Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panniculectomy is it as painful to get as it is to pronounce?

What is your pain threshhold and howmuch did it hurt?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What is your pain threshhold and howmuch did it hurt?

• I have a low threshold for pain and the pain was intolerable
    • I have a low threshold for pain and the pain was manageable
    • I have a high threshold for pain and didn't feel a thing
    • I have a high threshold for pain and the pain was manageable
    • I have a high threshold for pain and the pain was intolerable
    • I am still in too much pain to even respond

Hi,

I'm scheduled for my panniculectomy on December 3rd and a little anxious about the pain.

How much does it actually hurt and for how long?

I have a low pain tolerance and didn't take but 3 pain pills and I didn't really need them!!!!! I am happy for you that you are scheduled for this.

Mimi

Thanks!!

It is very comforting.

I was expecting a lot of pain from the Lapband surgery and had none. Hopefully it will be a similar experience.

Good luck with your procedure, I am anxious to see how it goes!

Hi:

I had a full tt, not a panni. Where the muscles were tightened was one of the sorest part and I don't think you'll have that with the panni. It was alot more painful than the lapband, but so worth it!

Keep in mind that it is a big operation and you need to eat well, sleep well, and take it easy while you're recuperating. It's not a time to stress about your lack of exercising because you'll get back in the swing of things once your tummy is healed.

Best wishes to you. I hope to hear about your experience soon.

Sue

It's not a time to stress about your lack of exercising

Thanks. I have never been one to stress about not exercising. It is the not showering for 1 to 2 weeks that is going to kill me. I stink after a day :thumbup:

Hi:

I was allowed to shower on day #3 post-tummy tuck. I hope you don't have to wait two weeks. If so, there's always sponge baths and lots of deodorant :thumbup:.

Sue

My panni is scheduled for 10/13/10! Only a week to go! I am very interested in any info, too. Excited and nervous, ready to get it behind me.

Leigh

I don't understand the no shower for 2 wks...I was allowed to shower in 2 days!!!

Mimi

I consulted 3 different plastic surgeons and all 3 said no showering until the drains come out.

I had a full lower body lift and the pain was definitely manageable. I reacted to the morphine (made me feel queasy) so stopped that on day two and just took panadeine thereafter.

They reckon I have a high pain threshold (I guess I must have to have as many kids and tattoos as I do lol) but seriously, everyone said the pain was be soooo bad and it just wasn't.

I had a shower on day 3. They just taped and bagged my drains. :thumbup: But at worse, you can always sponge wash until your drains are out!

Hope all is well with you after your surgery let us know how you are doing !

I had a full abdominoplasty and the first 2 days it hurt alot but they gave great pain meds and you get through it and then it's smooth sailing. I still have 2 drains in and have the okay to shower. I have surgical glue for my incisions and I think that makes a difference. Good luck, you'll do great and it is soo worth it!!!

I had a full TT with muscle work done 4 months ago and I was actually quite surprised at how little pain was involved. I never actually had what I would call 'pain'. Yes, there were certainly a few days where I was in discomfort and it was a little tough to move around too much. My back was sore from hunching over, but it was definitely tolerable. My PS told me to stay on schedule with pain meds, especially for the first 3 or 4 day and I did, which I think probably helped a lot.

Like you, I had to wait until my drains came out before I could have ashower....so I waited until day 16. In the meantime I used a box of baby wipes/ wet cloth thingies....they worked well. And by day 4 I laid towels on the bed and got my hobby to set up a small table with a big pan of hot soapy Water and had a sponge bath. Even that made me feel (and smell) so much better. As I felt better the sponge bath became a daily thing.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you feel !!!

Don't mean to hijack your thread, Bob, but feel that this would be a comfy place for me to ask a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

History...banded June, 2008 and have been at goal (23lbs below original goal but OK with where I am at and so is doc) since Oct, 2008. At first I was "somewhat" satisfied with my hanging skin on my lower abdomen. I look good in my clothes but feel terrible naked or in underclothes....it hangs out the bottom (tmi). The farther out I get the more the skin seems to hang and bother me. While exercising/walking/exerting myself, the fold becomes icky and irritated.

This may seem silly but the problem I am having is with "deserving" to get this problem taken care of. It's almost like I am selling myself short of taking this last step of this journey. Make sense to any of you? As I stated, right after reaching goal I told myself I would be happy with whatever if I looked good in clothes. Now, since it seems to be getting in my way and physically and emotionally bothering me, I feel like I am giving into something that would be egotistical. Silly, I know. Anyone else feel this way?