Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband or Vertical Sleeve

Your doctor raises good questions, but sounds as though he was doing a bit of a hard sell. This is likely because he is enthusiastic about an exciting newer procedure that yes, is promising--but also is probably a bit more fun for him, because it's ...well, exciting and newer.

There are lots of good reasons to have a sleeve. Similarly, there are lots of good reasons to choose the band. Each has advantages and disadvantages. The long-term information about the sleeve is sparser, though--so you have to take his long-range prognostication with a tiny grain of salt.

For me, the decision was based on:

a. invasiveness/degree of body modification

b. adjustability

c. INSURANCE COVERAGE--the sleeve is an absolute no-go, in terms of many insurers' coverage

d. potential reversibility/ability to revise

Your criteria may be different than mine; you will have to do your own research and determine what is best for you. I am very happy with my band, and would do it again in a New York minute. OTOH, if I were to develop problems and require replacement or revision, I would consider the sleeve, if it were covered by insurance.

Just remember that every doctor, like every human, has his own opinions--and that they might not be right for YOU. Only you can determine what will work best in your life.

Frankly I am against any surgery that involves cutting for me right now. There are so many other complications that you can have with those kind of surgeries. Yes, I am sure the surgeons do them all the time, but if you are the case that has complications, or the site dehisses or anything like that, I would not want to be there.

I really also do not want to do anything permanent to my body. and the sleeve is permanent.

My first choice in a WLS procedure was lap-band. did my research and was set on it for the most part. I truly did not hear about the sleeve until i went to the seminar but thought nothing of the sleeve because it wasn't performed as much (from what i read months before). I think people tend to focus on what is presented publicly (gastric bypass/lapband); so people tend to gear towards those two.

the doctor mentioned/advised i go home and do more research on which procedure i wanted since i did like the idea of the vertical sleeve in her office. i decided on the sleeve and she too thought it was a good idea.

for the most part i decided against the band because i did not want to deal with possibility of erosion, fill/unfill, slippage, etc.

while the idea of the majority of my stomach being removed did not sit well with me at first, i did realize that tons of people live w/o parts of their organs, limbs, etc. and function well. just knowing that i wouldn't have to go in and out of a doctors office for fills/unfills; worrying about what if insurance no longer covered them, etc just made me feel better.

it's all personal choice and i also felt i'd be more successful with weight loss with the sleeve because the majority of my stomach would be gone. i hate to say that i would take it to that extreme to remove most of my stomach, but in the end, we all want the goal of weight loss.

just research extensively. i know i watched a lot of youtube vids on eroded, slipped bands and port flips, etc and made me feel glad i decided with the sleeve

each surgery has its pro's and con's. make sure you're weighing the situation accordingly to you. ultimately it's your choice

Hey Bry,

I am just starting looking at VSG, trying to learn more so that when folks post here I can answer with a bit of intelligence.

Did you research strictures at all (when part of the sleeve gets tighter than other parts)? And I'm also curious about the size of the sleeve. Are you concerned about if the sleeve diameter is too big when all is said an done?

I've seen differing studies on outcomes of weightloss, one says much less weight loss than banding, one says about the same. What have you found?

Hey Bry,

I am just starting looking at VSG, trying to learn more so that when folks post here I can answer with a bit of intelligence.

Did you research strictures at all (when part of the sleeve gets tighter than other parts)? And I'm also curious about the size of the sleeve. Are you concerned about if the sleeve diameter is too big when all is said an done?

I've seen differing studies on outcomes of weightloss, one says much less weight loss than banding, one says about the same. What have you found?

Hi Cocoabean :cursing:

I did read about strictures and asked my surgeon about them. she said strictures occur more commonly with those who have a 32fr or smaller. that being said, she said the most common sizes were 32-40fr and she has not personally had any patients who have had a stricture. but said that if patients experience a stricture they may experience some difficulties with digesting food, food feeling stuck or vomiting, etc.

ways to correct it would be dilation of the sleeve in that area which generally corrects itself or last resort would be re-operation

here is a youtube vid on size of tubes (bougie sizes)

sorry to say i haven't seen or searched for info on size of sleeve related to weight loss

Coco,

My doc gave us a print out of lots of stuff during my seminar and it said that while intial weight loss with the sleeve was greater than the band, at 3 years postop, weight loss was about the same in the two groups.

I also started on my journey with the intent on getting a band but after research and talks with my Dr. I will be getting sleeved.. Do your research and you will find what's right for you..

Thanks y'all, sleeve seems very scary to me, but I am banded and doing well, and not making the decision.

mskissty, you are correct, everyone needs to research for themselves and make an informed decision. But I don't want to be on here and "bad mouth" sleeve or bypass just because I feel the band was right for me. Thus my questions to those who are researching it now. Most likely you who have made your desisions will go on to VSG boards and support eachother there. :)

Best wishes to the soon to be sleevers out there!

Denise

Thanks y'all, sleeve seems very scary to me, but I am banded and doing well, and not making the decision.

mskissty, you are correct, everyone needs to research for themselves and make an informed decision. But I don't want to be on here and "bad mouth" sleeve or bypass just because I feel the band was right for me. Thus my questions to those who are researching it now. Most likely you who have made your desisions will go on to VSG boards and support eachother there. :)

Best wishes to the soon to be sleevers out there!

