Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice from a Bypass Patient

Listen up everyone, this is from my friend who just gained back 50 pounds after losing 150 from her Bypass operation. This is a real-time post since we are chatting right this second. She just joined Weight Watchers, and I've been telling her I'm considering getting the bypass. These are her words, so getting a bypass (for me) is currently out of the question. I realize I'm fickle on my decisions, but listen to what's going on at Weight Watchers RIGHT NOW:

Lisa, The woman at WW told me there are a lot of women at the meetings that had surgeries like ours. Women that have busted their staples and had to be rushed into ER for overeating again. You dont want to do that to yourself and neither do I. My emotional eating comes with a lot of psychological issues too and I need to take control of that. Its not going to take control of me so you gotta do the same. You are going to start this new year on the right foot Lisa. Your business is going to take off and you are going to look good doing it, inside and out. Besides once you start changing your eating habits you wont be as tired. Ive noticed a HUGE difference. Im not nearly as sluggish as I use to be. Dont do the surgery. The surgery is a quick fix and yes you'll lose the weight but you can gain it back. Look at me. WE need to learn how to eat properly and not be emotional eaters. I wonder if they have Overeaters anonymous around here? Ok I know you gotta work but we'll help each other ok?

*edited to remove context regarding "bypass causing loose skin" since any fast loss can do the same*

I agree with your friend.. there is no quick fix and if we never deal with the emotional side of things we are doomed to repeat our past. (*has a sudden urge to watch a Christmas Carol*) <<whispers>>Tonight you will be visited by 3 ghosts....! the first.. cravings for soda! the second.......:rolleyes:

(I would think with your luck with the band so far you would be running screaming from the mere thought of the more risky bypass!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ((hugs))

I also know some one who had the bypass and joined WW. She is doing great but boy, even in the beginning did she struggle. There is so much more to weight loss than just filling our bellies, thats for sure.

I've been researching wls for months. I personally want the gastric bypass, but my insurance will only cover the LapBand, which I am more than happy to have.

One thing that really bugs me, is the comment from your ww counselor saying that gastric bypass is a "quick fix". Granted there are people who have had the surgery and "it failed them." I'm sorry, but any weight loss surgery is a tool - not a cure all.

You can't have the surgery and think you can go back to your old eating habits. It takes a major change in attitude and desire on your part for it to be successful. IMHO, I feel that people who failed at wls didn't give it a chance, understand, or had the correct follow-up and support.

Yes, I have also talked with people who have had major complications due to gbs, and some who have gained some, if not all, their weight back. One interesting thing, I've never met one person who said they regret having the surgery.

Yes, I am a wls advocate of the hardest line. I've spoken with people who've had both gbs and LB. They are both major surgeries and they both carry risks. Granted, the gbs has more, but I personally am willing to take that chance. The advances in medicine has shown statistically that gbs is much safer than it used to be.

Make your decision carefully. Do the research and come to your own conclusions. Talk to people, talk to doctors. Talk to advocates, talk to people who are against it. Above all, get credible, verifiable information.

No matter what decision you make, it's going to affect you the rest of your life. Are you really prepared to make that life changing decision?

I could say so much here about GB and all the repercussions, but you probably wouldn't pay any heed to me. As an ER nurse for years I've seen these GB patients by the hundreds in the ER. You've never heard anyone that wouldn't do it again? I hate to tell you the stories I've heard about how they wish there had been an alternative. Not one of them wouldn't have preferred the lap banding had it been available years ago here in the states. I've seen some pretty horrible sites..from the massive hanging skin that needs to be surgically removed (a series of operations should take care of that), to people who never get far from the bathroom because everything runs right on through. Guess how much of your intestines are actually gone and not just rerouted. Then there is always the dumping syndrome which in itself is a major issue for these people, not to mention all the Vitamins they have to take for malabsorption.

You should be happy that you don't have to go through this. I'm guessing from your post your don't have a medical background, or I don't think you would have ventured out on a limb as far as you did. How many people exactly would have this surgery again in a heartbeat? The pouch can be easily stretched, and more so now that it is done laparoscopically, because actually they can't get the pouch quite as small. It is nothing to see the staples ripped out and wow another surgery which your dr. probably won't authorize.

You are talking MAJOR surgery for GB, so please study all your facts before you tell me about GB. I've spent to many years looking after people that opted for this surgery. Ask one of your friends that "would do it again" to show you their stomach and then see what you think.

OK, I probably won't change your mind, but then again this is your body so I guess you are free to think whatever great things you want to about GB. It is an absolutely last resort, or should be. Wake up Call!!

