Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweets....ever okay?

It took me about three months to feel safe at trying sweets because that is my addiction. I am happy to report that I have not lost my mind with anything. I even got nauseous on ice cream so I do stick to frozen yogurt. I don't eat it daily. I don't eat a lot. It seems that I mostly eat a dab of something during special occasions...like weddings, work potluck, birthday party, etc. I DO make sure I've gotten my Protein in so honestly, there isn't much room but because I'm not eating sweets 3 and 4 times daily, it really is a treat now. Plus, I'm not gonna lie...I'm diggin my 60 pound weight loss and don't wanna go back.

Very good advice here.

I think everyone has to find what works best for them and it seems that most posters here have figured out what works best for them.

I was looking at a vid on Youtube yesterday where a Vlogger was saying that she didn't regret her band but in actuality it seemed she did because she was saying that you have to think very hard before doing it because you can never have a drink again, you can never have sweets again, you can never chew gum again, you can never drink from a straw again and on and on.

I chose the band because I did not want to be severely restricted for the rest of my life.

I do plan on doing all of those things again within reason and with restriction.

I'm not much of a sweet eater but I know one day I will crave a warm cookie or a good piece of cake or a nice cocktail and I will have them and enjoy them.

The only "sweet" that I allow myself is the Edy's no sugar added fruit bars. They're only 25 calories and have soo much flavor!. Other than that, I avoid the others. I've also avoided all breads, crackers, popcorn, potato chips, etc...snack foods aren't appropriate for my lifestyle and where I want to be.

We are all different, I had a serious food addiction that I'm learning to control so it's best that I don't eat "trigger" foods. However, my story isn't the same as everyone else. Do what's best for your lifestyle and good luck!

Rebecca

I think one of the crueler ironies is with my band, many of the worst foods go down so easier. The healthier foods I have to be careful of (ie veggies, chicken, meat, etc.)

"Sweets" do more damage than just the high calorie content. They also spike your blood sugar and send your hunger/cravings out of control. For me (as I cant speak for anyone else), out of control hunger is very dangerous. I have to be very careful. I eat them very sparingly and with Protein or fats to help with the absorption into my blood stream.

I was told by the nutritionist "if you always do what you have always done, you will get what you always got" a quote I believe she stole from weight watchers. A cookie or 2 on occassion is just fine .. half the package will once again get you in trouble. If you choose to not "work the band" like any weight loss program it simply wont work. It wasn't the occassional cookie that got you here.

Great advice! The band is not punishment, but rather a lifestyle adjustment. Just stay focused on the energy balance and your goals will not be jeopardized. Keep a grip on the treat foods rather than them having a grip on you - because NEVER is a very long time...

Brad

omg you poor thing that sucks

get well soooon

@layla's grandma....I am actually STILL packing my wound. I THINK I am on day 35 or 36...I have lost track. But I was probably a day or two away from being closed when I had my second surgery to relocate the port. My surgeon promised she would stitch it shut so I would be done packing, and well...that didn't happen. I actually ended up with an even larger incision that I had originally started with. I went from using 1/4 inch packing to 2 inch packing. So I jokingly say I am not back at square one, I am like negative 25 steps back! Glad to hear you are doing well and that your incision is healed. I am sure you feel alot better now! Best of luck to you!

I do eat sweets occasionally. I feel if I deprive myself I will end up going overboard like I used to and buy a bunch of crap and binge. That is one thing that factored into me getting the band as opposed to gastric bypass. I didn't want to feel like I was depriving myself in life. Do I keep sweets in my house? Absolutely not! Because I know if I do, I will eat it all at once. So once in a while I will treat myself to something and then that is it for a while.

I agree that my band is a lifestyle not a diet. I eat Pasta, bread, rice but it is all portion controlled. I lost 37 lbs just with 1cc in my size 14cc band. I added 2cc just a week or so ago and enjoy the fact that I never get any stuck issues unless I eat too fast. (That happened just once!!) :blink:

I only treat myself with alittle sweet if I worked out that day. If I miss a workout...sweets are off limits. Gotta earn them! Its not a habit but I'm not going to stress out if I have a small scoop of ice cream. Back in the day it would have been the entire quart!! Honestly, a tub of ice cream wouldn't last in my house...I would have a dish every nite until its gone but with my band...I think differently. That's what I'm trying to have my band do...control my brain more than my tummy!

Good luck!

I do a little bit, but honestly I don't really crave it. Maybe sugar free pudding, or a fudgsical.

Good thing for me is sugar free dark chocolate. Dove and Hersheys has little tiny bite size bars and it hits the spot for me. They have like 38 calories a piece. My problem is if i buy sweets, i eat them!! If I don't buy them I don't miss it.

Eat a lot of Protein before a sweet to offset cravings. For me, protein helps me not want a sweet. Protein is my friend now.

It's going to depend entirely on you and your reaction to them. Some people can eat them in moderation. Some can't either because it sets off an insulin reaction in the body which leads to major cravings...or because sweets are their trigger foods.

I don't avoid all sweets. But, I don't keep trigger foods in my house......a bag of Oreos is gone in a day.

What I find now, is that I don't crave them like I used to......and when I have something sweet, I am satisfied with just a little.

My "treat" that I do keep in the house is Nature Valley's Dark chocolate Granola Thins. They are only 80 calories (but 11 carbs) however, one of them satisfies me.......