Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New,young and nervous

hi all, i have my very first appointment in a week, and ill be 21 4 days after. I currently weigh about 270. I dont want this surgery for vanity reasons, i want it for my health. My back, hips and legs are always in pain, i cant lay down flat with out the feeling of my spine ripping out of my back :confused: i have also been hospitalized for numerous breathing issues. i just want all this to end. Im going to school to get licensed in a profession that i need to be active and its difficult for someone my size (as most of you may know lol)

im not nervous about the surgery, im nervous for recovery...

my school is intense and i can not miss many days or i will never get back on track.

im also nervous for my skin. My cousin got the surgery done when she was 16 and she has MASSIVE amount of loose skin, i cant afford to get anything tucked afterward and i dont want things to end that way...ANY SUGESTIONS???

ps. sorry if im ranting...like i said im nervous:unsure:

Well first off congrats on deciding to get banded. I know all about being young and nervous; I'm only 19 and I've been banded for almost 4 months now.

I was out for 2 weeks after surgery, but mainly because I had the sick leave to waste. It all depends on your pain tolerance. Some people go back after a week (I could have) and others go back a few days later.

As for the loose skin issue, it really depends on genetics, how long you've been overweight, how overweight you are, etc. For me my skin has done pretty well, but I do still want plastic surgery in the future. Some people say that weights can help your skin a bit, but you will still probably have some that is loose.

Good luck!

thanks, that did make me feel a little better :)

Good! Besides, who wouldn't prefer a little bit of loose skin over carrying so much extra weight? :)

Good Morning! Congrats on taking the steps to improve your health!

First I want to say I have little advice as far as surgery goes as I am getting ready for my first appointment as well! However, you are a young person and this could be the best time in your life to take charge! Reading on here and on members blogs I really have found inspiration to continue on this path!

My sister is in school right now for a very demanding schedule. However with a illness she was able to get some forgiveness by talking with her teachers. Perhaps sitting down with them and giving them the details and pleading your case would at least allow you a little "time" when things are the hardest! But from what I have read, for some, recovery is a walk in the park! I hope that is the same for me!

Good luck!

i hope mine is too, see with my school your only allowed to miss 3 days of class the entire semester! ahhh! and the only thing that is excusable in my school is funerals. my school really sucks lol im hoping if i talk to the right people they will have tome tolerance for me, unfortunatly the president of the school doesnt like me very much and she is not a tolerant person, im just gonna prepare for the worst but pray for the best =]

Congratulations on the steps you are taking to get banded. It was the best decision that I ever made and I wish that I was your age when I did it.

In regards to the lose skin...it all depends, everyone is different. I was banded almost 3 1/2 years ago. Last year I did have plastic surgery to remove lose skin. You will find others on here who didn't have to do anything at all because their skin bounced right back.

Best of luck to you!!!

Congrats on your choice to have the band done. I was the around the same age as you when I had my band done. I'm not going to sit here and lie to you as far as it being hard or easy. My surgery went nice a smooth and I was up and walking around after I got back up to my room after surgery. But everyone is different so don't expect to be able to do that. I had my surgery on I believe a Monday and I was not suppose to work until that coming Friday and I surprised everyone, even my doc and was at work that Friday. But anyways like other people are stating go to your school and talk to the right people and tell them your story. Hopefully they will be understanding for you. And the best of luck to you. It was the best thing I have ever done. And wouldn't go back for a second. :)

everyone i just wanna thank you guys so much! im started to feel a little bit better. i know i shouldnt be nervous especially cuz i havnt even gone to my first appointment yet.

i spoke to my cousin who had the surgery done when she was 16, she is 21 now and we talked about everything step by step of what i should expect, so im feeling a litter better and a little less nervous

good! Now see if you can get an appointment and maybe surgery can fall on a break from school!?

unfortunately it wont work out that way...see my first appointment is tomorrow and i am on vacation now, i go back to school on monday will no breaks till graduation which is in december. and i have to have it done before graduation because once i graduate ill no longer have insurance

You have to keep in mind that the Band is just a tool. It won't work miracles, you have to work with it. My doctor said that the lifestyle change with the band is like Weightwatchers with an aid. A real good aid but still just an aid.

Good luck and stay focused.