Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"god" wants me, needs me, shows me....

Patty, that is the sad part so many people believe in our Father but don't live their lives that refects a relationship with him. It's the darkness in the world that tries to distort the truth but there is only one truth, One Lord-Jesus, one faith-God's faith, & one baptism -and that is into the Lord.

Ask anyone whose young child was dying of cancer if their prayers were answered. Heard about any terminal cancer patients on their deathbed making any miraculous recoveries? No. And we're to believe this is all part of some plan?
Its not like praying affects the outcome anyway. Bad things still happen to people that pray. What I don't get is that these people then rationalise this by saying that it was part of God's plan and they worship him even more!

You fail to understand the 'bigger' picture. When death comes, God rejoices. "blessed in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." To God, there is more to our lives than just this life on earth. Our souls are eternal. In Heaven there is no time. This is our temporary home.

The bible says that "the prayers of the righteous are powerful and effective." Who are the 'righteous'? Those who believe in Jesus. HE has made them righteous in the sight of God. Many people turn to God in prayer when they have urgent needs (a dying child, a sick family member, etc.) yet, ignore God and have no relationship with Him at other times. It says that the prayers of the 'righteous' are powerful and effective. This tells me that God hears those who are believers in Him. Does He hear the unbeliever's prayers? I believe he hears their prayers for salvation. He hears them when they repent of their sins. For this is what is required to bring them into right relationship with him. Once they are made "righteous", then their prayers can be powerful and effective, too.

There are many testimonies of believers praying for cancer that was healed, and believers praying for God's mercy and it was given. Numerous examples all over the world. And, yes, sometimes God answers our prayers with a "no." And we trust that He alone knows what's best in every circumstance.

I don't know why so many believe in a God.

there are many possibilities:-

1. Community/culture/peer pressure.

2. It gives them some comfort.

3. It is a way of trying to explain things that we cannot explain.

4. Indoctrination/brainwashing.

5. Because people want to believe that there is a greater plan.

6. Because people cannot accept that we have one life and this is it.

7. because believing in some kind of supreme being takes away some responsibility.

I am sure there are lots of other reasons.

Patty, that is the sad part so many people believe in our Father but don't live their lives that refects a relationship with him. It's the darkness in the world that tries to distort the truth but there is only one truth, One Lord-Jesus, one faith-God's faith, & one baptism -and that is into the Lord.

I agree wholeheartedly. It is true that sooo many believe in God, and yet so few of them actually nurture their relationship with him. They are busy, or they are caught up with life and all that is happening around them. So, they don't talk to God and read his word. They are missing out on something wonderful. I'm so glad that you're not missing out!:sad: God bless you.

7. because believing in some kind of supreme being takes away some responsibility.

8. Need an excuse to get dressed up on Sunday mornings.

9. Justify their hate of other people and cultures.

10. Because everyone else is doing it.

I also find it interesting that people mock Scientology because their beliefs:-

-are based on a book written by a man

- they believe in some Supreme being called Zog( apologies if I have that wrong)

- believe that we were left here by aliens a long time ago etc etc

Why is this so unbelievable? In many ways it is very similar to christianity which is also

- based on a book written by men

- has a Supreme being called God

- believes that we were created in one day and that we all come from Adam and Eve.

To me they are both as believable/unbelievable as each other.

I'm just going to put my trust in Dr Who because I am sure when the end of the world comes he will save me!

Or, maybe they believe because:

1. They have experienced His presence among them.

2. They understand that for every painting there is an artist.

3. He has entered into them through His Holy Spirit and communes with them.

4. God has made Himself known to them in some way.

5. They have tasted his goodness.

6. They sought after Him and found Him.

7. When they read His words from the scripture,they asked Jesus to be their Savior as it instructs them to do, and they were 'born again' spiritually. And once that happens, there is NO denying that God is real.

Your #7 is actually the opposite of what you say. Knowing God makes you responsible to Him, it doesn't take away your responsibilities. Many people don't want to accept the fact that God is real, because if they did, then they would have to be responsible to Him. And they don't want to be.

