Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op weigh in questions

Hey guys! As part of my insurance requirements, I must have six consecutive months of weigh ins by my family doctor in order to have surgery. My question is, should I be losing weight? I mean, the obvious answer here is yes, I'm eligible for surgery so I of course NEED to lose weight. Should I be consistently losing though at my weigh ins? I know that at the end of the six months I will still be eligible but will my insurance not want to approve me because it shows I can lose? This may be a stupid question but any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hello amber2604

I live here in Pittsburgh, A an i have UPMC HMO which requires a 6mos supervised diet. Basically they just want you to be able to maintain your current weight, if you happen to lose some weight that is great but JUST DO NOT GAIN!!!!!! :) I completed my 6mos diet in May 2010 and i was able to lose 12.5 lbs and lowered my BMI i think about by 2 and my ins co still approved my and my Dr was very proud of me.

You will be just fine, just practice some of the tips and strategies recommended by your bariatric dietitian (if you have had your 1st appt already) do a little exercise and you will be fine.

If you would like i and support and motivate you from time to time throughout your 6mos diet journey!

Take care you will be fine!!!!!

Dena:thumbup:

I did not lose much weight in my six-month visits to my PCP. Matter-of-fact, the insurance person at the surgical center told me to make sure that I do 7 doctor's visits instead of just 6. I've read on this board that some people have done 6 and did okay. I did do the 7. I do have several comorbidities, and again, didn't lose much weight.

I lost 31 pounds in 1.5 month and was worried about the same, but today when I went for my final evaluation with the hospital staff, ever one stated that is a great thing because when I get banded next Tuesday that will help the process.:unsure:

I asked the surgeons office this same question and she informed me that it wasn’t expected for me to lose any weight the insurance company just request this information for documentation purposes.

Remember the weighs in must be around the same date each month or you will have to start the process all over again.

Yep I was also told 7 visits would have to be made.

Lucky me after reviewing my insurance companies (double coverage) I will not have to any visits. I

I gained 10 lbs but had a long history of on/off medically supervised diets.

If you don't lose any weight, it is just that much longer will take to reach your goal.

If you lose enough weight to make a difference in insurance coverage, you may want to rethink the surgery yourself.

You have 6 months with a dietitian. Take advantage of the time. Practice the rules and behaviors that will be required once banded.

I had 5.5 months from initial consultation until surgery and dropped 50% of my excess weight (95 lbs) by cutting down my portion and practicing. The surgeon's office sent my initial weight to the insurance company. So, it didn't make a difference.

I went through with surgery anyways because I didn't get the band to lose weight. I got it to keep me from gaining the weight I am working hard to lose.

If you want to just sit around for 6 months and wait for the band to do the work for you, you'll be sorry. It is up to us to do the work. The band is just a tool to help us.

Hey Amber,

I noticed you’re from Tuscaloosa. Are you using Dr. Bradley Bilton?

Have you already attended the seminar? If so please elaborate on the experience and the educational knowledge gained. I am scheduled for the August 10th seminar that was changed today to August 17th.

Any information you can provide would be great……

Thanks,

Cherry03

Hello Amber!

Thank you for asking the question that I have been very curious about! And, thank you all for your candid answers. There is so much to learn about this process, and I am thankful to all on this site who have the same questions, concerns and emotions that I am going through as I begin this journey!

Good Luck, Amber!!

~Lisa

Hello Shadena!

I am in Western Pennsylvania, too!! Close to Erie! Hello neighbor!!

~Lisa

I was wondering the same thing. I too have to have 6 months of dietition appointments. My dietition told me that someone she knows was denied by her insurance company because she gained weight during the 6 months. So I am determined to either lose a little bit of weight or at least stay at where I am. I would be devistated if I was denied by insurance just because I gained a few pounds in the 6 months.

Hello Shadena!

I am in Western Pennsylvania, too!! Close to Erie! Hello neighbor!!

~Lisa

Howdy Neighbor!!!!!

To ease your worries, in my 6 mos i had gained, i had not lost until mos 6. with my ins, as long as my ending weight was the same or lower i was fine. I lost 12.5 lbs in mos 6 and i was approved with no questions asked!!! i hope that helps:redface:

Howdy Neighbor!!!!!

Howdy to you too, Neighbor!!