Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI over 50 - In it for the long haul

Hi - I've completed Day 3 of these pre-op diet and have been successful according to most criteria. It hasn't been perfect (I just had a handful of chili-lime almonds) which I struggle with -- if it's not EXACTLY right, it doesn't feel right at all. I'm having a hard time at the moment -- want to eat the wall, the dog, and my own arm -- which is why I'm keeping my hands busy typing. I'll go to bed soon. Tomorrow hubby has major surgery and I'll be sitting in a hospital all day. I'm a bit concerned about how to keep on track with all the idle sitting, vending opportunities, & stress while waiting. I'll need to pray my way through the day. Hope you're doing well. Let me know if you've had any great success lately so I can share your joy!

I see where your Hubby had major surgery. I am praying for you on this journey. So it looks like I am gonna have to be on a longer liquid diet. 2 meals/liquid/day and chicken broth etc and a lite dinner..THEN switching over this Thursday to a totally liquid for several weeks. I can still have low fat/salt Soups YEAH...lol Hoping that you and the hubby are doing well...do NOT let the vending machines know your name...then they will not have a way to call your name..take care and know that you are covered in prayer

Hi Everyone,

I've been off the forum for a few days (hubby had surgery and I kept busy taking care of him) and boy can I tell I didn't have the encouragement. It's been hard because I was supposed to replacing two meals a day w/protein shakes & bars and then one healthy meal a day. Yesterday I went to the doc for a weigh-in and didn't lose any, which I probably deserve because after hubby's surgery I really fell off the wagon. After a bad weekend, I started again on Monday (aren't we always starting again?) and then saw the nurse practitioner on Tuesday. She kindly but sternly told me that if I can't manage to lose some weight, the surgery would most likely get cancelled. That sure opened my eyes. She started me today on a full liquid diet -- nothing but shakes until my surgery on the 29th! EEEKKKK! She tells me that after 4-5 days my body will stop calling for food and the extreme hunger will stop.

So, that's my update. Has anyone else had to do an extended liquid diet like this? Has anyone else's doctor said they needed to lose weight BEFORE the surgery (my insurance does NOT require it -- the doctor does for "safety)? Has anyone else experienced the hunger going away after 4-5 day of only liquids?

Hope to hear from you!

Tell me about any successes so I know how you're doing!

Debbie

Hello all! We are all in this together and a continued trend with those of us of larger size sounds great to me!

I am 6 months post op this week surgery (3-5-10)and started with a BMI of 52. I started at 350lb at 5'9" and a size 32-34. I wont say it has been "easy" but not all that difficult either.

I did not have a pre-op diet, but did have to have a 6 month approval process. My surgery took at total of 45 minutes - and I left the hospital about 6 hour later. I was very lucky to have a very easy recovery with zero pain, and went back to a physical job a week later, but could have been back much earlier if necessary.

I have had 5 fills to date - each around 4-6 weeks apart. I have a 14cc band. 2.5cc, 2.5cc, 2cc, .5cc and .5cc - getting me to a current 8cc's. Did not feel any restriction at all until I reached 7.5cc (4TH fill) which was about 5 months post surgery. Unfortunately that lasted only about 2 weeks. My last fill (3 days ago) has left me feeling fantastic. Hopefully it will stay this way.

The journey so far has not been without bumps. I still struggle to eat slower and to chew - still haven't mastered this. I am good about the no drinking while eating though. I SO miss my diet coke, but now drink lots of snapple diet instead. I have had days when I eat way too much (prior to restriction), days when i have thrown up, and days when I even forget to eat because I wasn't hungry. It is a process and I try not to beat myself up because I am not perfect. I eat what I want just in much smaller amounts - this is why I specifically chose the lap band. I only eat 3 meals a day and have cut out most if not all snacking. I write down everything - I use lapband.com and I log on here everyday for support. I go to a support meeting monthly.