God is a gentleman. He will not force his way upon anyone of his creation. He desires that all should come to know Him. But, it is each individuals choice to have Him in their life or not.

How is it that sooooo many of us are duped and you're not??:sad:

That can be answered by the number of people who are duped by the tea party and who actually believe that movement is about spending and deficits. :(

Ask anyone whose young child was dying of cancer if their prayers were answered. Heard about any terminal cancer patients on their deathbed making any miraculous recoveries? No. And we're to believe this is all part of some plan?
Its not like praying affects the outcome anyway. Bad things still happen to people that pray. What I don't get is that these people then rationalise this by saying that it was part of God's plan and they worship him even more!

You fail to understand the 'bigger' picture. When death comes, God rejoices. "blessed in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." To God, there is more to our lives than just this life on earth. Our souls are eternal. In Heaven there is no time. This is our temporary home.If death is such a joy, then why even bother with "creating" us? I'm sure the wife and mother who lost her husband and two of her triplets in that freak accident didn't rejoice.

The bible says that "the prayers of the righteous are powerful and effective." Who are the 'righteous'? Those who believe in Jesus. HE has made them righteous in the sight of God. Many people turn to God in prayer when they have urgent needs (a dying child, a sick family member, etc.) yet, ignore God and have no relationship with Him at other times. It says that the prayers of the 'righteous' are powerful and effective.This is insulting. As if to say, well if your dying loved one doesn't recover, it's because you don't have the right relationship with Jesus and your prayers won't be answered. This tells me that God hears those who are believers in Him. Does He hear the unbeliever's prayers? I believe he hears their prayers for salvation. He hears them when they repent of their sins. For this is what is required to bring them into right relationship with him. Once they are made "righteous", then their prayers can be powerful and effective, too.

There are many testimonies of believers praying for cancer that was healed, and believers praying for God's mercy and it was given. Numerous examples all over the world. And, yes, sometimes God answers our prayers with a "no." And we trust that He alone knows what's best in every circumstance.

Doctors have said that there are maybe a handful of cases where someone whose terminal cancer has disappeared. This among the millions who die of cancer every year. Not enough to substantiate some miracle by those who had the right relationship to God and whose prayers were answered.

The presidency of Obama is God's plan. He wants us to see how harmful the rich and greedy republicans have been to his children. Obama is God's message to them and to the hateful and the hypocrits. His policies are part of God's plan to make our country a more loving and fruitful place. God has called out the evil speakers to tell the truth like right wing talk show hosts and religious leaders who preach hate. God doesn't make mistakes so this was meant to be. Why not be on God's side and help Obama carry out his plan instead of rejecting Obama and God out of selfishness?

Obama was not the choice of Christians. But he was the choice of the people. God did not come to vote. He gave free will to people and they went down to the polls and voted. And now look what we are stuck with.

Obama was not the choice of Christians. But he was the choice of the people. God did not come to vote. He gave free will to people and they went down to the polls and voted. And now look what we are stuck with.

By christians, do you mean the conservative christian right? Because if you mean christians in general, then you are wrong because most of those who voted for President Obama were christian. Don't highjack the term christian to only mean the conservative born-agains. That is unfair to the rest of us.

And what we are stuck with is a great president who is digging us out of the hole that bush and 8 years of his failed policies got us into.

If death is such a joy, then why even bother with "creating" us? I'm sure the wife and mother who lost her husband and two of her triplets in that freak accident didn't rejoice.

[end quote]

Death IS a joy... to God and to those who love Him.

The problem is that people do not understand the spiritual life of human beings. Those who have not been born again, I mean, don't understand. The world we live in is a battlefield spiritually, and God must let the battle ensue so that good can conquer evil in the end. The mother who lost her children in an accident that you speak about, are only thinking about the present, and what a loss it is, and her griief. I can understand that. I just lost my own mother recently. I certainly understand grief. But, even though these things happen in life and are very much so a part of life, it doesn't mean that God is not real and/or doesn't care about us because he allows them to happen. It just means that sometimes Satan wins a battle now and then temporarily. All the more reason for Christians to step up their prayers. But, have no fear, he may win a battle sometimes, but the war itself is won by God. In the end, He has the victory!