Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Folks,

I am in pre-op diet hell. Today is day 4 and I have not cheated once. However All I can think of is food!!! My Dr. has me on a pre-op diet of 5 diabetic(even though I am not diabetic) Boost shakes and 1 cup of veggies until my surgery Nov 18th

I plead for some tips/hints on how to stop thinking of food or alternatives to make this easier

weight.png

Im sorry :thumbup: I wish there were a great answer to this question, but I havent found it. Im on a 3 week liquid diet, with 2 protien shakes and 1.5 cups of fat free cottage cheese being my "meals". Ive been allowed to have lots of sugar free Jello and low sodium broth to "tide" me over. Can you have the JELLO? Its pretty helpful because I feel like Im eating since its with a spoon.

I am allowed the sugar free Jello. It has been the saving grace. I feel much better this morning. We will see how today goes. I guess one day at a time is the best way to handle this. I wish I could have the cottage cheese though:-(

ARGH! They brought cupcakes for halloween at work! They are just staring me in the face! Focus April, Focus!

Wow that makes me feel good that I work from home. I decided I am avoiding all halloween events so I won't tempt/torture myself. Stay strong April!

The liquid diet gets easier, really it does. I could not eat real food of any type. broth, sugar free Jello, Protein drinks, that was it.

I did crave the strangest things when I was on it. Things that I havent eaten in years. It became amusing after awhile.

It does get easier, just take it one meal at a time and SF Jello will save you as it does make it feel that you had real food.< /p>

Remember, it will all be worth it when you wake up after surgery banded, because you followed the diet.

Those Boost shakes are junk. They don't really provide decent nutrition and I highly doubt they are meant to be a Meal Replacement. Try some other high Protein shakes like EAS or Muscle Milk. They will give you more Protein and Vitamins. Why such a long time on liquids before surgery? I just had a two day clear liquid diet before my band. Hum.....I wish all the doctors would come to a consensus on what it safe and what is excessive when it comes to their pre and post op plans.

Melissa

Well I didnt have the cupcakes (although I thought long and hard about it). Now that Im not eating out, I realize how much of my social outings revolved around food. If a friend and I were to spend the day out shopping, it would be normal to go and have lunch. On this diet I cant do that. I also went and saw a movie today, and have to restrain myself from getting popcorn and a soda. Just a bottled Water for me, thanks.

Lucily I just have from 10/31-11/9 to go on this diet, because Im banded 11/10! It will be worth not eating the things I THINK i need (but really dont)

Find things to distract yourself with. Stay away from food.

The papers I received from my surgeons office advised us to avoid watching TV during the liquid diet stage. They claim that seeing all those images and advertisements for food makes it much harder to avoid them.

I am on the last day of the pre-op diet.. mine is 3

EAS shakes.. which I have to say are pretty satisfying..plus i get one meal with meat and green veggie only.. now I think around day 4 was one of the hardest.. after that I started adjusting better and just stopped thinking about food..

My outlook was.. I have had plenty of food to last me a while.. and none of them was worth messing up my surgery.

I know about halloween.. we had a potluck at work.. which I could not eat .. but only brought myself a sf jello..orange to hold me over.. I even made a cake for the party.

Just think.. how awesome it is going to be.. !!!!

look forward. email me if you need to.. for support..

You can do it!!!!:wink2:

I just ran a search and found the following:

Boost Glucose Control is an excellent source of Protein - 16 g.

If you are drinking 5 of them you are probably getting enough Protein. They also have 250 calories which means you are over 1,000 calories a day. I'm sure it sucks. If it makes you feel better my doctor wanted me to do a special liquid diet that was only 500 calories a day.

When I looked at my food journal, my diet runs about 620 per day. 3 half cup servings of fat free cottage cheese = 300 calories (100 cal a serving) then my shakes are 160 (and I have 2). I do have sugar free , sugar free popcicles, and broth, so Id say maybe I'd hit 700 a day. I can throw in one 16 oz serving of juice, and one sugar free fudgepop, but whats the point if I have diet juice and popcicles?

i am on day 8 of my two week diet. i can have two Protein Shakes and one serving of Soup. but i can supplement with cottage cheese, Jello, pudding. going ok but i am hungry.

I'm on day 5. I'm not really hungry, but I am so BORED of sweet, mushy food. I don't really like sweets all that much. I don't want this stupid liquid breakfst--I want a boiled egg and a piece of toast! How sad is it when a boiled egg is your object of desire? heh.

To the OP: At least you can have veggies!! There is no need for me to chew any of the things on my pre-op plan. I'd like to chew something, but I will survive without it.

I also have two samples of the unjury chicken and unflavored Protein packs. I plan to space them out a little to try to avoid getting completely burned out on the sweet things. I will put the unflavored powder into some NSA chicken broth with a LOT of cayenne pepper.