Denise

I know for myself I will be visiting both boards.. I believe we are all going thru a huge change in our lives and there is something I can learn from the banded and the sleeves. I enjoy this board and it is very informative for WLS as a whole. I wouldn't give this board up for anything.. IDK about all the other sleeves but I'm not going anywhere..

Im with you KrisBanded. Despite my personal decision to go with the sleeve we are all still on the same journey. We are just using different avenues to reach the same goal of healthiness. I also enjoy visiting this site and I am not going anywhere and there is not anything anyone can do about it:tt2:.

I have not read through all of the replies to this post but thought I would throw this out there. I recently have had to see a Gastro Doc for what turned out to be bile issues. While on my first consultation visit she and I were discussing my Gastric band and she said to me, "I am so glad you got the band and not the other surgery like the RNy, I see so many complications with those surgeries."

Now, to be fair, she probably only see pt's when they have a problem and not all of the ones that do not. If you have the chance to speak to other doctors like a Gastroenterologist, see what kind of complications they come across that maybe you have not been informed of.

On the other hand, when I went for an endoscopy yesterday, the pre-op nurse said to me, "You know, EVERYONE with the lap-band gets reflux." Um.....I do not have acid reflux associated with the band. It turns out I have Bile Reflux associated with having my Gall Bladder removed. In the end you have to go with what YOU think YOU can handle.

Im with you KrisBanded. Despite my personal decision to go with the sleeve we are all still on the same journey. We are just using different avenues to reach the same goal of healthiness. I also enjoy visiting this site and I am not going anywhere and there is not anything anyone can do about it:tt2:.

Nope, I don't wanna kick anyone off the board who provides information about the other procedures.

I want to see that here. I just don't want to see disrespect of any of the procedures (especially banding, as this is a band board) or those who choose them.

I've recently started reading the sleevetalk board. Lots of interesting stuff over there, too.

I haven't posted anything because I want to read a while to be sure of how I'd be received. I hope it would be with respect, as I'd only post to provide information and personal experience about the band. Never to debate or try to turn anyone away from choosing the sleeve.

Nope, I don't wanna kick anyone off the board who provides information about the other procedures.

I want to see that here. I just don't want to see disrespect of any of the procedures (especially banding, as this is a band board) or those who choose them.

I've recently started reading the sleevetalk board. Lots of interesting stuff over there, too.

I haven't posted anything because I want to read a while to be sure of how I'd be received. I hope it would be with respect, as I'd only post to provide information and personal experience about the band. Never to debate or try to turn anyone away from choosing the sleeve.

Are you implying that I'm here to band bash? This is an open board anyone that registers can have an opinion. Though the band is not the option best for me, if there was not sleeve I would be getting banded. Different people do different things to get healthly it is not my intent or purpose to bring undue confusion and problems to people looking for support. Obesity is very serious. Even though I am not getting a band I expect that same support from people going thru something similar.

The topic of this thread is band vs sleeve.. I would only expect people to debate or state negatives and positives about each procedure. At what point did that become disrepectful?

Are you implying that I'm here to band bash? This is an open board anyone that registers can have an opinion. Though the band is not the option best for me, if there was not sleeve I would be getting banded. Different people do different things to get healthly it is not my intent or purpose to bring undue confusion and problems to people looking for support. Obesity is very serious. Even though I am not getting a band I expect that same support from people going thru something similar.

The topic of this thread is band vs sleeve.. I would only expect people to debate or state negatives and positives about each procedure. At what point did that become disrepectful?

No, I was not implying that at all. I responded in agreement to gottamakeachange's statement that no one can kick her off.

I like that there are sleevers on here who can respond with intelligence to questions asked about the procedure. I believe I also asked questions of potetial sleeve folk up thread so that I could respond to people who post on here asking about various procedures.

I was stating that I don't WANT to see disrespect of anyone on here. I would be upset at someone who came on here and disrepected us as people who made our decision to have a band for our reasons. You certainly did disrespect anyone on this thread. I agreed with you that everyone needs to research and make an informed decision.

I also was saying that I have been reading the sleeve board just recently. Saying I haven't posted there because I haven't gotten a feel for the board to know if a bandster would be welcome at all. I don't want to poke my nose where it isn't welcome. I certainly would not post on a sleeve board that I believe the band is better than a sleeve and everyone should get a band, because that certainly isn't the case.

I have read other boards (not WLS boards) where people who did not fit the dynamic of the board were not welcome to post. Period. If one was not a memeber of the subculture, one was not welcome to post.

I have also been reading the sleeve board lately and the impression that I get (which could be mistaken) is that they are very antiband unless you have been "converted".

For those people that are considering getting the sleeve because they have been told they will suffer reflux with the band I suggest they do some more research. It seems that reflux is also a big problem with the sleeve as the stomach continues to produce plenty of acid even though the stomach is much smaller.Most sleevers seem to be on some kind of permanent antiacid medication.