Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbee...considering the band

Hi all,

I am new here. I have just started to consider the lap band. Truth be told I have thought about it many times but fear and lack of information held me back from even looking into it...meanwhile I gained 50 more pounds in the last 12 years despite my extreme efforts to lose weight. Three years ago I was diagnosed and finally started to be treated for hypothyroidism and ever since then it seems even harder than ever to lose weight. I followed my doctors "weightloss advice" and recommended diets and exercise and nothing worked...until I decided to start restricting my calories down to 900 to 1200 a day and that along with exercise is finally helping me lose. The problem of course is that I am hungry when I restrict calories that much which is ok for short term but will eventually sabotage me.

I asked my MD today at my annual exam what she thought of the lapband surgery and she basically told me that she can't advise me on it, she can't make the decision for me and that people can die from it and I better be sure that I understand all the risks involved. That it can help people lose weight but it needs to be a last resort. To be honest she kind of took the wind out of my sails and I kind of felt put off that she didn't even want to discuss it. She wrote me the name and number of the bariatric surgeons in the area and said I had to talk to them. I was hoping for a medical opinion from someone who wasn't trying to "sell me on it" to be quite honest. An opinion one way or another would have been nice.

Anyway...I have yet to find anything that sounds like a true horror story in all of my research and I am thinking about going to the seminar they give monthly.

Any words of wisdom...things to ask...etc would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome!

Any surgery has risks. So does obesity. Only you can decide if the risk of surgery is worth the trade off of the advatage of having the band help you to fight off the hunger and be satisfied with less food.

Find out if the bariatric surgeons have support groups where you can speak to patients who have had the procedure done. A good surgeon will not try to sell you on a surgery, but will be wanting to help you to improve your health.

Go to more than one seminar. During the seminar the surgeon should tell you what the risks are. He or she should fully explain possible complications. Take notes. Write down questions. There should be a question/answer session during the seminar.

Also, ask questions here. There is a lot of knowledge here. Along with lots of experience.

Best wishes!

You are certainly right about the risks. Staying the way I am is not an option as I already know I will end up with diabetes and possibly heart disease like my mother and her sisters.

I have had several surgeries in my lifetime with no bad effects from being under, so I don't suppose I am too worried about that.

I am certainly on a fact finding mission. I want to know all I can know about the realistic effects, good and bad.

So far I have only read about one person (on another site) who had a bad experience and that seemed because he/she was unable or unwilling to follow the recommended diet.

It seems like a worthwhile investment in my health from what I have learned so far and my insurance does cover it, presuming they approve me.

I want to get the process started since it could be months of evaluations etc. but am worried about having to pay too much out of pocket all at once. (my insurance has a 2600 deductible and 1000 fee for bariatric surgery) I guess I will just have to talk to the surgical team and ask some questions. :thumbup:

Insurance companies do vary. You might be able to find someone here who has the same insurance as you and can give you some insight.

There are people who have complications with the band. This site has a complications forum you might want to peruse. The band makers' web-sites also have information about complications.

Banded life is not all moonbeams and roses. Getting food stuck is no fun. Being over-filled is no fun. An over-fill is temporary, but miserable, fixed by a trip to your doctor to adjust the fill level. Erosions occur, slippages occur. They are rare, but they happen.

Getting food stuck is a constant threat. You must always be aware of what you are eating, take small bites, and chew very well. Even doing these things does not guarantee you won't get stuck. Whenever I eat in a group, I am concerned that I will get stuck and not be able to get away without causing a show. It hasn't happened yet, it's been over 2 1/2 years.

There might be some foods you will never be able to eat without getting stuck. I have said good-bye to Bagels and breast meat chicken.

But, the pros far outweigh these cons for me. I am off blood pressure meds, my cholesterol is normal, my BMI is normal, my blood sugar is still slightly elevated, but has not proceeded to diabetes. I went from a tight size 18W to a size 10.

I don't regret my decision. Keep posting and reading. There is lots of information here!

A lot of lap band surgeons have an information session for the public periodically where they will provide you with all the information you need. I don't know where you live, but its worth looking in to.

I am in Flagstaff, AZ and the surgeons do have a monthly seminar. I just missed the September one and have to wait until October. I wish my husband could go with me but with his schedule he just can't. He is already kind of pushing for this so I know I have his support even if he can't attend.

I have a friend who is a nurse at the hospital here and she says the bariatric team rocks...so I have that positive feedback. She also has a co-worker who is a nurse who had it done and lost a lot of weight. She is all for the procedure as a tool to help you take control of a part of life that is out of balance. I know she will be a real source of support and strength as well. Honestly m biggest hurdle is the financial aspect because it's going to cost me $3600 even if my insurance does cover it, that's barring any other issues that might turn out not to be covered. It feels selfish, but I have to remind myself how much more money I could spend on medical over time if I were to continue to neglect myself the way that I have.

