apnea is a bit like being diagnosed with ADD. If they look hard enough, they'll find it. Anything to get the insurance money.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, got the machine and never wore it because I couldn't find a mask that fit right and so the thing would make burping noises on my cheeks, keeping me awake at night. However, my husband noticed that as I lost weight, the interrupted sleep/gasping noises declined. I still have 100 pounds to go but the apnea is gone.

Personally, if your insurance covers it, I'd do whatever it takes to get approved for that band.

I totally recommend wearing your CPAP as it could save your life! There was a State Representative who

died of sleep apnea here in PA a couple of weeks ago. It is a very serious condition and you really need

to listen to your doctor on this one. I have really bad sleep apnea, have been using my CPAP for over a year,

and feel so much better in the morning, much more alert. Good luck!

At first I went into this with the intention of just pleasing everyone and getting the cpap so I could get the surgery but I have to admit that after I took the cpap sleep study last week - I think I could do it - I hate the feeling the waking up in the morning and having my fiance tell me how bad i was snoring (lol) He says it with concern, he's not teasing (well....not ALL the time) but I hate it ---- and since I've gained the last 20-30 pounds it's gotten soooo much worse!!! the cpap equipment company called me yesterday and said that they would be calling later this week to schedule a time to come to the house to set it up.... I guess it's going to have to wait till after Jamaica cause their call and my trip are kinda going to be around the same time so I won't even have this machine until mid December and surgery is mid January (if all gets approved)

Thank you for your concern and advice.

Thanks everyone!!

I weigh-in at 350lbs and i have extremely bad obstructive sleep apnea. The CPAP was very uncomfortable at first, getting used to have something over your face and all. I must say that three years later that machine has saved my life.

I do not snore and I wake up feeling rested and ready to face the day. I think that having obstructive sleep apnea helped me get the surgery which is this coming Friday December 3rd. If your doc recommends it do it. It just might save your life.

Well.....my sleep study showed 18 apneas per hour. 89% sleep rate! Not sooooo bad but bad enough for a cpap to be highly recommended by dr. I refused and asked if we could just go forward in this journey, allow me to lose some weight and retake the study again 5-6 months after surgery. Doc agreed but was very careful in how he wrote his clearance letter to surgeon.

Surgery coordinator and I spoke yesterday and she said that anestegeology may not clear me now and she needs another consent stating that it would be ok to have surgery with cpap however, not before

If they say no I'm done! I've tried to wear that thing. It freaks me out. Like I'm having anxiety attacks!! And ok ok....what if I get it but don't wear it and they request the memory chip.

I have aetna. I have 80 pounds to get to goal. Just HALF of that and I'll probably be close to an apnea free life

Anyone ??? Can you offer some help or insight? Or feel free to bitch along with me.

~~~Renee

Renee,

I have sleep apnea, too. I use the nasal pillows. They are MUCH more comfortable and less confining than the mask. The mask caused my skin to blister and that is how I found about the pillows. My brother, who also has sleep apnea, is using the nasal pillows and has adjusted to them well. He had tried the mask years ago and refused to wear it. He's been using the nasal pillows for 2 weeks and is comfortable.

Ask your sleep clinic about the nasal pillows.

Best of luck! Joan

If you need a machine, by all means, do it!!! I know of three people who fell asleep at the wheel while waiting for their sleep study. I have severe sleep apnea (56/hr) and have been using a bipap (double pressure) for about 8 years. It made an extreme difference in my life. Before the bipap, I'd barely make it home from work and collapse on the couch and fall asleep. I don't know how I drove home sometimes. I'm so used to my machine now, that I barely know it's there. My husband much prefers the hum of the machine over my snoring and gasping for air, and he doesn't care at all what it looks like on me. (My cousin's husband, on the other hand, told her he wasn't sleeping with an alien). Once when we left to visit my husband's family out of state, we were 2 hours into a 7 hour drive when he asked if I remembered to pack my machine. I hadn't, and he turned around to go back home and get it. On the rare occasion when our electricity goes out, neither of us can sleep. Anyway, don't mess with this. It is dangerous.

My doctor was really a pain about the cpap...wouldnt let me get surgery until I had actually picked the machine up from the DME company. They also made me stay overnight to monitor breathing (actually a GOOD thing, got the good meds!) Now I haven't been using it since surgery, I know I should but I wake up all through the night.