Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I knew there was a reason I had decided not to tell anyone about my surgery. Well....Then I decided to tell some people at church and my brother and his family.. Well here come the stories. Was just told today.."yup they are burying someone today and she died from Lap Band" set up infection. OMG!! Seriously, I hate this word but I just want to say SHUT UP... "Oh I hope your not having it at that one hospital, I know a guy and he died on the table", "well I know so and so and she had it done and she is as big as she ever was"...

So I am feeling a bit nervous and aggervated all togather. Has anyone else heard anything like this?? I dont think they are making it up but what is the deal... I have about talked myself out of having the procedure all togather. I have had complete peace about it this whole time but now I am just torn.. Uggg... I just wish people would hush...

If you have researched your surgeon and the hospital and they have a good rep than I would say the following. " My surgeon has an excellent record (if they have never lost a patient tell them that), and the hospital is top notch. If you don't have something supportive to say I am not discussing this with you." If they won't stop then walk away leave the gathering if neccessary. You don't need negative vibes. If however your hospital or doctor doesn't have a stellar record get one who does.

Two weeks before my surgery there was a death of a healthy partial liver donor at my hospital. First death ever for this procedure at the hospital and first death nation wide in like 15 years. Had nothing to do with me, my surgeon, or procedure but still kind of freaked me out.

Hi and yikes. I did hear some of that before surgery but all the risks related to gastric bypass...the 1:200 morbidity rate (still leaves it at under 1%) and I grouped the naysayers in to 2 groups...those who genuinely cared and those who were a wee jealous it was me doing something they either can't or are too afraid to do. To the second group I waved them off with a shrug and large eyeroll....kind of a get over yourself. To the genuine concern group I simply explained all life comes with risk but...at least...in my situation...this extra weight is killing me and robbing me of my life...one day at a time so the risks outweighed the certain death I was walking towards. Obesity is a terminal illness but it is one we can do something about. Good luck to you.

If you research the stats, you'll find out that the stories you are hearing are....well, stories.

People tend to confuse bariatric surgeries. They hear of someone having terrible complications after bypass, then repeat it as a horrible banding-gone-awry tale.

Don't pay any attention to these stories. They aren't true. By the time you hit the OR, you've been so thoroughly evaluated that the odds of mishap are next to nil.

I agree, the Stories are not true or the people don't know enough detail to gossip about it. As for the stories about people who are as big as they ever were, the gossiper doesn't know if the patient ever got fills and such.

I can only tell you my own experience. I had no surgery complications. I feel great. I lost 100 pounds in the first year. I was much closer to health related complications being morbidly obese. My self esteem was in the gutter being morbidly obese. Getting banded was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

You can use anecdotal evidence to "prove" anything. Everyone hears about that one guy who. . . but no one really *knows* that guy. This is why science is based on population samples and not case studies.

Look at the real statistics. They're pretty clear that lap-band is about as safe of a surgery as you can have. Are you 100% guaranteed not to have any complications-- no. But the odds are WAYYYYY with you.

Thanks so much to all of you that posted. You are all right!! I tend to agree with all of you all. Maybe just feeling a little overwhelmed that all those stories came at me in one day. I am ready to start this new life of mine. There is a skinny girl in me and she wants out!!! I am so tired of the way I feel now and ready to start a active lighter life with my daughters. Which by the way both of them were delivered via c-section. I never heard the risk with that surgery but in my book was a much more complicated surgery.. Anyway thanks again.. A week from today is the big day!! I am ready!!

I think people want to tell you the bad stories because they want to make sure you know the risks. Like you've not thoroughly researched this stuff yourself! Or, they tell you bad things becasue they don't know enough about the LapBand life to tell you anything else. Ignorance on the subject, if you will. I told very few people before my surgery because I just didn't have the energy to deal with all the negativity. But now that I've had it, I'll tell anyone who asks. I'm still not shouting from the rooftops, but if they ask, I tell.

Good Luck to you. Stick to your gut feeling about this. Do your research and you'll make the right decision for you.

