Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing to do with Band, but need INPUT desparately

What to so with my mom's dog  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What to so with my mom's dog

• She needs to get rid of it
    • Let her lock it up
    • force her to see kids at my house

You do not have the right to control what your Mother does with her life. The only control you have is over yourself and your children.

Your choice really boils down to this: Is the free childcare worth risking a dog bite for? If it is, take them over there, if its not, find somewhere else for your children to stay.

I give this advice from experience, my Mother chooses to live in a situation that is not safe for my child, so he does not go over there. If she wants to see him she is welcome to come over to our house.

This is a no brainer, keep your kids away from her dog. It's her dog and she can keep it if she wants, it's her choice unless you feel you need to report her to animal control. Then you risk the relationship forever. The simplest solution is to have her babysit at your house and if she can't do that, find someone else to babysit. It's really not your decision.

Where are the "Get rid of the kids" and "Lock the kids up" choices?

I'm a dog person and love animals more than kids but if on of my dogs bit somebody or even growled unprovoked, they are gone.

But my dogs are 155 and 200 pounds. What breed are we talking? Some little rat terrier or chihuahua that are known for nipping? Or a large dog that can actually cause damage?

I can't resist an oppotunity to show off my babies

75645-albums5318-picture38533.jpg

Edited by btrieger

I love how people are like get rid of the dog. WOW! these animals depend on us. Just because they display aggresive behavior doesnt mean you just toss them away.

I agree with Betsy B's reply. I couldnt have said it better myself. None of it is your choice.

Where are the "Get rid of the kids" and "Lock the kids up" choices?

I'm a dog person and love animals more than kids but if on of my dogs bit somebody or even growled unprovoked, they are gone.

But my dogs are 155 and 200 pounds. What breed are we talking? Some little rat terrier or chihuahua that are known for nipping? Or a large dog that can actually cause damage?

I can't resist an oppotunity to show off my babies

75645-albums5318-picture38533.jpg

BT- You said your dogs are 155 & 200lbs...then is the little dog their snack? ?? :scared2:

Sorry that your daughter was bit. I'd find alternate care. She could promise to lock up the dog, but IMO, that might make the animal aggressive and worse yet, jealous. Dogs are funny that way.

If you don't mind my asking, why isn't dad watching the girls while you're at school? Maybe you mentioned that before and I missed it. Just a thought! I don't think you can force your mom to get rid of the dog, but you can dictate how and when she gets to spend time with the girls. I have two girls myself, and my mom is a puppy raiser for Canine Companions. If one of her dogs ever bit my girls, it would be GAME over at Nannie's house until that dog was gone. Period. Plain and simple. GL!

I am moving this into it's proper forum.

BT- You said your dogs are 155 & 200lbs...then is the little dog their snack? ?? :cursing:

Not if they can't catch it :wub:

I believe you must keep your kids away from your mothers dog. However, you have no right to expect her to get rid of her pet so that she can babysit for you. Have your mom visit at your house where you control the situation and find a new sitter. Your husband is right, the dog may be let out after everything dies down and you cannot take that chance.

BetsyB is the voice of sanity in this discussion.

We acquired a beautiful min. schnauzer puppy that my vet said was going to be a "biter" but didn't recommend that we get rid of her. Instead he said she's going to get very protective of you and your husband and the situation will escalate. You need to get another dog. That's what we did. Long story short, she has been a wonderful pet and companion and is absolutely no threat to the grandchildren. Ever. We've had them for 11 years and they are like family members. I never in a million years thought I would feel this way but if one of my dogs bit someone I would need to analyze the situation and come up with a reasonable game plan that didn't include just discarding the animal.

My nephew was sitting on his aunt's lap one day when he was 2 years old. The aunt's long time family pet, a dachhound, scrambled up her legs and very aggressively bit the nephew several times on his face. He had to have plastic surgery and even now, as an adult, looks like he had surgery for cleft lip and surgery on his nose. So the size of the animal doesn't necessarily tell you how much permanent damage a dog can do.

So I sure don't believe that dog bites should be taken lightly! That being said, just keep your children (and all other children) away from this obviously jealous and protective animal. But don't ask your mother to choose between her pet and your kids... she might just choose the animal that loves her the most and the one that gives her unconditional love.

Edited by BJean

Tough call...

I would arrange for other child care and let your mom decide what to do about her dog. This may have been a one-off incident, but you don't want to risk a reoccurrence.

The dog may indeed have been snappy because of the heat, but that's no excuse. You cannot demand Mom get rid of the dog, as the other posters have said, because its her dog and likely her ties to it are very strong, since your Dad picked it out.

I also agree with BetsyB - your mom is not choosing the dog over her grandchildren or you. It's not that cut-and-dried.

I wish you and your family well in deciding how to handle this...