Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have first appointment scheduled with lap band surgeon

My name is Karen, I am 40 years old, been overweight for 30 years. I stopped smoking 5 years ago and went on an anti-depressant and gained about 60lbs, on top of already being fat. I am really concerned about people complaining about the pain of eating after being banded. Also, if people who are banded can only eat a little, why do some people only lose 40 lbs. in a year and some can lose that in the first 4 months? I've heard of people wishing they had never had it done, so I just wonder what is so bad about it? I would like anyone to give me straight forward answers and advice. I would love to get banded!

I am preband so my comments are based on what I've read on this board. Yes after healing the amount you can eat will be less than before. One issue is what kind of food you are eating. liquids or carbohydrates that can dissolve in your mouth (crackers, Cookies, cake) will pass right through the pouch and into your stomach. The device isn't falling it's just doing what it is suppose to, letting fluids through. You need to be able to drink. I've read about people going to DQ and McD's and having ice cream and shakes. Those will melt and fall through. If you ate real food (chicken, fish, veggies) they will stay in the pouch and keep you satisfied. Also it depends on how much exercise effort you plan on. People are probably tired of me saying it but I've lost over 50 pounds since January (surgery planned for 8/12) with diet and ALOT of exercise. If I only lose 40 pounds in the next year I will see the surgery as a failure.

you have to also understand that people go thru months of plateaus. so the weight may have not came off at first, but than started to pick up towards the end,or vice versa. It all depends on the person and what they are willing to do to change. Some people are more determined to get the weight off than others. some of them think "oh well i go this done, i can still eat what i want just smaller portions"...Well not really... its a lifestyle change so that means Change Your Old Habits... Habits are hard to change but it can be done...You just have to use self discipline with this procedure. Although i am not banded yet either, i know how it works, just from reading these threads. I've been overweight my whole life so i'm tired of seeing nothing but fat all over my body... Everyone has to have some type of motivation to keep them involved with the band...

I was banded on July 1st. Before that I had lost a substantial amount of weight by JUST changing my eating habits. My doctor is very strict when it comes to carbohydrates and by me cutting out bread Pasta rice and potatoes I was able to lose alot of weight. Since being banded I have lost another 10 lbs. Yes, crackers and ice cream go down easy but honestly they are also triggers for weight gain. Making better food choices is key to weight loss. Exercise makes a difference too but with the weight loss I have experienced so far I was doing very little. I have now started to work out on a regular basis and I am sure this will only boost the weight loss.

I believe that the band is what you make it. If you are looking for an easy way out then don't do it because it is definataly NOT that. But if you are looking to change your lifestyle it will work WITH you.

For every disaster story there is 2-3 success stories. I will be one of those success stories!

I wish you well with your decison!

The biggest thing I've learned on this board is that the band is a TOOL and not a magic fix for losing weight. How much weight you lose is directly related to how much effort you put into it. Im 2 days post surgery so I can't speak for long term weight loss but I know that I HAVE to change my eating habits otherwise this was all in vain. I've been told to eat Proteins first, then veggies, then carbs if you are going to have any. My nutritionist said he is not against carbs but wants us to make sure and get enough Protein in every day since protein is what will keep us fuller for longer. Also, exercise is key to losing weight.

The reasons that people don't lose a lot of weight in their first year are complex. Some people have complications that make fills difficult, if not impossible, to preform so they don't hit their "sweet spot" as quickly as others do.

Some people are unprepared for the changes that come with banded life. Research all you want (and you should research until you're ready to poke your eyes out at your next sighting of the word lap-band), but realize that it's not the same once you actually have that band. The band goes around your stomach and helps you feel full faster, but there is no band to go around your brain and block the thoughts of ice cream, deep-fried chicken, or whatever not-so-great food you love. Cravings are real and difficult to overcome and some people just aren't equipped to get past them, even though they think they are.

Some people have hormonal problems that make weight loss difficult. A lot of women who are overweight suffer from PCOS and metabolic syndrome or thyroid disorders. Unfortunately, weight loss can be slow for these people even with the band!

Some people are TOO TIGHT and don't lose weight because all they can consume are calorie-dense liquids that provide no sense of satiety. They complain because they can't eat but won't get a slight unfill because they're afraid to eat.

There are more reasons, but I think these are the four I've seen most frequently.

I just had my first consultation with the surgeon yesterday, and I feel like I'm in the same boat with SO many questions. This has been a lifetime struggle for me and I know that the lap band will be a great tool to help me achieve my health goals. What keeps going through my mind though is why can't I just do this on my own? Why don't I just try again and follow the low carb diet on my own without going through surgery? If I just need to eat differently and smaller portions, why don't I just do this on my own? However, while all these questions are rolling around in my head I'm also thinking....these are the things I've promised and tried for more than half my life already. These haven't worked. I know that the lap band will work for me, but my head is playing games already.

Didn't the consultation help you??? I feel the same as you...I'm thinking of what I can do to try to lose it myself instead of surgery. I think I will continue to walk, maybe just more, and cut down on my food intake and see if I can manage to lose weight, but at the same time go to the Surgeon and see how I feel about it as time passes a little.:party:

Karen,

Seeing the surgeon did help and did answer questions about the actual procedure/process. I felt pretty prepared beforehand because I have been doing a lot of research on here, on youtube, and on other websites for the lap band. I now have a phone call in to my PCP to see which testing and appointments will be covered by my initial referral and which will need to have additional referrals written up.

I guess I'm just struggling personally with the decision. One minute I can be 100% sure about moving forward with the band. The next minute I am wondering if I can just do this on my own. What this tells me is that I need to sit back, continue to read and research, and continue to soul search before making my decision. I don't want to jump into this lightly because it is a life changing decision.

Right now I think I am just overwhelmed by the reality of the situation---this really is a possibility now. Many years ago I went to a seminar about the gastric bypass procedure. When I went to my doctor at that time, I felt I was laughed out of the office for the most part. I gave up on it then and continued trying on my own. Well, here I am today with the lap band being a real possibility for me. It's just a little overwelming right now.

Please be sure to post after you have your first appointment with the surgeon. I hope all goes well and you get the input that you need.

~Tracy