Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for September 2010 Bandsters

I have to say I am surprised at how well I have been doing since surgery on the 21st. The only thing that really hurts is the incision area when I get up from a chair or bed. I have had horrible gas but, no shoulder pain so far. I have had a Protein Shake, beef broth and a sf popsicle today. I go in to have my staples taken out in a week and I cant wait cuz Im so worried about moving the wrong way and them coming out. I walk like a old lady around the house but, other then that I am geat. :smile2:

Melissa

"Hi"....I am a newbie to post but I am also anxious, nervous, excited, and to be honest, a little scared...all of a sudden, my surgery date is SATURDAY(9/25)! I have a hiatal hernia and will stay overnight....surgery is at Rex, Raleigh, NC and I am 60 years young!!

"Hi"....I am a newbie to post but I am also anxious, nervous, excited, and to be honest, a little scared...all of a sudden, my surgery date is SATURDAY(9/25)! I have a hiatal hernia and will stay overnight....surgery is at Rex, Raleigh, NC and I am 60 years young!!

Wow, I can't imagine what it would be like to have my surgery date sprung on me like that. But, I will tell you felt all of these emotions and more for the past week or so. While my journey began Sept of last year, I felt I was ready and I was. But I still had second thoughts, doubts, crazy nerves, etc. I just kept reassuring myself it is the right thing for me to do! I was banded this morning, and I can already say it is wonderful in Bandland!!!:) I'm so happy I did it, and I haven't even lost any weight yet!:smile2:

Good Luck to you and please keep us posted!

Alright, Ladies!! Back home and banded!! Whoo-hoo!! I spend a little longer at the hospital that I wanted to.. I was suppose to be there at 11 for surgery at 1. They told me the surgery had been pushed back to 2 and I was still waiting at 3p... But I must say they nursing staff made it worth the wait.

As fas as pain goes - when I first woke up I felt a sharp tight pain in my chest... quick shot of morphine cleared that up... I finally was allowed to leave at 8pm. No regrets!! Just tired... think I am going to call it a night.. goodbye bed, hello recliner. :smile2:

As promised, I thought of each and one of you guys...

It is soooo encouraging to see evryone is doing fine. Getting ready for Sept 30th...getting a little nervous......:smile2:

Grace- good to know Im not the only one. Ive actually read a few other posts today that were talking about the same thing. My solution... my mom is hiding the scale from me. So I won't weigh in for 2 weeks. It sorta hurts not to keep checking but I know me... very well... and it will be best for me to stay clear of the damn scale. If I see I lose only 1 pound in a week, I will become aggrivated and ruin myself for the day... but if I stay away and see that I lost 3 or so pounds in 2 weeks, I will be more satisfied. I have a screwy mentality so like I said, for me, better to stay away. And I have to have someone else hide it from me so I won't even be tempted to look for it. Out of sight out of mind... I have been measuring myself too so I think that I will give the tape to my mother to keep away from me too. I'll do bi-weekly checks! :mad: :smile2: Annnd hopefully that will keep my sane!

Congrats to the newly banded! :) Glad to hear so many people are doing so well! :mad:

Good Morning peeps!

Pooky- Thats got to be a difficult job when having to see sad situations like the one you descibed. I'd imagine that theres a lot of differnet emotions minute to minute, patient to patient. Finding alternative outlets are gonna have to be our focus. Some ideas would be maybe exercising, talking to someone supportive, writing to release emotions and thoughts, slamming a pillow against a bed over and over. (I gotta practice what I preach)

Cathy- Congrats on the hitting below 200, thats awesome!

Banded- Thats awesome! Congrats on the 21 down (maybe plus some)!