I could say so much here about GB and all the repercussions, but you probably wouldn't pay any heed to me. As an ER nurse for years I've seen these GB patients by the hundreds in the ER. You've never heard anyone that wouldn't do it again? I hate to tell you the stories I've heard about how they wish there had been an alternative. Not one of them wouldn't have preferred the lap banding had it been available years ago here in the states. I've seen some pretty horrible sites..from the massive hanging skin that needs to be surgically removed (a series of operations should take care of that), to people who never get far from the bathroom because everything runs right on through. Guess how much of your intestines are actually gone and not just rerouted. Then there is always the dumping syndrome which in itself is a major issue for these people, not to mention all the Vitamins they have to take for malabsorption.

You should be happy that you don't have to go through this. I'm guessing from your post your don't have a medical background, or I don't think you would have ventured out on a limb as far as you did. How many people exactly would have this surgery again in a heartbeat? The pouch can be easily stretched, and more so now that it is done laparoscopically, because actually they can't get the pouch quite as small. It is nothing to see the staples ripped out and wow another surgery which your dr. probably won't authorize.

You are talking MAJOR surgery for GB, so please study all your facts before you tell me about GB. I've spent to many years looking after people that opted for this surgery. Ask one of your friends that "would do it again" to show you their stomach and then see what you think.

OK, I probably won't change your mind, but then again this is your body so I guess you are free to think whatever great things you want to about GB. It is an absolutely last resort, or should be. Wake up Call!!

Hi Dody!

I do understand where your coming from, and no I don't have a medical background. As for being out on a limb - I do all the time! ;-)

As an ER nurse, I would think you are seeing the worst of the worst, only one side of the issue. I still attest that there are many more successful people who've had gbs than those who have had problems - and yes, I know there are issues with the surgery. There is a risk for any type of surgery.

Dumping syndrome, ah yes, I have heard of this very well. Okay, let's take a look at it. Dumping can come from almost anything from eating to much, to eating something extremely rich, to Water. Each person is different, as well as the foods they eat that cause dumping. It's an educational process to find the foods, and just how much of each food you can eat. Of course a food you eat today may not bother you, but will cause problems a week later. Yes, it's a gamble, but one I personally am willing to take.

I'm not challenging your statement, but I've never heard that laproscopic gbs won't create as small a pouch as open. I'll check into that. Not saying your wrong, just want to verify it. I also understand the potential is there to stretch the pouch but one would have to work at it, and be determined to stretch it out (unless of course, there are medical complications).

When people decide to have gbs, they need to know all the facts, including the loose skin and other "side effects." They need to understand exactly what they are walking into with their eyes wide open. I may be an advocate, but I will never say this is the answer for EVERYONE. Gastric bypass is NOT for everyone, anymore than LapBand is.

Follow-up and support is also critical. You can't do it alone. If I could lose the weight and keep it off myself, I wouldn't have to turn to weight loss surgery. After-care is so important, and I mean VERY important. If a person doesn't have this, their chances of success diminishes.

I tell you, I'd rather have the gbs and take vitimins the rest of my life, than have to take various medications caused by my obesity.

The bottom line is, this is a very hard, personal choice, and one needs to make an informed decision about it. You can't rush it. Yes, it is an absolute last resort. My "Wake Up Call" is realizing I can't do this alone, I need a tool that I can use to help me. Regardless if it's gbs or LapBand.

"There are risks with any surgery". This statement is true, but in lap banding your main concern is general anesthetic. It can be risky at anytime in any surgery, but the lap banding itself is not nearly as invasive as GB is. The risks in GB are not only from anesthetic, but much more involved.

I've seen the worse of the worse, but I also have a wonderful friend who had GB and has lots of problems, most of which come with the surgery, some that do not. She has excessive skin loss, and I think every GB patient should be entitled to having reconstructive surgery to remove the loose skin. Now if you never plan on anyone seeing you sans clothes it might not bother you, but I figure you would lose another 30 lbs. if this loose skin were removed.

If you have a choice I hope that first you will give lap banding a try, and if it isn't for you then it isn't, but you haven't gone and arranged your plumbing or done anything you can't change.

I didn't mean to come on so strong, but I do worry about people that opt first for gastric bypass. The band is a tool for sure, but people do lose weight on it if they are dedicated. You can screw up a GB real fast too.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in your decision and hope that you find happiness with it. :D

You know, opinions are like @$$holes, we've all got one...and MINE is that the LapBand has proven to be risky and HAS rearranged my innards, and that the DS patients (not RnY gastric bypass) who regain weight tend to "regain" 30 pounds max.