As far as exercise - I started day 3 post surgery with walking 1 lap around the track and really struggling. I am now up to 2-3 miles 5-6 days a week which I do with two walking buddies who are alo very heavy. Believe it or not - I actually like it! I also go on the wii fit whenever I get a chance - tons of fun!!!

Lots of changes besides my weight - I can walk the stairs witout any problems (my knees still hurt unfortunately), I can polish my toes, I can reach areas I haven't in forever! My kids gush when they see my. Recently I flew and didn't need a seat belt extender and I can now even cross my legs!

I still have a VERY long way to go - but i gave myself a realistic goal of 200lbs and will reevaluate at that point (would love to get to 170). So.... I am currently 6 monts post - am down 75 pounds to 275 and am down to a size 22 with a BMI of 41. This is still heavier than where some people start pre surgery, but I am happier than I have ever been.

We are all in this journey together - hope my story to date has helped at least someone. Lets all do this!!!!!!!

Cynthia

Hello all! We are all in this together and a continued trend with those of us of larger size sounds great to me!

I am 6 months post op this week surgery (3-5-10)and started with a BMI of 52. I started at 350lb at 5'9" and a size 32-34. I wont say it has been "easy" but not all that difficult either.

I did not have a pre-op diet, but did have to have a 6 month approval process. My surgery took at total of 45 minutes - and I left the hospital about 6 hour later. I was very lucky to have a very easy recovery with zero pain, and went back to a physical job a week later, but could have been back much earlier if necessary.

I have had 5 fills to date - each around 4-6 weeks apart. I have a 14cc band. 2.5cc, 2.5cc, 2cc, .5cc and .5cc - getting me to a current 8cc's. Did not feel any restriction at all until I reached 7.5cc (4TH fill) which was about 5 months post surgery. Unfortunately that lasted only about 2 weeks. My last fill (3 days ago) has left me feeling fantastic. Hopefully it will stay this way.

The journey so far has not been without bumps. I still struggle to eat slower and to chew - still haven't mastered this. I am good about the no drinking while eating though. I SO miss my diet coke, but now drink lots of snapple diet instead. I have had days when I eat way too much (prior to restriction), days when i have thrown up, and days when I even forget to eat because I wasn't hungry. It is a process and I try not to beat myself up because I am not perfect. I eat what I want just in much smaller amounts - this is why I specifically chose the LAP-BAND®. I only eat 3 meals a day and have cut out most if not all snacking. I write down everything - I use LAP-BAND®.com and I log on here everyday for support. I go to a support meeting monthly.

As far as exercise - I started day 3 post surgery with walking 1 lap around the track and really struggling. I am now up to 2-3 miles 5-6 days a week which I do with two walking buddies who are alo very heavy. Believe it or not - I actually like it! I also go on the wii fit whenever I get a chance - tons of fun!!!

Lots of changes besides my weight - I can walk the stairs witout any problems (my knees still hurt unfortunately), I can polish my toes, I can reach areas I haven't in forever! My kids gush when they see my. Recently I flew and didn't need a seat belt extender and I can now even cross my legs!

I still have a VERY long way to go - but i gave myself a realistic goal of 200lbs and will reevaluate at that point (would love to get to 170). So.... I am currently 6 monts post - am down 75 pounds to 275 and am down to a size 22 with a BMI of 41. This is still heavier than where some people start pre surgery, but I am happier than I have ever been.

We are all in this journey together - hope my story to date has helped at least someone. Lets all do this!!!!!!!

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia - Congrats on 75 lbs. off in 6 months -- that is awesome and so inspiring for me. I have 27 days until my banding and can't wait.

I loved reading that you've had days when you've fogotten to eat! That is soooo exciting. Even though it hasn't been perfect, just knowing that the roaring lion of hunger CAN be controlled makes me even more anxious.

I had another apt at the surgeon's office today and it looks like everything is a go. I am learning so much about why I eat, how I eat, and what I eat. I can't wait to change all that. I'm SOOO OVER letting food be the focus of my life.

