Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone cheat on the pre -op diet

Thanks, kcarny i appreciate you

The pre-op diet is not for losing weight, its not so your Dr can torture you, its so you will have the best chance at having a SAFE surgery. Its to protect your health. Its to shrink your liver and provide access to your stomach. I did a 2 week liquid diet of 5 Optifast shakes a day and Water, only. But since I thought it was important to live through the surgery, I did what my Dr ordered.

Support is one thing but telling someone that its OK to disregard their Dr's medical advice, which could affect the outcome of their surgery and adversely affect their health, that is not support.

Tracie-- You should call your Dr and let him/her know what you have been eating and confirm that it is still safe for you to have surgery. The Dr needs to know what s/he is actually working with instead of thinking that you have been on the pre-op diet. In my Dr's written instructions it stated that if he started the banding procedure and then was able to tell that I had not followed the diet based on stomach or intestine contents that he would sew me up and send me on my way without the band. Oh, and he would keep my $10K that I had paid.

I am not trying to minimize the difficulty of the pre and post op diets. I know its hard but its not something that is optional.

I agree with Leigha and with BT.

It is so important to stick with the pre-op diet the surgeon gave you. My surgeon told me of a lady who did not stick to the pre-op diet. When he had her on the operating table, under general anes., surgical team all in place, already inside her, he found that her liver was so think there was no way he could do the surgery. He closed her back up and went out to tell her family member about it. The family member then told him what she had been eating instead of following his pre-op diet.

I agree with Leigha and BTrieger. My pre-op was 3 shakes a day and water..nothing else. As well as Leigha my doctor had the right to sew me back up if he saw that I hadn't followed his guidelines once he opened me up and I would be out $14k that I had already paid. I looked at it as if I was willing to cheat on the pre-op then I might as well not go thru with the surgery because I would just cheat on the band. You have to have the right mindset and be ready for this. It is a major change in life.

As for BTrieger..he lost 95 lbs on his pre-op and has been very successful since being banded. I have been banded for 7 1/2 months and have lost 103 lbs..so it doesn't have to be a male or female thing.

This site is for support and most everyone is supportive in thier own ways. BT's response about caps is a known email ettiquite..emailing in all caps is referred to as shouting.

I hope every has a wonderful day and the best on thier journey.

Thanks: Leighamason i do understand and it was a salad nothing else since than and i called that next day to let them know how hard it was and they told me i could have solid Soups low sodium and because my friends daughter died from complications after her lap band surgery i do really understand the how important it is to stick to the diet thanks for the info.

@ finallyncontrol as i told (btriger) this isn't about how i type on my wall and " i know it considered shouting (when texting) " this isn't texting but i won't go back n forth about this was about me making a mistake, as i sent a message to (btrieger) and told him it's a way to say eveything and the way he approached the question was just not nice to put it lightly i'm a firm believer that you can catch more bees with honey than vinegar. This board is for support get to know me before you give me tuff love cause i may be at a weak time in my life and when he said to me you can't even stick to the liquid diet so you shouldn't have it no no no if i could stick to a diet that easy i wouldn't be on the site preparing for surgery. So just be mindful is all i'm saying

This coming from a guy who still eats at Subway once a week! snipped......

I am curious...what is wrong with eating at Subway?

It isn't forbidden for me. There are plenty of band friendly choices there.

My surgeon even asks when judging fill time, "how much of a Subway sandwich can you eat?"

BECAUSE I CAN AND I CARE :) it is hard....especially the 1st few days as our bodies come use to it...and all of us have been placed on different variations of the preop diet.

like im 2 shakes, and either a serving of Soup or cottage cheese....

IT GETS EASIER.....IM LOOKIN AT THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD AND SEEING THE BAND WIZARD ON THE 19TH........LETS GO LADIES, AND THE 1 SPOILED APPLE.

Wow---so many kind peeps here with words of support. I love it! Today is day 3 for me and I can say whole heartedly that: liquid DIETS SUCK!!! <<chuckle>> But---I'm down 8lbs in 3 days---holy cow!! So I'm going to hang in there and I hope everyone else who is currently doing their pre-op diet hangs in there, too! We can get through this!!!

@ finallyncontrol as i told (btriger) this isn't about how i type on my wall and " i know it considered shouting (when texting) " this isn't texting but i won't go back n forth about this was about me making a mistake, as i sent a message to (btrieger) and told him it's a way to say eveything and the way he approached the question was just not nice to put it lightly i'm a firm believer that you can catch more bees with honey than vinegar. This board is for support get to know me before you give me tuff love cause i may be at a weak time in my life and when he said to me you can't even stick to the liquid diet so you shouldn't have it no no no if i could stick to a diet that easy i wouldn't be on the site preparing for surgery. So just be mindful is all i'm saying

Tracie, I come across a little harsh to some but honestly, I do it trying to help. What I said was meant as, "get back on your liquid diet. It's only 2 weeks and the changes you have to make for the lapband are forever. I am assuming you are taking surgery seriously and the last paragraph was the crux of my response.

It took a heart attack at 44 to wake me up. A stranger being frank with you is a lot less painful trust me.

As for creature1975 saying that I am always rude; well, rude is relative. It all depends on how something is interpreted. She should look for my picture on Dr Kim's wall next time she's in Colleyville. :)

Bob

@NEWMEIN10 I'M WITH YOU I HAVE MY SURGERY ON THE 19th AS WELL GOOD LUCK THIS TIME NEXT YEAR WE'LL BE IN OUR SHORTS AND SUN DRESSES. AGAIN GOOD LUCK AND EVERYONE LETS KEEP ENCOURAGING EACH OTHER

Tracie, I come across a little harsh to some but honestly, I do it trying to help. What I said was meant as, "get back on your liquid diet. It's only 2 weeks and the changes you have to make for the LAP-BAND®®® are forever. I am assuming you are taking surgery seriously and the last paragraph was the crux of my response.

It took a heart attack at 44 to wake me up. A stranger being frank with you is a lot less painful trust me.

As for creature1975 saying that I am always rude; well, rude is relative. It all depends on how something is interpreted. She should look for my picture on Dr Kim's wall next time she's in Colleyville. :)

Bob

I don't know how having your picture on the wall has anything to do with being rude. A person's weight, or how they look, has nothing to do with how they should communicate with others.

I don't know how having your picture on the wall has anything to do with being rude. A person's weight, or how they look, has nothing to do with how they should communicate with others.

I know but obviously you don't like me and it's gotta burn you up to see how successful someone you dislike is. It gives me that much more motivation.