And the counselor at WW is full of it. My sister has just lost about 70 pounds at WW and Curves and has bags of skin hanging all over the place...and another hundred pounds to lose. I have no idea why people tend to believe WW counselors without any research to back up what they say...but they do.

"There are risks with any surgery". This statement is true, but in lap banding your main concern is general anesthetic. It can be risky at anytime in any surgery, but the lap banding itself is not nearly as invasive as GB is. The risks in GB are not only from anesthetic, but much more involved.

I've seen the worse of the worse, but I also have a wonderful friend who had GB and has lots of problems, most of which come with the surgery, some that do not. She has excessive skin loss, and I think every GB patient should be entitled to having reconstructive surgery to remove the loose skin. Now if you never plan on anyone seeing you sans clothes it might not bother you, but I figure you would lose another 30 lbs. if this loose skin were removed.

If you have a choice I hope that first you will give lap banding a try, and if it isn't for you then it isn't, but you haven't gone and arranged your plumbing or done anything you can't change.

I didn't mean to come on so strong, but I do worry about people that opt first for gastric bypass. The band is a tool for sure, but people do lose weight on it if they are dedicated. You can screw up a GB real fast too.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in your decision and hope that you find happiness with it. :D

Dody;

Your a sweetheart, and you never need to apologize for "coming on so strong." Your very passionate about your stand and I very much respect you for that. Your so right, it's a matter of choice, and people need to educate themselves before making a decision.

Honestly, I have no choice to go with the LapBand (because of insurance), and I'm fine with that. If it doesn't work FOR ME, I can always have it revised later.

Take care Dody - Blessings to you and your family this holiday season!

you sure have a great knack about getting people worried especially the erosion posts. keep up the great work.

Listen up everyone, this is from my friend who just gained back 50 pounds after losing 150 from her Bypass operation. This is a real-time post since we are chatting right this second. She just joined Weight Watchers, and I've been telling her I'm considering getting the bypass. These are her words, so getting a bypass (for me) is currently out of the question. I realize I'm fickle on my decisions, but listen to what's going on at Weight Watchers RIGHT NOW:

Lisa, The woman at WW told me there are a lot of women at the meetings that had surgeries like ours. Women that have busted their staples and had to be rushed into ER for overeating again. You dont want to do that to yourself and neither do I. My emotional eating comes with a lot of psychological issues too and I need to take control of that. Its not going to take control of me so you gotta do the same. You are going to start this new year on the right foot Lisa. Your business is going to take off and you are going to look good doing it, inside and out. Besides once you start changing your eating habits you wont be as tired. Ive noticed a HUGE difference. Im not nearly as sluggish as I use to be. Dont do the surgery. The counselor at WW says your skin will shrink with you. You wont end up with excess skin all over the place like the surgeries. The surgery is a quick fix and yes you'll lose the weight but you can gain it back. Look at me. WE need to learn how to eat properly and not be emotional eaters. I wonder if they have Overeaters anonymous around here? Ok I know you gotta work but we'll help each other ok?

JohnnyReno, I'm shocked at your sarcasm. Did you really say that I'm good at getting people worried? Holy cow, take a look around at the recent LBT erosions: Karen H., Francesca, Penni, Michelle, Karen, Diane, Donali, etc. I certainly hope I'm waking up a few people by sharing REAL information to help them make EDUCATED decisions. One of these prior bandsters now wears a lovely colostomy bag as an accessory (as of our last conversation.) That SHOULD worry people. It doesn't mean we'll all carry our human waste in plastic bags attached to ourselves or that we'll end up with 40 staples or a 7 inch open gash after band removal due to erosion, but everyone has the right to know what can and DOES happen to a percentage of bandsters who erode.

I'm not pro Band vs. Pro Bypass or vice versa. My band worked for a period of time, and now it's failing me. My friend's bypass helped her lose 150 pounds, but now it's failing her. The Band and the Bypass only work during the "Honeymoon period." Once the novelty has worn off, we're all on our own. Some people might be able to hold onto their new eating habits forever, but stats show that many, many people gain back most or all of their weight with either procedure. Did I say ALL? Nope. Did I say I'm against the bypass? Nope. Read again, I said I'm fickle and for now the bypass isn't an option for me.

Both procedures are risky. Neither are better. They both SUCK. The band has it's benefits and downfalls just like the bypass. The band has a lifetime of maintenance, whereas the Bypass is pretty much a done deal. The beauty of the band is that it's removable, so I'm considering having mine removed since it's not working for me. Not so easy if I have my intestines rewired.