This liquid Protein diet that I have to be on until the surgery is making me not look forward to meal time. That is a succes in itself. If I can learn that food is for nourishment; the people at the table with me are the real sources of pleasure, I shouldn't wake up every morning planning my day around food.

I look forward to hearing more from you as you continue down the road. It's so wonderful to hear success stories that are "real".

Blessings to You,

Debbie

I started at a BMI of 53.7 and am now at 37.8, so I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I didn't have to lose weight for my surgery other than for the fatty liver, but in two weeks of a pure liquid diet, I lost 23 lbs!

In some ways I would think that a pure liquid diet vs. one where you have some leeway (one meal per day) would be easier. There's no 'should I or shouldn't I' about what to eat. It's black and white.

Keep on! You can do this. I've lost 112 lbs in 9 months. Every bit of struggle on that liquid diet was worth it. It really was. I know it will be for you as well!

I started at a BMI of 53.7 and am now at 37.8, so I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I didn't have to lose weight for my surgery other than for the fatty liver, but in two weeks of a pure liquid diet, I lost 23 lbs!

In some ways I would think that a pure liquid diet vs. one where you have some leeway (one meal per day) would be easier. There's no 'should I or shouldn't I' about what to eat. It's black and white.

Keep on! You can do this. I've lost 112 lbs in 9 months. Every bit of struggle on that liquid diet was worth it. It really was. I know it will be for you as well!

Hi Amy, Thanks so much for your post. It really was an encouragement for me. You're right -- it's hard, but I keep reading about how the band can change your life and it gives me the will to make it another day. I have 24 more days till banding -- that seems like forever -- but compared to the rest of my life, it's really not, is it! So, I'll keep at this liquid Protein diet -- no matter how hard it is!

It's so inspiring to hear of BMI'ers over 50 who really do have success. What works for others, doesn't work for us....so I am excited to see that this CAN and DOES!

Thanks again, Amy! Hope to hear from you again!

Debbie

Debbie, you're welcome! 24 days...you really can do this. It is soooooooooooooooooooooo worth it, I promise. Just take it one meal at a time, and keep your eye on the prize. And when you are 9 months out from surgery and down 100+ lbs, you will look back and think about how proud you are of yourself for doing the liquid diet and setting yourself up for success.

My life is so different now. Yes, the weight loss, but moreso the fact that I am not constantly beating myself up about not losing weight. And I'm not constantly hungry. And I'm not constantly planning my next meal. It's very liberating!

Good luck to you!

Debbie, you're welcome! 24 days...you really can do this. It is soooooooooooooooooooooo worth it, I promise. Just take it one meal at a time, and keep your eye on the prize. And when you are 9 months out from surgery and down 100+ lbs, you will look back and think about how proud you are of yourself for doing the liquid diet and setting yourself up for success.

My life is so different now. Yes, the weight loss, but moreso the fact that I am not constantly beating myself up about not losing weight. And I'm not constantly hungry. And I'm not constantly planning my next meal. It's very liberating!

Good luck to you!

Hi Amy,

You are so motivating! Thank you -- I want to share some good news. This morning I weighed on my wii. (My bathroom scales only goes to 300 and I'm over that so I can't get a weight there.) Last Thursday I registered myself on the wii, got my BMI and weight in the system. This morning when I checked in, I was down 7.7 lbs which took about 2 pts off my BMI! I am sooo excited. This is the first I've seen come off since I started this whole journey! It's the boost I need to drink these shakes a bit longer.

Of course, that weight loss isn't official. I'm going to put a ticker in my post when I get an official loss at my doctor's on Wednesday, but it was what I needed for right now, so I'm taking it.

Something you said in your post -- "no more planning your day around food" or something to that effect...... I SOOO do that. (not now because it doesn't take long to plan 5 shakes) I would wake up every morning trying to figure how I could manipulate the schedule to get whatever food I wanted. And because I thought about that food all day long and because I had other foods I would plan for over the next few days, I knew I would have to eat big quantities of it because I loved it so much and wouldn't be getting it again for a while. NO WONDER I'M OVER 300 lbs!!!! I have to get past that kind of thinking and if it takes having nothing but shakes for another 24 days, so be it!