OMG!! I have not heard anything stories such as this one pertaining to the "Lap-Band". I do know about true "Gastric Bypass" stories where patient's have died from complications.... I've been working for Gastroenteroligist for almost 20yrs & with any surgery there are risk. Even with Bunion surgery there is a risk. It's sad to say, but hear-say is like a broke down chain letter. By the time the story hits your ears it's worsened a million times over. The Lap-Band is considered to be one of the safest weight reduction surgeries out there..... Now you listen here my New Lap-Band Buddy; you will do just fine with your surgery. Think positive, listen to your Doctors, & most of all listen to your body & pay attention to "Y O U!!!" The only horror stories out there are the "Negative People" who are not educated about the Lap-Band..... Good Luck/God Bless You, & Much Success on Your Journey to a healthier you..

You all are right!! I am ready to do this more than ever!! There always has to be a bad apple in the bunch right.. That day I just happened to get the whole bunch that was bad. But I am not going to focus on them because despite the negative I do have a lot of people that are for me and cheering me on.. PLUS my new friends on here. We are in this togather!!! Much success to all of you. Keep your eye on the prize...Skinny jeans!!! Ha Ha:lol:.. Thats so funny to even think about now...BUT we will get there!!!!

I know the statistics for the band are significantly better than they are for the bypass but I think people tend to lump them all together. The death rate for the band is about 1 in 2000...for bypass it's 1 in 250.

Yes, there is always a risk of death any time you go under anesthesia...but what are your chances of dying of some obesity related disease?

If you research the stats, you'll find out that the stories you are hearing are....well, stories.

People tend to confuse bariatric surgeries. They hear of someone having terrible complications after bypass, then repeat it as a horrible banding-gone-awry tale.

Don't pay any attention to these stories. They aren't true. By the time you hit the OR, you've been so thoroughly evaluated that the odds of mishap are next to nil.

Good point, I am not banded yet but have been the recipient of many rude and/or invasive questions or comments about our quadruplets, sometimes right in front of them (they are 3) and our 7-year-old.

It is amazing how easily people will confuse one procedure with another (bariatric or fertility).

I guess at the end of the day, people are ill-informed and just kinda dumb :puke:

Did you know you can get flesh eating bacteria from getting a pedicure, and possibly die from that? Doesn't seem to stop women from getting pedicures.

Any kind of surgery is a risk, I was scared and got cold feet at times as well, but I told myself if it is meant to be it will be, and I had faith in my higher power, who happens to be God, but for whatever is your higher power, have faith.

I know someone who has lapband. She and her husband had WLS together. He had bypass and she had banding. She was jealous as the weight just fell off of him, and she had to work at it. She told me a year ago that she would never recommend anyone get the band as all she can do is drink her calories and now she is an alcoholic. After doing my research I realized the band didn't fail her, she failed the band because she expected the weight to come off without effort. That is not the approach I wanted to take with my health.

I was fortunate enough not to have anyone do this to me, the only thing that came close is when a sub Doctor at my regular Cardiologist's office tried to talk me into going with Gastric Bypass instead of Lapband. According to him, people who get bypass tend to keep the weight off better than people who get Lapband. Hmmm, that is the direct OPPOSITE of a discussion I had with my Lapband Surgeon. He happens to do both bariatric surgeries and when we discussed why I decided to go with Lapband, he said he felt I was making the most wise decision as studies show that folks who get Lapband actually keep the weight off longer and are more successful. Add to that he says that the Lapband surgery is far safer than other bariatric surgeries. I trust his judgement far more than I do from a cardiologist who is not in the business or from people with horror stories.

I found out later that the surgeon this cardiologist mentioned to me happens to be within the same health system. Pppfffttt, sure explains a whole lot. Thank goodness that particular Doctor is no longer with the office and I only had to see him that one time.

No one else has ever tried to throw horror stories at me, although I did have a friend and my Mother at least express some concern until I spoke to them at length and put their minds at ease. Basically it all boiled down to me letting them know that I could either have this surgery and take a chance to open up a whole new life for myself and get healthy, or I could keep getting fatter and die from an obesity related disorder.

Try not to let the horror stories get you down, there are going to be horror stories no matter what decision you make in life. Do what is right for you and want you to know I wish you the very best in your journey.

I have decided not to pay attention to the stories. You have some haters and you have some that are seriously concerned. I too have told the ones I care about that its either this or die from other complications. Plus I am a firm believer that if it is my time to go I will go. You cant cheat death. God has my days numbered here on earth and if I die on the table then thats what He had in store for me. 4 more days for me. I will be glad to be on the other side of this writing and telling everyone they have nothing to worry about. Thanks again for all the encouraging words.