If anyone honestly "thinks" you're mind will miraculously work differently just because you had bariatric surgery, you better take a longer look in the mirror. If you think your mind is that powerful than walk away from the surgeon and lose the weight on your own by simply making that huge decision to change. Why cut when you have the abilty to make such a powerful decision? The human mind (according to high priced pedigreed psychologists) is not designed to withstand long periods of willpower. Sure, some of us get lucky, but if it was so easy, why do so many people lose the willpower and gain even 30 pounds back, let alone all the weight?

We come here to research, share and gather information. I pass on my personal experiences and experiences from people I know personally. The Band has done wonders for me, but now I'm gaining weight back. The Bypass has done wonders for countless people in my personal life who have gained back all or almost all their weight.

Since having WLS, I've run into about 8 miserable bypass patients who wish they'd never done it. I've met 2 that are thrilled but only after several corrective procedures and a year of being deathly ill. I was originally pre-approved for the bypass, but my good friend, a radiologist, cried and begged me not to do it. He said he sees bypass patients daily who live in misery, constantly in his lab having tests that never get resolved. So I chose the Band, and now my friends are all eroding, and one almost died. You can't say one is better than the other - WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY SUCKS. Being fat sucks. food is evil.

The entire meaning of this post is that WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY is not a quick fix or a cure. It's just a tiny tool, and unless we're able, not "willing" to let go of all our food obsessions mentally, than NO weight loss procedure will ever help us. Name a smoker who quit smoking and never craved another cigarette. Huh? Sure, maybe some have quit, but ask them if they crave smoke. They'll always crave it. Food is even worse because we have to eat to survive.

I take everything I read and hear with a grain of salt and was simply passing along something my bypass friend shared with me. If it's offensive, read another post.

I agree that any fast weight loss will cause sagging skin. My friend went on a green bean diet and had yards of loose skin surgically removed, so I edited that part out of my original post. No need to get nasty.

Whew! Lots of passion in that post. :D

I have to disagree on several points. Weight loss surgery doesn't suck. food is not evil. And I know lots of ex-smokers who really don't crave tobacco anymore (me, for one). All of your friends are not eroding, though I'm sure it can seem that way. And what percentage of bandsters end up with a colostomy bag? It's probably infinitesimal, if that.

Your band isn't failing you, it's not adjusted properly. Through no fault of yours it's been unable to be properly maintained, which is not the band's fault either. One way or another, though, I truly hope you're able to make peace with that little piece of silicone inside you, Lisa, and soon. You deserve it.

I'm another who quit smoking, and doesn't crave a cigerette. I can't stand the smell anymore to be quite honest. I also LOVE my band. food is not evil, you just have an unhealthy relationshop with food. I don't love food anymore...i don't hate it. It is what it is, an energy source.

My life is SOOOO much better since the band, even if i have to have it removed next month, i would heal up and be rebanded. Since being banded i spend sooo much more time living and not worrying about food.

I'm sorry you have so much emotions going on. Its hard not an easy thing to deal with when things aren't going the way you planned, but i do hope you find peace with your situation.

...I have no idea why people tend to believe WW counselors without any research to back up what they say...but they do.

You are so right about that. It has been my experience that a lot of the local WW counselors are merely people who were successful with the WW program, and thusly feel that they are experts in the weight-loss arena, with little or no dietary or psychological formal education.

This is probably not true with all wwatchers motivators, but has been my experience in the past. Yet they and JC are the end all be all of diet plans... if they say it, it must be true... funny how they keep changing what they say... carb diet...no...phen-phen...no... high Protein... no...south beach...no...

I am a Registered Nurse; I have a Baccalaureate Degree in the science of nursing. I am experienced, and formally educated in both physiological, and psychological sciences, but I am NOT a weight-loss expert. I am not a lapband expert. I have lost weight, and I am lapbanded, but I do not specialize in these fields, therefore, my education in these fields comes mostly from life experience.

So like all those other non-experts who advise you, keep that in mind.

There may be many weightloss chain counselors out there who are trained professionals, but we need to know which ones they are. Just please carefully consider your sources. Just cause something is said, posted on the net, or written, don't necessarily make it so... ya know?

you sure have a great knack about getting people worried especially the erosion posts. keep up the great work.

I may not agree with everything Lisa posts, but I'm going to defend her right to speak her mind and seek support. Nobody should be personally attacked like this. Go ahead and think snarky thoughts if you like, but keep them to yourself. If you find Lisa's threads alarmist, stop reading them. If she is feeling upset, she has every right to post her worries. Sounding off on Lapband issues and getting support is, after all, the point of LBT.