Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Northern Ontario?

Hi everyone! Looking for bandsters banded in Toronto but live up North. I am 1 week post-op tomorrow, July 22, 2010 :thumbup:

Hi! I was banded July 8th at SWLC and I live on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Hi! I was banded July 8th at SWLC and I live on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Hey...aren't you on the Northern Gardening forums on Garden Web too?? I seem to recognize the the name!

So, who was your surgeon and how are you doing? I am now 11 days post op and went back to work yesterday.

No sorry I'm not on any gardening forums.

I had Dr. Mumford at SWLC. I also went back to work yesterday. I have a very physical job so I needed to be off 2 good weeks. Its going really well though, it was time.

Who was your surgeon?

No sorry I'm not on any gardening forums.

I had Dr. Mumford at SWLC. I also went back to work yesterday. I have a very physical job so I needed to be off 2 good weeks. Its going really well though, it was time.

Who was your surgeon?

I had Dr. Colbourn - I was sold the minute I met him. It was nice to know that the one consulted with was the one who was doing it. Answered all my questions quickly, efficiently and I felt completely at ease with him. I'm on my feet all day with my job and do some lifting but I'm careful and felt alright going back the first week. Funny though, yesterday, my large inscision was tender. Not red though, but itchy/tender. I'm keeping an eye on it though. And am also starting to be hungrier. Had a diet Jello last night which seemed to help. I go on Aug 9 to get my stitch out as my family Dr.'s closed till then. I went with SWLC because of the trained nurses up here to do fills so I don't have to travel to Toronto and back all the time. What a bonus! Did you fly home after your surgery or (gasp) did you drive? Either way, it must have been a long old haul after the surgery! :scared2:

I drove, I know a little crazy. The day after my surgery we went as far as Sudbury and I had had enough. The next day we got all the way home and I could have kept going, I was feeling great. We stopped lots along the way shopping and walking on beaches. What city are you getting your fills in? We don't have anyone trained here but my GP is willing to learn - yikes!!! He is actually awesome. I work in the health care field and I trust him.

You'll feel so much better once your stitch comes out. I had Dr. Mumford and he was awesome too! I've called the nurses and dietician a few times now and they are so supportive, patient and kind. :rolleyes:!! I started normal solid foods today!

I drove, I know a little crazy. The day after my surgery we went as far as Sudbury and I had had enough. The next day we got all the way home and I could have kept going, I was feeling great. We stopped lots along the way shopping and walking on beaches. What city are you getting your fills in? We don't have anyone trained here but my GP is willing to learn - yikes!!! He is actually awesome. I work in the health care field and I trust him.

You'll feel so much better once your stitch comes out. I had Dr. Mumford and he was awesome too! I've called the nurses and dietician a few times now and they are so supportive, patient and kind. :(!! I started normal solid foods today!

Wow, how's the solid food going down? I had a (1/2)salmon sandwich for lunch yesterday, on fresh whole wheat bread and it was heaven! Although, tonite I thought I'd try an oz. of mozzarella but I guess I ate it too fast - felt kind of stopped up for a few moments. Nothing serious, but a different feeling.

The SWLC is supposed to have a trained nurse somewhere here in Sudbury. They haven't told me who, or when I am supposed to go for my first fill. I thought I had read somewhere on the boards that there is someone trained in Thunder Bay area for fills. Surely, they must have someone near by for you. That's the main reason I went with SWLC, is because they had trained people up here.

Do you weigh yourself every day? I stopped and now try to hold out for every 3-4th day or so. I can't wait for my feet and knees to stop hurting as the lbs. come off.

I still have another box of Meditrim to finish up so I am adding berries and Milupa baby pablum to it to thicken it up. I can barely stand the smell of the stuff anymore and am doctoring it up as much as I can to finish them off. For the price I paid for the stuff, I'd better use it!

So I usually have that first thing, take it to work with me and finish it up by about 11AM. Then I've started taking 2 boiled eggs as my lunch and then some tuna and Beans (yummy!) for a late snack. I don't mind a 1/2 a sandwich for supper and some pureed veggies (squash/sweet potatoes).

What do you have?

I'm exactly the same as you, the odd food seems to go down slower and feels stuck but it passes quickly.