Just venting... I went for my 2 week follow up yesterday, they removed my stitches but apparently I still have a lot of swelling in the belly. The nurse weighed me and its the same weight its been for days now. 15 lbs down total but only 7 lbs down since surgery. I mean, I know its actually really good, especially since I had a hard time losing 3 lbs for months, but to me, I feel like it should be more. I know its ONLY been 14 days but but but... Uhhh. This is why I need to avoid the scale, cause it doesn't move fast enough for me, then I get frustraited, then I give up. Not that I am giving up, I can't and I won't BUT it puts a damper on things. :tt1: It makes me sad. Yeah yeah, I know... in 3 weeks 15 lbs is really something to be happy about... So why aren't I? Then the nurse tried to explain to me that 1-2 lbs really is the norm and the healthy thing so being that I had more, its really great... :mad: And it didn't make me feel better that she was explaining how after the rest of the swelling goes down I will probably have more hunger and can eat more until I get a fill in 4 weeks.... Okay well, I eat when I get hungry now and its not that often but I guess because I had high expectations, I feel its too much. If I could do it I would love to eat like I did 3 days post-surgery forever... I took 3 spoons of pudding and was full..... Yeah, that feeling didn't last forever. I have to remember, this is NOT MAGIC... its a HELPFUL TOOL! Now if only I can't stop my brain from its normal ALL or NOTHING attitude, then I'd be fine. :) Stupid BRAIN...

:smile2: Sorry you're feeling so frustrated. Wondered if you're eating enough and drinking enough. I eat every 2 hours = 6 meals a day and drink from a water bottle all day - try to do 2 litres by bed time. I know you have to keep the internal fire going to lose.... Hope you're having a better day. :mad:

Hi I'm Des and I'm 57 years young. Was banded last Tuesday 14 Sept and it's has gone so well. I am so glad I found this site as you need some pep talks and encouragement - well I did on the 4th day when I felt very depressed which thankfully is now behind me. I can hardly believe I'm losing weight after a lifetime of struggle but it's happening and have already dropped a few pounds. Lots of luck and looking forward to hearing how it went. Feel free to ask any questions. Warm wishes, Des

I have to say I am surprised at how well I have been doing since surgery on the 21st. The only thing that really hurts is the incision area when I get up from a chair or bed. I have had horrible gas but, no shoulder pain so far. I have had a Protein Shake, beef broth and a sf popsicle today. I go in to have my staples taken out in a week and I cant wait cuz Im so worried about moving the wrong way and them coming out. I walk like a old lady around the house but, other then that I am geat. :smile2:

Melissa

Wonderful to hear how well you're doing. Congrats. My port area is still tender and a friend whose had the band says it goes on for a couple of months. I am putting on Vitamin e oil to help with the scarring. Yay for your staples coming out!

Alright, Ladies!! Back home and banded!! Whoo-hoo!! I spend a little longer at the hospital that I wanted to.. I was suppose to be there at 11 for surgery at 1. They told me the surgery had been pushed back to 2 and I was still waiting at 3p... But I must say they nursing staff made it worth the wait.

As fas as pain goes - when I first woke up I felt a sharp tight pain in my chest... quick shot of morphine cleared that up... I finally was allowed to leave at 8pm. No regrets!! Just tired... think I am going to call it a night.. goodbye bed, hello recliner. :smile2:

As promised, I thought of each and one of you guys...

Congratulations! So glad it went well and hope you slept like a dream on the recliner. Rest, rest, rest and take it slow in these early days. We're learning to love ourselves!!!

I was banded yesterday, here I sit in my bed with the laptop - I did not sleep well at all last night, I did nap when I got home yesterday but was very uncomfortable through the night. My pain med is liquid extra strength tylenol the pain med that was prescribed for me, my insurance co. denied it when my hubby went to get it filled! So Tylenol is it.

I have 5 "holes" where they went in - sore throat due to the tube but all of it is OK :smile2: I am excited about the next few weeks and getting past all of this. I am returning to work on Monday! Any tips for the first few days/weeks???

