Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SLIPPED BAND...It is a BIG DEAL!

A slipped band absolutely is a big deal! My band slipped after 15 months and I had surgery last month. When it slipped it occluded the opening and I couldn't keep anything down. I have never been so sick in my life. Because I could keep nothing down I had to go thourgh the ER and be admittied for surgery in the morning. The surgery took about 45 minutes and it went well. I was discharged after about 24 hours of first walking into the hospital.

My insurance denied payment so that made me a self-pay and I got my hospital bill this week. It's $28' date='000! And that doesn't inlcude the surgeon's fees, the anesthesiologist's fees or the radiologist's fees. I also got a statement in the mail saying that if my insurance had paid, the hospital would have settled for $1998.00 but since they didn't pay, I am responsible for the entire $28,000. This is because my insurance company has a contract with the hospital and I don't.

I was barely overweight enough to have the lapband with a BMI of 30. I have reached my goal weight and am very thankful for my band. But if you figure I have lost 54 pounds and after I get all the bills from the revision surgery that will put me at nearly $50,000 spent on the band and just under $1,000 a pound.

So the band slipping IS a big deal, not only because it jeopardizes your health until it is fixed but because it can leave you financially devastated.[/quote']

I'm with Emjay! I am self pay and my hospital and surgeons fees etc etc came to about $20,000.

I was promised a reduced fee for the anesthetic bill cos I was self pay but when it arrived, it was $6300. I absolutely could not afford that and seeing I was told it would be around 2 to 3 grand I chased it up.

It had nothing to do with my surgeons office so I had to deal with the hospital billing department directly. After careful consideration of what I had payed and that I had no insurance, It was reduce to $1,600. I am stoked. I didn't argue or b***h at them, that's just what they came up with. I don't know if I was just lucky or what but its definitely worth a try! Its all so expensive!

I am so sorry that you had to go through such a traumatic ordeal with your slipped band. Hopefully you will be on your way to recovery and good as new. I know exactly what you are saying about people telling you that is no big deal for a slipped band. The chat forum on here has some really misinformed people that think they are doctors and are not as supportive as we would expect from them. I hope and pray that since my 2 year bandiversary is coming up that I never had to go through that. I never had a fill and hope that maybe that could be what saves me from such a horrible experience like you just had. Have a speedy recovery and good luck.

A flu ( influenza) shot will not protect you from an intestinal virus or food borne illness.

This may be more information I need to share, and I certainly DO NOT endorse or recommend this to anyone....

We travel a lot...many times outside the country....

I am always afraid I will get food poisoning or some bug....and fear uncontrollable vomiting....

So I carry a syringe with a large bore needle with me when I travel to remove the saline from my band in an emergency.

Let's just say I am more than qualified to do this, and If you think you are, you may want to speak with your Dr. about it....

Also I should say my port sticks out there under a thin layer of skin having no belly fat....a blind man could do it with one hand. tied behind his back.......

A slipped bad is a BIG deal! I have had to have Fluid removed once and 1 1/2 years later have a revision. I am better since, but if the revision didn't work, it would have had to be replaced! Best wishes to you! Karen

Whoa...

I can't believe that insurance won't cover a slipped band procedure. I never really inquired about this before my surgery, but reading about it is really scaring me