For Breakfast I've been having yogurt with a couple tablespoons of raisin bran and 3 diced up strawberries, lunch 4 triscuits with low fat cheese,salsa and 6 cherries, supper grilled chicken and vegies. I'm sticking to their instructions to have 3 1/2-1c meals but they are not keeping me full till the next meal. Also I'm only hitting about 750 calories a day doing this? Do you think its okay to add a 4th meal just to get up to 1000 calories???

I might end up going to Thunder Bay for my first fill but its a 3 hr drive each way. SWLC sent my physician a video, learning package and all the equipment he`ll need to do my fills. Honestly he is a brilliant man! Do you know if there is anyone in Sault Ste. Marie, I`m going that way for holidays in just over a week.

I`m saving some of my meditrim for after each fill when we have to go on liquids again for a day or two! I`m so tired of them. Your a tough cookie!

I`m saving some of my meditrim for after each fill when we have to go on liquids again for a day or two! I`m so tired of them. Your a tough cookie!

Wow...you were banded 8 days before me....have you started eating "people food" yet? Had a scare today...started eating solids this weekend (long weekend; went to our cottage.....) I was having a 'quick' bite before hitting the road to come home and I had the displeasure of getting stuck...I was having a President's Choice tuna burger (they're really good!) - just the patty; chewed it really well, but ate it too fast and I thought I was going to suffocate! You don't want to feel that!! Couldn't even have a tiny sip of Water without hiccupping like crazy! So beeeee careful!!

So your surgeon sent a video to your family doctor? Lucky you! Wonder if that will still cost you per fill.....apparently if an out-of-towner does your fill, it will cost anywhere between $75 - $150. How will you determine when you need a fill?? Does SWLC call us? I honestly don't remember!

I'm figuring I am healing quite well, eating much more and haven't gotten on the scale since last Wednesday. I had wine last night at the cottage but it didn't hit me like I expected it to. I had 7-layer salad, a burger patty, 1 weiner, (no buns), a slice of Tomato, a spoonful of ice cream...spread out over about 45 minutes. That's alot huh? I surprised myself too! Today I had a sunny side egg, a piece of peameal bacon, 1/2 a piece of whole wheat toast with butter, about 1/4 c orange juice for Breakfast. That 3/4 of a piece of tuna burger for lunch and a small piece of 7-layer salad and another tuna burger for supper. I think that's too much so I'm going to email/call SWLC tomorrow for some back up.

As for your question about your calorie consumption.....I went the 2 wks. post-op with less than 1,000 calories too, but then I just felt extra hungry last Monday at supper time and ate more. Maybe that was too soon....

Good call on saving the Meditrim for after fills! Great idea (as I can't handle them much more either yet feel obligated to finish them considering what I paid for them)

:thumbup: Hi there I was banded July 13th and get to start solids this week !!! I am N Ontario Gal too. I am hoping to get my fills in Sudbury, I should know tomorrow where as I have a request in at the SWLC, Polly how is it going on solids...this past long weekend I feel I was naughty because I ate more real soft food than I have been... I refuse to get on the scales for a few days I am going to let things settle and get back into my food routine!!! Which I will need to implement weather we are at the cottage or not.... we all will have some cliches to Iron out ...I guess.:)

:thumbup: Hi there I was banded July 13th and get to start solids this week !!! I am N Ontario Gal too. I am hoping to get my fills in Sudbury, I should know tomorrow where as I have a request in at the SWLC, Polly how is it going on solids...this past long weekend I feel I was naughty because I ate more real soft food than I have been... I refuse to get on the scales for a few days I am going to let things settle and get back into my food routine!!! Which I will need to implement weather we are at the cottage or not.... we all will have some cliches to Iron out ...I guess.:)

Yes, darn long weekends. I started my Meditrim fast on the Friday of the long weekend in July....pretty boring at the cottage unable to bbq something or have a nice cold beer. So made up for it this weekend. And you're right - I did feel naughty but then when I input my food into fitday.com, I wasn't actually much over 1,000 calories today. Will see tomorrow morning when I get on the scale for the first time since last Wednesday.

OMG cjf, I just noticed you are in Sheg??? Our cottage is down there! Small world!!!

Edited by Miss_BiBi
to add

Where in Sheg are you located?

Hi Miss_BiBi and Cjf,

People food is wonderful. :blushing: I've had a few things that were slow going down but nothing has gotten stuck or uncomfortable. Last night after supper I had shoulder pain so I think I ate a bit too much, I should have had half a cob of corn instead of a full one.

Miss Bibi how long were you stuck for? I'm anxious to hear how the scale was for you.

Bay Estates