Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not keeping food or liquid down after surgery! Someone tell me it will be worth it!

This absolutely terrifies me. Plus on top of that, you aren't suppose to vomit because it could cause problems with the band! Ahhhhh

Is this only temporary? Will I ever be able to eat or drink normal?

I haven't been banded yet, but I have so many questions! I was laying in bed last night and I was thinking about all the things you guys have posted both good and bad... And I honestly chickened out. I could not picture myself drinking only liquids, or not eating all those foods that caused me to be where I am today. I woke up this morning and said, "what the heck was I thinking? I NEED this."

somebody please reassure me that my life will be normal after surgery, and all of the hunger and pain will be worth it!

:rolleyes2:))

Of course it will be worth it. And you will be able to keep liquid and food down. You will start with liquid and progress. Different people progress at different speeds, I was eating solids 2 weeks after my surgery because my swelling had gone down and I was hungry, so my Doc said eat but be careful. I eat chicken, turkey, eggs, etc. I'm not eating bread, Pasta, or rice but not so much because I "can't" but because these are some of my "trigger foods" and I will binge and then throw up. That's the key if you overeat you will get sick. If you stick to just enough to be full you will do fine. About 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup, I know that sounds so small but you'll be amazed how satisfied you will be with that amount. Just remember drink and eat slowly and pay attention to what your stomach is telling you not what your brain is saying. Your brain will work against you for a while but I'm now 38 days out and my brain is starting to catch up.

You'll be fine and it is totally worth it! I realized don't read these boards too much, or read them and take from them what will work for you.

I haven't had any problems with eating anything I want...all with good moderation. Now that I've had 2 filles, I do need to watch what I eat. Ex, I notice I don't do too well on bread. I have taken small bites of it, and I'm ok, but I wouldn't consider having a sandwich. I do fine with pastas and rice, but just watch the amount I eat. I've even had slices of cheesecake and have still lost weight!

I eat real food, not Protein shakes (except for fill time or for Breakfast when I choose to).

Besides one episode, where I ate too much ice cream only 2 wks post op and dry retched, I've never had an episode of getting truly stuck or even PB'g.

I do eat smaller portions, and start out with a small plate or bowl. I've actually been using my toddlers plates/bowls which has really helped me with Portion Control.

I was scared too at first, but I am so glad I stuck it out and did it. I feel so good, and fitting into smaller clothes sizes is awesome!

Stick to your surgeons guidelines and listen to his rules and you will be fine.

I had my surgery three months ago and I haven't thrown up once.

I'm not eating bread, Pasta, or rice but not so much because I "can't" but because these are some of my "trigger foods" and I will binge and then throw up.

That's been my problem EXACTLY! I was able to hold down some solids in week 2 as well. However, when I have tried to venture out a bit, I have found myself experimenting with my trigger foods and have wound up getting sick as well - my one trigger was a slice of pizza. It was just too heavy and doughy (even though I barely made a dent in it) and I got sick. It's a natural process of learning what and how to eat all over again. I'll tell you one thing, I haven't touched pizza, nor even thought of it, since!

Hi! I am getting my band on October 18th. I too got scared after reading the negative posts on this site and there are many. Someone advised me to pass over those posts and try to stick to the positive unless you are having a problem. I have done that and now I am nothing but excited!! Good luck and really think about reconsidering. Every one of my Drs. has been a cheerleader for me to have this done. They all say it will be life changing so I will let you know..