Well, anyway, you never know how one little sentence like that can make a person think and come through with a revelation that might be a factor in the lifestyle change. You rock, girl!

Thanks again - please be in touch with more little valuable tidbits. (no pressure! LOL)

Debbie

Has anyone found a Protein shake that they really like?

I have tried several and the Optifast that my doc suggests is the WORST! ICK - can't do it. I have found one at costco that is good -- Premier Nutrition or something like that, but I can only get it in chocolate and since I'm doing this for another 23 days, I'd like some variety.

Let me know if you have something you really like!

Thanks!

Debbie

Sorry, I could live the rest of my life on nothing but Optifast. So, I guess I can't be of any help here.

I love the stuff.

Is it the taste or the texture that turns you off?

My doctor required that I loose 10% body weight 30-34 pounds. My surgery had to be postponed due to another health issue. I ended up loosing 52 before my surgery. My doctor did not even schedule the surgery until my last consult with him so they could check your weight. One of the nurses commented that loosing weight is like unpacking a suitcase. The less fat there is for him/her to worry about during the surgery the easier it will be.

Sorry, I could live the rest of my life on nothing but Optifast. So, I guess I can't be of any help here.

I love the stuff.

Is it the taste or the texture that turns you off?

It's the taste -- I'm okay with the texture which is just about the same as the one I drink from costco. I LOVE the Optifast Soups, though. I could eat them every meal. I just ordered a 1/2 case off eBay -- saved about $1 a packet from my doc's price.

Do you know if the Soup is as acceptable as the shakes -- could I do 5 Soups a day instead of 5 shakes?

I like the costco one also, but on the list my Dr. gave me there's about 15 Protein Drinks to pick from. The one I know that comes in flavors is Instant Breakfast. You can get it at the grocery store. Only down side it doesn't have as much Protein & low calories as the costco one you mentioned. I don't know about the Soups, my Dr. let me have Soup everyday for lunch, but might not stick with you like a Protein Drink will if you have 5 a day.

Last week when I went for a fill after appt. I went to the store & only cold protein drink they had was muscle milk I couldn't stand that one either. It sucks being picky :) Good luck I know this part is hard but well worth it!

I like the costco one also, but on the list my Dr. gave me there's about 15 Protein drinks to pick from. The one I know that comes in flavors is Instant Breakfast. You can get it at the grocery store. Only down side it doesn't have as much Protein & low calories as the costco one you mentioned. I don't know about the Soups, my Dr. let me have Soup everyday for lunch, but might not stick with you like a protein drink will if you have 5 a day.

Last week when I went for a fill after appt. I went to the store & only cold protein drink they had was muscle milk I couldn't stand that one either. It sucks being picky :) Good luck I know this part is hard but well worth it!

Thanks for the input! You're right, this part does suck, but I realized today that I am now only 3 weeks off from surgery. That means that I only have one extra week to go and then I'll be on the 2 week pre-surgery diet like everyone else. So, it is winding down and I know I'm past the hardest part except for the bordem of the same thing all the time.

I appreciate you taking the time to write. This forum has truly been one of the things that has gotten me through. Without it, I would feel soooo alone and wonder if it' worth it. Now I'm surrounded by support and reminded often that it IS worth it!

Thank you!

Debbie

I liked the Premier Nutrition ones as well. The other stuff I liked (and DH, too, since he was nice and did it with me) was BSN's Lean Dessert. We like the chocolate and vanilla the best. I mixed it up by adding stuff to it - sugar-free Jello or pudding powder, instant coffee (my fav), and so on.

Congrats on doing so well! I'm glad to hear it. I am so excited for you - this is such a great journey. Yes, it has its own set of obstacles and hurdles, but in general, it's awesome! It's amazing to me that I am already 9.5 months out from my surgery, and even more amazing that I've lost 115 lbs. I can't even really wrap my head around it.

Keep up the good work!

Amy