I also have started working out 4 days a week which has me feeling much more energetic. I am hoping that I can set some good habits into place even before surgery so that I can keep up the momentum and not stall out and give up like I have so many times before.

Hey, its your life.

Its worth the $3600.

I don't have insurance so I was a self pay. It cost me over $15,000 which I am still paying off. But I don't regret it for a second.

Also, you will save a ton of money on food.

Wow, I am surprised that your doctor responded like that. When I ask my PCP, she was very informative and said she would forward test on to the clinic, I also have a friend who is a physician, she was happy for me and told me that she thought I would succeed.

The bariatric practice I choose has a strict program that you have to complete before being considered for the procedure. Seminars, classes, tests, even had to attend a support group before my paperwork was submitted.

I looked at all the pros and cons and decided that I was ready to take charge of my life and not let food rule my life.

Take your time attend some classes, maybe attend a support group, get all the facts. Most of all dump your Doc, they don't seem to be very supportive. Best wishes to you and your decisions.

Cocobean & Mariasha...You are both so right...this IS my life....and it could be so much better. How can I put a price on that. :wub: Why should it be easier to pay for a car than for myself??? :thumbup:

I love reading how supportive everyone is on this site. I am thinking about calling the insurance company myself, but I found all of their requirements in black and white and I meet all of them, except for the psych evals that will be done once I get started with the process.

Looking forward to the next surgery info seminar on Oct 12th. :)

Wow, I am surprised that your doctor responded like that. When I ask my PCP, she was very informative and said she would forward test on to the clinic, I also have a friend who is a physician, she was happy for me and told me that she thought I would succeed.

The bariatric practice I choose has a strict program that you have to complete before being considered for the procedure. Seminars, classes, tests, even had to attend a support group before my paperwork was submitted.

I looked at all the pros and cons and decided that I was ready to take charge of my life and not let food rule my life.

Take your time attend some classes, maybe attend a support group, get all the facts. Most of all dump your Doc, they don't seem to be very supportive. Best wishes to you and your decisions.

That was my reaction too.:thumbup: I have been happy with her until now. She just basically let me know that she has never had to struggle with her weight and couldn't possibly understand what I have been going through. She kind of made my dh feel the same way when he asked her about getting phentermine because it helped him a ton before he gave up on it...she told him there was no way she would prescribe it and brushed him off telling him to not eat fast food and to exercise. :wink2:This is a man who is on his feet at work for 8 hrs a day 6 days a week moving the whole time...sure he could use a good cardio workout now and then but he never went back to her after that.

Perhaps I will ask the bariatric team or my nurse friend if they can recommend someone better.

Cocobean & Mariasha...You are both so right...this IS my life....and it could be so much better. How can I put a price on that. :thumbdown: Why should it be easier to pay for a car than for myself??? :rolleyes2:

I love reading how supportive everyone is on this site. I am thinking about calling the insurance company myself, but I found all of their requirements in black and white and I meet all of them, except for the psych evals that will be done once I get started with the process.

Looking forward to the next surgery info seminar on Oct 12th. :thumbdown:

Good for you! You'll do great. Keep us updated with your progress!

HI,,everyone is different, but for me, I could not be more pleased with my surgery.. i was banded on Apr 28th and have lost exactly 60 pounds so far. I take much less meds and feel wonderful.. My only regret is that I didnt do it sooner.

That is so great! Thanks for all the responses. I am looking forward to taking the next steps into finding out all I can. :smile2:

good luck newbee im also considering it...my seminar is oct 13th......im in cali....

Hi! I just had my surgery yesterday, I am so excited to be on this journey. I was able to take weight off quickly with low carb but as soon as I ate ANY carbs it was right back on plus more, until it got to this point...my process moved VERY fast. I attended the seminar on Oct 16 and had surgery Sept 22. They submitted my paperwork to BC BS and within 2 days I had approval! It moved so fast it was almost scary. My co pays were very limited ($5 for lab $10 for xray $20 for psych $30 for an EGD and $10 for my PCP visit) My PCP was a little apprehensive but when I laid it out to him that I was not here for his personal opinion but for a medical release for surgery he realized that I was doing what I felt was best and now has been wonderful.

My best friend is going through the process now and will be banded hopefully next month. It really came down to doing what I needed to do for myself, I wish you the absolute best in your decision.

If there were other tools that worked this well then I would have maybe reconsidered, I do not regret it even the day after. Had a tough night last night but I did not take any pain meds, I took some today, have been out walking and am feeling pretty good. Pre-op diet for me was 10 days, I followed it very strictly and lost 13 pounds in those 10 days. I know I can do this - I have to do this. I not only want to be around for my family I want to be an active part of their life. Can't wait to play with my son and not have sore knees from walking or playing. My husband and three kids are very supportive and that is the most important because it is not just changes for me it is for them too.

I wish you the best this board has a TON of great insight..I was on it for months before going to a seminar, it gave me the encouragement I needed to move forward and to not be embarrassed with my decision. Good luck!!