Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SLOW Weight LOSS

Guest Angela_wls

Guest Angela_wls

I was wondering if anyone else had a SLOW and maybe sometime a GAIN on weight loss in their first 2 months? I am at 31lbs lost(going up and down) and 30inches lost.. But im 2 months post op.. I know that you should only lose 2 lbs a week but I was also 315lbs.. I figured I would lose more in the begining..

Angela

Angela -

If you are disappointed now, I fear for your state of mind in the future. 15 pounds a MONTH!! And you're disappointed?!?!

This is very fast weightloss, my dear. If you are lucky, you will AVERAGE 10 pounds a month. Sometimes it will be less, sometimes it will be more.

I have been averaging 6.5 pounds a month. Some months I haven't lost at all, or very little. Other months catch me up some. I pretty much do the same thing all the time, so I take this as the natural course of things.

Try not to be so hung up on the scale (and recognize fabulous loss when you see it!!!:rolleyes: ). This is NOT a diet - this is for the long haul. This is not something you are going to do for 6 months, or a year. This is now your LIFE.

Congrats on 30 pounds in 2 months!!! Whoo hooo!

Guest Angela_wls

Thank you so much.. I know.. Im not going to get hung up on this.. I just get moody once in a while...

Thanks for the support..

Angela

Have you had a fill yet? This is something key for all new post-ops to know: ANY WEIGHT LOSS BEFORE YOUR FIRST FILL SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A BONUS.

Before my first fill at 8 weeks post-op, I regained five pounds of what I lost in the first few weeks post-op. Naturally, I was alarmed! But once I reached the right fill level, that regained weight came right off and I've been losing pretty steadily ever since.

Just recently I decided I need another fill, because my weight loss has been verrry sluggish lately. So, if you're having regain, it may be time for you to talk to your doc about (another) fill.

Hang in there. The band takes some patience, but you'll get that weight off.

Guest Angela_wls

I already had my first fill.. It was a 2cc fill.. I have restriction.. I just havent been losing weight.. Only inches.. I am going to just throw away the scale... lol

Thanks for your info..

Angela

Angela,

I just had my first fill last Monday and have only lost about 2lbs...I'm pre-period though so I'm hoping once I get it today some of the Water weight will fall off...

However, my Mom took measurements after I had lost the bulk of my weight post surgery in the first few weeks...wouldn't you know even though my scale didn't change much I had lost 9.75 inches...that's a big change!

I like what Donali said "This is your life" We are in it for the long haul...sure I wanted to lost 20lbs this month but I'm happy the scale isn't moving up...think of all of us who would gain over the holidays...now aren't you glad your banded?

Good Luck!

hi angela

i have been a pretty slow loser partly in fact to needing 3.6 cc to get restriction!!!! it is hard to stay on track when you can eat 1-2 cups of food!!!! the awsome part is i have not regained a pound!!! of course i only weigh every couple of weeks because i dont want the diisappiontment of seeing 1 or 2 pounds coming back on and off and on and off!

like donali said 'this is for life' - shes full of great advice!!!

Guest Angela_wls

Thanks for all the support..

Yes I had a fill..... I had a 2cc fill. I think most of the slow weight loss is because I still eat almost everything I could eat before but limited amounts.. I just feel if I could have dieted i wouldnt have gotten the band... Any advice for me on that..

Angela

Hi Angela,

You shouldn't feel so discouraged after just a month or so after surgery. It sounds like you are doing really good. I had my surgery on Aug. 6 and lost 15lbs but gained every lb back. I have had 2 fills all of which were unsuccessful. I think I have about 3cc's in an 11cc band. That's not much when the band can hold up to 9.75cc's. I go for my 3rd fill tomorrow and I'm passed getting excited about fills. Me and my sister and another girl are all having the same problem with our big bands--getting them filled correctly. Our fill Doctor is still learning and we are the guinea pigs. We would have thought by Dec. - 4months after surgery- we would have AT LEAST lost 25lbs. We have met women who have the same band and were properly filled who lost their weight and are now at their goal weight and used the band not a diet to lose it... if that makes since... in other words they both said that they let the band work for them, they ate what they wanted and still lost 95lbs and 105lbs. I believe the fill is the key... and if you don't get a proper fill you won't lose, unless you watch everything you eat... why get the band then? But of course you cannot drink milkshakes all the time either. You have to be somewhat smart about it.

Well, that's my 2cents worth. Good Luck to you and hang in there!

Angela -

I know this is my problem, but I am still disturbed that you are calling 30 pounds in two months slow.

More disturbing to me than that are those who seem to concur...

I will ask this questions again:

How much weight does anyone REALLY think they can lose a month in a safe and healthy way? Seriously? Unless you just cut it off, weight is "lost" via body excretions: fecal matter, skin and breath.

If a pound every two days isn't FAST, what do you call fast? Would you be satisfied at a pound a day? Two pounds a day? What sounds unreasonable to you? I gotta know!

Please, enlighten me! Am I supposed to be disappointed because I have "only" lost 71 pounds in 329 days - that's an average of .2158 pounds a day. Does anyone call 71 pounds lost "only" (regardless of the amount of time it took)?

Okay, sorry, rant off... But seriously, what are your expectations?

Guest Angela_wls

Hey there.. I am not upset about only losing 30lbs. I was at first but, After talking to all of you and starting to understand more about the weight loss with the band and that inches come off first then pounds im understanding it more. I am now at 33lbs and over 30 inch lost. I'm very happy with this loss.. I'm very excited about where im going and what the band has done for me. Thanks for all your advice and also congrats on the 71lbs.. thats awesome

Angela