Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't know what to do...

I have my 1st app with my surgon wed the 15th and I am going insane waiting... I hat to wait and this is killing me... No pun intended... I don't know what to expect adn how long things will take.. My insurance will no longer cover the Lapband after the 31st of Dec. so i am like rushing to get things on the ball, and its not going fast enough.. for me..lol Can anyone tell me what all the Psy is about and how long it took for insurance approval from UHC? I have the weight thing done the 6mth is done Dr, list are all done now just waiting to see surgon and the other 2... Help going crazy with anticipation and anxiety...lol Thanks :smile:

Now you've got me stressed.. I'm far behind you I have my seminar to make the appointment next week. I have UHC also thru my hubby's job Union Pacific.. I hope I make the cut too.. I'm sure since your surgeons office knows the deadline they will work with you..

My hubbies is through the prison... I did my seminar and my support group this week... Had to drive 2 hrs away both nights... same place actually.. LOL talk about a long trip. I am just a stressor... My husband keeps telling me not to worry , though thats like telling the earth to quit spinning...Not going to happen...lol I wish you the best and where are you going, I mean do you already have a surgon picked? Let me know and keep in touch... Best of luck adn I didn't mean to worry you...Sorry

I totally understand the seminar is 1 1/2 hours from my home so I'll be traveling also. When your passionate about something it's hard not to worry. This surgery is more than i have to pay so I just hope we both make the cut..

I have my 1st app with my surgon wed the 15th and I am going insane waiting... I hat to wait and this is killing me... No pun intended... I don't know what to expect adn how long things will take.. My insurance will no longer cover the LAP-BAND® after the 31st of Dec. so i am like rushing to get things on the ball, and its not going fast enough.. for me..lol Can anyone tell me what all the Psy is about and how long it took for insurance approval from UHC? I have the weight thing done the 6mth is done Dr, list are all done now just waiting to see surgon and the other 2... Help going crazy with anticipation and anxiety...lol Thanks :smile:

I told my surgeons office that my husbands insurance would most likely be changing so they were super fast scheduling me!!!

How did you visit everyone before you visited teh surgon?? I meet with him wed mornign and I am freaking about all the visits nad how long I will have to wait... I was wondering why you visited your PCP 1st then the nut... How did you now what all you had to have from each???

This is how my experience so far as been -

Went and saw the surgeon's team for an unofficial weigh in and measuring (just for my knowledge) and while I was there, one of the ladies printed out a sheet of people who do the psych eval and some nutritionist that they all work with. Lucky for me there was a woman who was both a psychologist and a nutritionist so I was able to call and make an appointment with her for both tests.

So just inform your surgeon's staff you are working on a short amount of time and everything should be fine. From what I've seen, most people go from starting the process to being banded within 2 months. (Unless your insurance requires a diet or you're required to lose a % of weight beforehand.)

Just my two cents.

The ins. said I had to be on a 6mth weight loss plan Though I did that with my PCP... The ins said it had to be within the last yr and I just ended it in aug... I think im good with that, I meet for my initial cons. wed not the surgon...my bad.. I am so mixed up... I hope I can get this I am so tired of losing weight just to gain more back and my son I believe had gotten my genes instead of his dads... I want to show him how to live healthier and have a good life.. Not just for him though for me too.. I want to do more adn i am counting on tehis surgery to HELP me have a better life and give my family everything they deserve in a mother and a wife...

Thanks to all Jennifer

I have my 1st app with my surgon wed the 15th and I am going insane waiting... I hat to wait and this is killing me... No pun intended... I don't know what to expect adn how long things will take.. My insurance will no longer cover the LAP-BAND® after the 31st of Dec. so i am like rushing to get things on the ball, and its not going fast enough.. for me..lol Can anyone tell me what all the Psy is about and how long it took for insurance approval from UHC? I have the weight thing done the 6mth is done Dr, list are all done now just waiting to see surgon and the other 2... Help going crazy with anticipation and anxiety...lol Thanks :smile:

The Psych eval is probably the same for everyone (I'm a psychologist). You need a "bariatric eval", which typically includes an interview plus a psych test like the MMPI (it's a true-false test) or something similar. Not every psychologist does these eva;s, but your surgeon's office probably has a few they can recommend. I know for me, my surgeon's rec wasn't in my insurance plan, so I called around to my covered providers and just asked until I found someone who did bariatric surgery evals. You might be able to get this referral from the nurses or office staff at your surgeon's.

A general note about psych evals-- don't be afraid of them. I'll tell you that about the only time I've seen people get in trouble with the psych eval is when they get anxious and try to present themselves as super perfect-- a trained psychologist doesn't expect or believe super perfection and you're just fine if you're relaxed and honest.

I called my insurance up and spoke with them as to their criteria. Called the surgeon's office spoke with the staff and started to set up appointments that were required (some may have to be found doing a search [ask for a list from the office staff]) set up the appointments and let it all fall into place.

I was lucky, the surgeon that I chose is a center of excellence and his office had everything and everyone that I needed so the only thing that I had to do was to make the appointments and show up. Once I had completed the required meetings the request was sent to my Insurance company. I then called the insurance company and spoke with the nurse reveiwer who actually approved me within a week (I think she just wanted to get rid of me). :thumbup:

Something tells me the Dr will bump anyone in your way if possiable.

The place i'm having mine done is also a place of excellence... had to be for the insurance... I just need to chill out cause i'm gonna get overwhelmed and end up saying screw it... Thats me... unfortunatly. I am a very tender hearted persn or emotiona person... however you want to say it, I will prob cry at the psy meeting...lol What all do they ask?? Just about weight issues or what? Tthanks to all who have responded and i also wish you al the best of luck with ur journey... Jennifer

Just wanted to ask who your surgeon is. I'm in St. Charles, MO and I saw you were from MO. Just curious!! :thumbup:

Dr. John Price out of K.C. I to noticed we are about the same age too... cool huh...