Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone REGRET getting banded and why?

I am 4 weeks post op and have lost 24 pounds and I don't regret it AT ALL! I LOVE food and that is something that I have had to get through my head--food is not a reward it is a necessity!

Good Luck to you!

I don't regret having it done, but I would say that it hasn't been all the things I thought it would be. I am a health care person and I know all the logical processes for the lap band, but what my head knew and my heart wanted were different things. I think somewhere inside of me, I had hoped it would be the magic answer. When they say its just a tool, they really, really mean that. I had hoped that would make things easier, but in reality it still is a lot of work. Having said that I'm about 7 months out and down 51 lbs 28 since surgery so its about a pound a week. I wouldn't have been able to do that without the band. I think if I had it to do over, I might have considered something for the psychological aspects of eating before the band. BUT, its still one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I guess i'll put my two sense in on this too. I was banded on July 13th and I have NO regrets. For the first time in my adult life, I don't feel like food is running my life. I've had three fills and get full with a very small amount of food. Like some of the others said, I had to learn how to deal with emotions and stress in different ways-I was extremely emotional for about the first six weeks after surgery, but once I spoke to my doctor and she reassured me that it was completely normal, I was able to move ahead!

When I look in the mirror, no regrets. When I don't have to take any blood pressure medication anymore, no regrets.

When I've dropped three sizes in pants, no regrets. When my sleep disorders doctor had me schedule a sleep test to see if I might be able to go off the CPAP (for sleep apnea completely related to my weight!), NO REGRETS!!!

If you are ready to start on an incredible journey, make the appointment and move ahead on your new life!

No regrets - not a single one. I almost pinch myself everyday because I can't believe how far I've come. I'm at my lowest since my early high school days. From a 3X/26-28 to a medium/8-10.

I had gas pain in my shoulder like the dickens for about 6 weeks. I could have done without that stabbing pain, but a heating pad was my very best friend. I had my surgery on a Friday and was back to work Monday (not 100%, but in a week or so I was pretty close).

My port incision was tender for 3-4 months and took the longest to heal. I feel very blessed and fortunate to have had the success I've had. It is hard work, mentally difficult. You have to sort through your food issues and come to terms with your demons, but that being said, restriction helps greatly! And I feel like the band gives you the time you need to get your head in the game so to speak.

My best advice if you decide to go through with it is:

1. Find a workout buddy to walk with, bike with, go to the gym, hike, swim, whatever you think you can do to get moving.

2. Plan your meals, Snacks. Especially on days that can be chaotic. Always have something with you healthy that you can grab instead of heading to a fast food joint. In my desk at work I keep at least a couple of these things: single servings of mandarin oranges in a can, 100 cal popcorn bags, almonds, homemade granola, dried fruit, Protein bar, a yogurt (if you have access to a frig), Protein shake, 100 cal snack packs, cheese sticks. You get the idea. Stuff something in your purse or bag to tie you over until you have time to eat a small meal.

3. Don't get discouraged. You will have highs and lows, periods of great weight loss and some plateaus. Try and focus on the big picture and what you want to achieve.

4. Reward yourself when you get to a small milestone. Buy something small, treat yourself to a manicure or pedicure, have your hair done or makeup done, or just go shopping and try on clothes if you can't afford to buy any. Enjoy your successes!

5. Try and remember that your work is not over once you get to goal. It's just a new phase.

6. Keep posting, go to support groups, get together with bandsters in your area to share tips and ideas. Don't make this journey one you must make alone. It's easier with people who "get it".

7. Remember to remind those who care about you (who you have told and are supportive) that their support is important. It makes a world of difference to have someone who is there for you when times get tough, that motivates you to go and take a walk (and goes with you) when you don't feel like it, that is there when it's hard not to fall back into old habits, and helps you Celebrate your successes.

8. If you have trouble with food issues you can't resolve on your own, to seek professional help. Sometimes it takes their insight to help understand your underlying reasons for unhealthy behaviors.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. But it is just so worth it.