Our Special Dates:

Today: September 23

emsbugbug, cicigirl, kierstyun2010, hocuspocus, mrsmontero12607, sarwenc, sourmissg, monicaleon18, Kmommy, etexlady

THIS WEEK: Good luck too those of you having your surgery this week. Let us know when you get a chance how you are doing after your surgery. We will have you in our thoughts.

September 24 - ctrose, kmckinleyrn, South Dakota Girl, cocoabeanie03, hserra, donnasang, the8re0221

September 25 - candy Rain, Jason's mom*

NEXT WEEK:

September 27 - babyk, LisaA (leaving for Mexico on the 26th), ocbutterfly, david314, wendyhart, panna, Okie_59 (Mexico surgery), maria_r, jayden91508

September 28 - Zippy74, kosy2, ebeeze824, newbs, Marte80, Paigey, tk07, findingherself

September 29 - wanna.b.healthy, Foxracing1201, chriper, Marte80, latin_starr, CSE

September 30 - mrsbure, cndalbs, qtney1, yacht4

*newest additions

I want everyone to be recognized for this journey, so please let me know if I overlooked you.

Those approved/self pay and waiting for dates:

TheLovelyMissJ

desperatelyw.loss

HeatherinCA

phershey

PitPat

bayareanan

Bugaboo77

118 have crossed over to Band Land:

1reign - from FL

ahlmanfamily - from MA

aliciaj - from PA

ally UK - from England

Angel82 - from MN

angellegna29 - from NJ

angelpix - from MN

AnnaOz - from Brisbane, Australia

bandalley - from Alberta Canada

BandedNellie - from CT

blondeej - from TX

Brian-LA - Brian from LA

Bunny7 - Des

Butterfly2010 - from NC

CalaCake - from PA

CdnBlondie - from FL

cece1967 -from CA

cicigirl - from

ConB113 - from FL

cortneyhughes - from TX

CSinTX - Cathy from TX

danide - Danielle from NY

debrarh - from GA

Desiree1972 - from GA

donna niemi - from FL

donnalys - from AL

drm1123 - from NY

ebonykisses - from NJ

emsbugbug - Christi from

Esin - from London, England

etexlady - from

fldanny - Danny from FL

Freshstart2010 - Christi from CA

girlbanded - from

glitteryvampiregirl - Catherine from AL

gracerev - Pastor from GA

HAD_ENOUGH - from CA

Harleybleu

helgainaz - from AZ

highlojack - Brenda from RI

hocuspocus - from

ILUVFOOD - from NJ

jlr58 - from NJ

jmariedel - from VA

jshort - Jennifer from MO

matzobeans - from CA

melonie - from MO

KAS1971 - from MA

kierstyun2010 - from

KimK813 - from AL

kimmila - from CA

kittykat56 - Kathi from OH

Kmommy - from

krieck - from OK

kydman - from KY

Kysmith72 - from RI

LadyT39 - from FL

Lanah - from TX

LannahLouise - from

lauravarley - from TX

lbtss16 - from IL

ledgins - Lisa from NC

leeblewb - from VA

lemonchick - from TX

lillyegg - from NY

lovemysgt - from TX

Loyalfriend - from NC

Mandyrae - from TX

maxi2010 - Maxi from NY

melissa4773 - Melissa from IA

missjoany - from NC

mom05 - from CA

monicaleon18 - Moni from TX

motherbear - from NH

MrsFitand42 - Tiffany from TN

mrsmontero12607 -

msmith73 - from NH

mytrice - from FL

Nani4five - from MI

Natalka - from WA

neenee717 - from NC

NYsLegend78 - from NJ

Olsweetmusic - from FL

onceuponaband - Paige from OH

Pammyl - from RI

papoose - from NJ

peggycas - from TX

piperboo - from AR

playermimi - from MA

pooky032281 - Erin from OK

purplevic -from FL

ready4change10 - from PA

RACandler - from NJ

risenhour1 - from FL

rkwilliams1013 - Rebecca from GA

RN.Violet - from KY

Run Girl Run - from MO

sannersplace72 - Sandy from MD

SarahMarie123 - from WA

sarwenc - Sarah from IN

Scarred4Life - Tiffany from FL

shellyh - Shelly from MA

shushuandanniesmom - Jamie from IL

spitfireleo - from MA

sourmissg - Gale from

Stateofzen - Lyla from AL

stephanie1975 - from Victoria, Canada

stephanie24p - Stephanie from IL

sugarmoma - from IL

sunny day - from NY

swissnis - from IL

teach830 - from

TheMaxwellFamily- from IN

Tsaleen - from CA

vega1star - from MI

WAH.MOM - from WI

wishful-thinking

younghippiechick - from CA

Disclaimer: I have already posted this comment earlier in a previous thread, but after looking through some of the posts on this thread I thought it might provide some use here. Hope it helps.

Hello To All,

I'm a very long time lurker, and first time poster. I had my surgery on the 21st of the month, and am just wrapping up my first day home post-op.

So far everything has gone smooth sailing. No stomach discomfort, no major abdominal pain, no trouble swallowing liquids, pills - no problems at all. To be honest, if it wasn't for the bandages around my chest, and the X-ray showing a band in there, I wouldn't have noticed anything different...well maybe my abdomen is a little sore. :)

I like to take a moment to add a little advice, and a word of encouragement to those of you who still have an upcoming surgery date and may be a little anxious or having second thoughts about it...

I haggled with my insurance carrier for over seven months before finally being approved (and this is from a supposedly top-notch one - BC/BS!). During that time, I read practically every thing I could find about the LAP-BAND® System, especially on LBT, and greatly increased my knowledge about the strengths and the weaknesses of this type of weight loss surgery.

The point I'd like to make is for those of you still contemplating on having the procedure, realize that while you will find a gold-mine of great information on weight-loss surgery forum sites such as this one, but also be very mindful not to base your own upcoming surgery on somebody else's posted experience. Always keep in mind that generally what you are going to read about are problems or worst case scenarios, which do not reflect the majority of LB patient outcomes.

This is to be expected to some extent, I guess, since generally people do post in online forums to find some help or resolution to their questions or problems - and this goes for every subject under the sun, not just gastric banding, to be fair. In a nutshell, a person who limits themselves only to what they read online concerning LBS will hardly ever hear about the countless procedures performed every day that have positive outcomes with no issues at all - just like mine.

I point this out with the hope that those of you who are still waiting on your surgery and might be now be anxious or wavering in your decision to go through with it (as I was, right up to the last second I had the anesthetic mask put on) might take comfort in the fact the the odds are actually with you, not against you. After seven months of waiting for approval and filling my head with online horror stories of failed pre-op diets, tyrannical doctors, surgeries gone wrong, post-op problems, etc, I was ready to call the whole thing off. And if it wasn't for some last minute encouraging advice from an old acquaintance who had the surgery, I might have done just that. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Wrapping it all up, learn all you can about this valuable weight loss tool, but base your experiences on your own experiences, and learn to separate the golden nuggets of online info from all the late night horror shows floating around in the ether land. I'm now 15lbs down from the pre-op diet, post-surgery, and well on my way to goal. Hope you will all soon join me on the journey. :smile2:

Stormrider

Start: 275 12/31/2009

Banded: 252 09/21/2009

Goal(?): 165 Someday!

LAP-BAND® Surgery in Indiana - Bariatric Surgery - Morbid Obesity Surgery - Keith McEwen M.D.

Edited by Stormrider

Hi Everyone,

I was banded on Monday around 10am. I left the hospital around 2pm and went straight for bed. The gas pain has been the hardest, as well as the getting in and out of bed.

So far I have lost 17.5 pounds and am loving it. I can't wait to be done with the liquid stage.

Happy and Banded,

Moni :smile2:

weight.png